HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
We might but the reason not too is 5-6 of those 8 are young guys who need ice time so sitting them in the pressbox isn't a great idea.
It would be fine.

Even 3 rotating for 2 spots, that’s 2/3 games plus injury time.

Having a young player practicing with the best is highly underrated. Nothing wrong with a little extra gym time at that age too.

Reactions: Vachon23 and LaP

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
A Justin Barron going on waivers isn't a future star or a young RD, he'd be a fringe NHLer. At that point, his value would tend towards 0, and unless a team has space due injury, he wouldn't be claimed. Rebuilding teams have their own fringe NHLers also.
I think you're underrating Barron and heavily overrating what kinds of players other teams have on their third pairs. Gustav Lindstrom was claimed on waivers last year, no chance Barron clears.

It's really not a big deal. Struble is waiver exempt and they can just send him down to run 7D if we don't end up trading Harris.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Hutson, Harris, Xhekaj, and Barron can all rotate and of course there will be injury time, it isn't ideal but Savard will be moved at the TDL and then who knows. Isn't competition supposed to be good?
Like you said it isn't ideal, so why force 8D it when you could just go 7D give everybody more ice time and call a guy up when an injury inevitably occurs.

It would be fine.

Even 3 rotating for 2 spots, that’s 2/3 games plus injury time.

Having a young player practicing with the best is highly underrated. Nothing wrong with a little extra gym time at that age too.
Well at 8D it's 4 rotating for 2 spots, and if an injury happens then you call someone up. Look going 8D isn't the end of the world, but it just seems pointless given that we have guys who are exempt from waivers and have things they could work on in the AHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The problem is, he needs to play to develop. So if he hasn't taken that step, he'll likely be the 7th or 8th dman, and not playing.

I suspect he'll have to be patient until there are injuries, or until there is a trade.
As always there will be injuries and if not...they will rotate in and out.

Reactions: LaP

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No, by the end of the week he's either a Blues or an Oilers. Oilers can't trade him if they match.
Which is one dumb rule IMO. The restricted part falls on the incumbent once an offer sheet is tendered.
The team with the rights to begin with should have more avenues for recourse I mean those draft picks are garbage.

Last edited:

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Which is one dumb rule IMO. The restricted part falls on the incumbent once an offer sheet is tendered.
The team with the rights to begin with should have more avenues for recourse I mean those draft picks are garbage.
Their recourse was to sign them before the other team.

Can't blame players for wanting to get paid.

Reactions: BLONG7

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Their recourse was to sign them before the other team.

Can't blame players for wanting to get paid.
I don't blame he players.
I'm saying the rule is garbage the way it's set up. There should be a little more leeway to deal with poachers.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You are overthinking this.

Harris and Barron are going on waivers every single day possible if Hutson and Reinbacher/Mailloux are ready for the NHL.

There is no way these future star start in the AHL in the name of not losing Harris to waiver.
No they aren't that's totally false.
They both have NHL roster ready value and we'd grab anything from picks to prospects of a different position and skillset before we ever waive either.
Were you paying attention to our 3 goalie fiasco of last season Hughes will hold until he can make a deal.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Yaroslav Askarov , a highly sought-after young Russian goalie, could be moving on before the start of next season, according to reports from Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.
"The Nashville Predators reportedly still intend to trade promising youngster Yaroslav Askarov and a transaction could occur before the start of next season." - TVA Sports​

Reactions: Gustave

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't blame he players.
I'm saying the rule is garbage the way it's set up. There should be a little more leeway to deal with poachers.
The only way a team gets into this position is if their GM is incompetent and can't manage the cap and lowballs/mistreats players. There is supposed to be some chance of getting the player. I believe St Louis is also prohibited from trading the player(s) for 1 year as well.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The problem is, he needs to play to develop. So if he hasn't taken that step, he'll likely be the 7th or 8th dman, and not playing.

I suspect he'll have to be patient until there are injuries, or until there is a trade.
The glut is on the left side not the right. Guhle is out of place and Savard is on his way out.
Having to develop is not a problem and Barron is currently ahead of the other guys experience wise.
I don't get why some people are so fired up to graduate Reinbacher or Mailloux at this point.
Do people think Reinbacher is ahead of where Moritz Seider was at this point in his career?
Like Seider the plan was always to give him two full seasons to grow before bringing him up.
In Mailloux's case he still has work to do on perfecting his game from the back out.
I think it's best to give Reinbacher a top line minute munching role and Mailloux top 6 minutes with PP time.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was noticeably better after coming back from Laval towards the end of the year. Of course playing at a NHL level for a consistent period of time will be his determining factor of staying with the club moving forward.

Imo, Arber has nothing secured until he shows he can be a solid defender. All the tools are there, he just needs reps and experience to help build that area of his game. Another big key is what I mentioned a month or two ago was him losing weight this summer so he can be more agile in his own end. He's always been very sluggish which led to so many of his garbage penalties. It should help. His new deal gives him a couple years to get his game in order.
Yeah it's too bad he only managed a +6 with the ice time we gave him. I guess he should have been a +15 given how good our bottom 9 are. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Too old he's 37 with 4 years left. Gally has 3 left and is only 32. Much easier to hide an under performing 34-35 year old winger on the 4th line than it is to hide a 40 year old underperforming D man
For Sure no way are we taking on the Penguins or anyone else's horrible Gaffes.
Can you imagine how Hughes feels every time he looks at the immovable parts of his roster thinking about what could have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think you're underrating Barron and heavily overrating what kinds of players other teams have on their third pairs. Gustav Lindstrom was claimed on waivers last year, no chance Barron clears.

It's really not a big deal. Struble is waiver exempt and they can just send him down to run 7D if we don't end up trading Harris.
Barron has been underrated since he arrived. He is a kid, who has been up and down learning the NHL game. He is a valuable RHD who can create offense from the back end, and is working on his game in his own end.

Still think Harris, or Struble gets dealt for a forward before camp....would rather keep Struble and deal Harris but stay tuned.
We could deal a kid like Mailloux for help up front so who knows....one thing for certain there are a few too many Dmen in our organization who can play in the NHL.

Reactions: Rapala

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Barron has been underrated since he arrived. He is a kid, who has been up and down learning the NHL game. He is a valuable RHD who can create offense from the back end, and is working on his game in his own end.

Still think Harris, or Struble gets dealt for a forward before camp....would rather keep Struble and deal Harris but stay tuned.
We could deal a kid like Mailloux for help up front so who knows....one thing for certain there are a few too many Dmen in our organization who can play in the NHL.

Anyone who requires going through waivers will be staying up, they won't lose assets for free. If Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom and/or Mailloux force their way in, they can always be sent back to the AHL in the interim while we resolve the roster log jam. That won't hurt anyone - they would be transparent in that their play was enough to make the team and that it is a matter of when they'll be back.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Barron Xhekaj Struble and Harris have all being under rated of late because of the popularity of Reinbacher Hutson and Mailloux.
I watched a good number of games in Laval last season and sure enough good plays were ignored in one group as were bad plays in the other.
If you go look at the GDT's towards the end of the season I was commenting quite often on Barron's improved play.
Specifically on moving the puck quickly and using his big frame.
I wasn't imagining it either my in game takes are usually very solid.
Both guys got send down so obviously both guys are shit. :help:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Anyone who requires going through waivers will be staying up, they won't lose assets for free. If Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom and/or Mailloux force their way in, they can always be sent back to the AHL in the interim while we resolve the roster log jam. That won't hurt anyone - they would be transparent in that their play was enough to make the team and that it is a matter of when they'll be back.
This is exactly the same for our forward group.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Guess he was talking start of the season when hundreds of players are on waivers and maybe a handful gets claimed, often guys we never heard of, while guys where evryone say they would never pass sneak through.
Mid season (like Lindstrom) is another story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad