HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
What exactly don't you understand about Hughes assets and rebuilding?
I'd like to know because you aren't making any sense at this point.

If we were a playoff team and had a sure fire upgrade maybe you could make this argument.
I like Struble but he is not a huge upgrade on Jordan Harris he just plays a different game.
Unless you don't believe we are still rebuilding?

I don't see what is the point with rebuilding. None of Harris or Struble will probably have any impact on our team as a whole. They are depth player and will return in a trade insignificant pieces such as 3rd RD pick. (I do think Struble could fetch an interesting pieces tho.) So insignificant that it is not worth pursuing micro roster management. Lets play our stud and give them the prime time.

Also, with the plethora of U25 blue chip talent we have namely Slafkovsky, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Demidov, Guhle, Hutson and Reinbacher. Thats on top of Newhook, Roy, Hage, Matheson, Mailloux and there is even more.

I don't see the point in tanking anymore personally and the good news is that we won't either.

For semantics, we are in the upward stage of the rebuild.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Sure they will all get plenty of ice time. We tend to play 10 Ds per year.

Xhekaj and Struble can wait their turn a bit, play 50 games. That's perfectly fine. Hutson needs to play 82 games. Barron needs to play as much as possible.
So why not send Mailloux/Reinbacher/Struble down to start the season as you say we will end up with like 10 D with NHL games anyways, so might as well have those young guys in the AHL playing big minutes whenever the roster is healthy.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
For Sure no way are we taking on the Penguins or anyone else's horrible Gaffes.
Can you imagine how Hughes feels every time he looks at the immovable parts of his roster thinking about what could have been.
Letang is different: HE is asking to be traded to Montreal according to Madden (when does THAT happen?); he is KH’s ex-client; proven vet who can make another vet expendable (hummmmm…). He is still valuable on the ice, and would be a good mentor.

Something unhealthy is happening it Pittsburgh. Rumours are that Malkin will play out his last year there and then go back to Russia. Still no contract extension for 87 (although all signs point to that). I think Doufus is already planning a rebuild and aiming for McKenna.

I would not be shocked to see this trade happen. Even at 37, Letang is somewhat of a high profile name. Wouldn’t that make Matheson expendable? Just sayin’.

Reactions: Runner77 and the

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Letang is different: HE is asking to be traded to Montreal according to Madden (when does THAT happen?); he is KH’s ex-client; proven vet who can make another vet expendable (hummmmm…). He is still valuable on the ice, and would be a good mentor.

Something unhealthy is happening it Pittsburgh. Rumours are that Malkin will play out his last year there and then go back to Russia. Still no contract extension for 87 (although all signs point to that). I think Doufus is already planning a rebuild and aiming for McKenna.

I would not be shocked to see this trade happen. Even at 37, Letang is somewhat of a high profile name. Wouldn’t that make Matheson expendable? Just sayin’.
He's a 35+ contract with 4 years left. Even if they retain 50%, they better take Anderson or Gallagher or both back.

Sorry Kris, but you messed up on that deal.

Reactions: BLONG7

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
He's a 35+ contract with 4 years left. Even if they retain 50%, they better take Anderson or Gallagher or both back.

Sorry Kris, but you messed up on that deal.
You never know. You never know…Any deal can be made. If he is forcing Doufus’ hand, you never know…
And it would be a sign to the kids that HuGo are serious in surrounding them with quality vets. Letang is not a chump, even at his age and his history of health issues.
Deals happen when both parties are interested. KH must be interested. No doubt in my mind. All that matters is if the deal is good enough. Again, this trade is the more plausible one short term, because the player is asking for it (I’m still floored about that one. He’s Sid’s best bud. And he made his family nest in Steeltown).

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He was noticeably better after coming back from Laval towards the end of the year. Of course playing at a NHL level for a consistent period of time will be his determining factor of staying with the club moving forward.

Imo, Arber has nothing secured until he shows he can be a solid defender. All the tools are there, he just needs reps and experience to help build that area of his game. Another big key is what I mentioned a month or two ago was him losing weight this summer so he can be more agile in his own end. He's always been very sluggish which led to so many of his garbage penalties. It should help. His new deal gives him a couple years to get his game in order.
He is a very good skater and is very agile for his size, his penalties have everything to do with discipline and maturity and absolutely nothing to do with his skating.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The term kills it for me though I do agree there is something unhealthy going on in Pittsburgh.
For me it started when they couldn't win a play-in against us Covid Year One.
I mean I see Letang's mobility going in the shitter before Mike Matheson's not to mention his scary health issues.
I seriously thought Kris was hanging them up after his 2nd stroke...

Other than that I do think Letang has been the better Dman over his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The term kills it for me though I do agree there is something unhealthy going on in Pittsburgh.
For me it started when they couldn't win a play-in against us Covid Year One.
I mean I see Letang's mobility going in the shitter before Mike Matheson's not to mention his scary health issues.
I seriously thought Chris was hanging them up after his stroke...

Other than that I do think Letang has been the better Dman over his career.
If the Madden rumour is true, I see some scenario where Letang sees Mtl on the upside, believes he can help the kids at the blue line (Pittsburgh is devoid of any young talent), is a winner, and sees a future in the hockey org with KH once he retires.

Again, if the rumour is true, I would not close down this one that quickly.

Reactions: Rapala and Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If the Madden rumour is true, I see some scenario where Letang sees Mtl on the upside, believes he can help the kids at the blue line (Pittsburgh is devoid of any young talent), is a winner, and sees a future in the hockey org with KH once he retires.

Well I've always said we'd need a veteran RD if we were to move Matheson.
For this to work we'd probably need that top 6 forward we are all craving as part of a Matheson package.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Letang just seems the wrong fit, on salary, term and age..............

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
You never know. You never know…Any deal can be made. If he is forcing Doufus’ hand, you never know…
And it would be a sign to the kids that HuGo are serious in surrounding them with quality vets. Letang is not a chump, even at his age and his history of health issues.
Deals happen when both parties are interested. KH must be interested. No doubt in my mind. All that matters is if the deal is good enough. Again, this trade is the more plausible one short term, because the player is asking for it (I’m still floored about that one. He’s Sid’s best bud. And he made his family nest in Steeltown).
It would be easier for Letang if he decided to retire, leave all that money on the table. Then he can announce his return with the habs on a short term deal. He's just completely un-tradeable otherwise.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I'd absolutely love it IF he had, like, 2 years left instead of 4.

Could enable to trade BOTH Matheson and Savard, but especially Matheson, and not having to play Guhle on the right side.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'm interested in Letang. But it absolutely has to make sense financially. Like Anderson going the other way or Pittsburgh retaining.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
So why not send Mailloux/Reinbacher/Struble down to start the season as you say we will end up with like 10 D with NHL games anyways, so might as well have those young guys in the AHL playing big minutes whenever the roster is healthy.

Mailloux and Reinbacher are already sent down, they are automatic, there is only the window of "phenomenal" for them to make a spot.

And then you don;t have to send Stuble down and you keep him up because we will rotate 5 and 6, play a 7th, every night. Then there's nearly always a small injury that pushes all this bottom 4 (Harris, Struble, Xhekaj and Barron to play 60 games instead of 40. 60 games is enough for all these folks to progress. End of the season, if we trade Savard, that creates a spot for Mailloux to arrive. And maybe even Reinbacher if we a more long term injury in the top 4.

This is a false debate because we'll probably see Engstrom and Trudeau play some games....

Guhle is no ironman at all.
Matheson is often injured.
Fully expecting Hutson to have his rookie season adventures.
Savard is no ironman at his age.

There's 60 games baked in for probably 9 players.

7 * 82 = 574 game spots available.
574/9 = 64 games for 9 players.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Letang does not make sense at all and HuGo will not do it unless it opens some other opportunity:
Letang for Josh Anderson
In the background, have a gentleman agreement that Letang retires after 1 season.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It appears Letang is on a 35+ contract so early retirement doesn't work on him, his cap hit would stay. I'm all for improving the roster wherever possible but it doesn't seem likely there's any fit with Letang.

Question: James van Riemsdyk is 35, had over 0.5ppg last season (playing on Boston)... and hasn't retired... why is he still unsigned?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It appears Letang is on a 35+ contract so early retirement doesn't work on him, his cap hit would stay. I'm all for improving the roster wherever possible but it doesn't seem likely there's any fit with Letang.

Question: James van Riemsdyk is 35, had over 0.5ppg last season (playing on Boston)... and hasn't retired... why is he still unsigned?
Slow and not the best away from the puck.

Edit: I'd be for him, though. Likely more useful than RHP.

Letang has had so many random injuries, that he could be LTIRetired in 2, or 3 seasons.

Honestly, possible 1.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Did we talked about Kris Letang's request to be traded for Montreal? Extremely bad contract but if they want to take on Gallagher, I'd think about it. What is consensus here?
Not a chance in hell. Letang contract has 4 years left. Going to kill us when we cup contenders. Habs already over stacked on D.

I also don't want to disrespect our fallen stars again. Did that with Lafleur, Charbonneau, Chelios. Don't want to see that again. It helps now but destroys long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad