HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
In the unlikely event that there are no injuries, I'm in favour of starting Reinbacher and Hutson in the AHL, and giving Barron 40 games in the NHL. I think that he's a good young D, and worst case scenario he can be flipped.
Barron must now be waived so he'll play in the NHL unless traded.

Also on a side note the more i check the condition on that 3rd pick from the Allen trade the more i think hey there's a legitimate chance it becomes a 2nd round pick. NJ should make the playoffs this year and it just takes one injury to Markstrom making him miss a month or two and Allen could play in 40 games.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Did we talked about Kris Letang's request to be traded for Montreal? Extremely bad contract but if they want to take on Gallagher, I'd think about it. What is consensus here?
Too old he's 37 with 4 years left. Gally has 3 left and is only 32. Much easier to hide an under performing 34-35 year old winger on the 4th line than it is to hide a 40 year old underperforming D man

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The problem is, he needs to play to develop. So if he hasn't taken that step, he'll likely be the 7th or 8th dman, and not playing.

I suspect he'll have to be patient until there are injuries, or until there is a trade.
I highly doubt they'll ask two young LHD to play on the right side.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Hughes is an asset manager. He kept 3 goalies and Primeau on the bench for a large part of the season last year, rather than exposing him to waivers. He'll likely keep Barron as the 8th dman before exposing him to waivers, if Barron can't crack the top 6/7 and Hughes doesn't like the trade offers. But on defense there likely will be injuires.
I don’t believe Barron has a really high trade market value right now. However, no way a bottom team like the Sharks won’t grab him on waiver market. Even a contender team would take a chance on a 22 years old dman

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Too old he's 37 with 4 years left. Gally has 3 left and is only 32. Much easier to hide an under performing 34-35 year old winger on the 4th line than it is to hide a 40 year old underperforming D man
Only way Letang would interest us is as a cap dump and he's not a cap dump yet so yeah not hapenning. Don't see KH paying assets to acquire a 37 years old dman.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
He was noticeably better after coming back from Laval towards the end of the year. Of course playing at a NHL level for a consistent period of time will be his determining factor of staying with the club moving forward.

Imo, Arber has nothing secured until he shows he can be a solid defender. All the tools are there, he just needs reps and experience to help build that area of his game. Another big key is what I mentioned a month or two ago was him losing weight this summer so he can be more agile in his own end. He's always been very sluggish which led to so many of his garbage penalties. It should help. His new deal gives him a couple years to get his game in order.

Arber doesn't have a full time role D secured but he certainly has the enforcer role secured, that's why every other team would give a 1st for him and why he's going to get 40 games at least (everytime we need muscle). For Xhekaj its the Lyle Odelein progression curve that matters.

Reactions: dralaf and jrom

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't see the need to rush Mailloux or Reinbacher to the NHL even if Barron struggles badly. Could they play and develop at the NHL level, I think yes, but they also still have things they can learn at the AHL level as well. So if everyone is healthy it's better for them to be playing in the AHL where they can get minutes rather then rotating in and out of the lineup as the 6-8 guy.

Reactions: Treal

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I don't see the need to rush Mailloux or Reinbacher to the NHL even if Barron struggles badly. Could they play and develop at the NHL level, I think yes, but they also still have things they can learn at the AHL level as well. So if everyone is healthy it's better for them to be playing in the AHL where they can get minutes rather then rotating in and out of the lineup as the 6-8 guy.
Barron will struggle.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I found Barron much better already last year, he's one step away from being a full time NHL D. Patience.
Patience is not a common trait of HF posters. It's always extremes. 19 y.o. Slaf, bust. 21 y.o Suzuki, bust. 22 year old Cole, bust. 23 y.o Newhook, bust. Any UFA over 25 is a reclamation project who hasn't hit their potential yet so it'd be interesting to see what "magic" MSL can do on them to get them on track.

Same story...

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Losing Barron on the waiver wire would be a huge mistake.

Start the season with....

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris

Struble, Rein, Mailloux in Laval.

If Mailloux or Rein is showing big gains early....trade Savard and call them up to finish the season.

If both Rein and Mailloix make it impossible to keep them down, then Matheson becomes expendable as well.

In a crazy ideal world we finish the season with...

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Rein
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Losing Barron on the waiver wire would be a huge mistake.

Start the season with....

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris

Struble, Rein, Mailloux in Laval.

If Mailloux or Rein is showing big gains early....trade Savard and call them up to finish the season.

If both Rein and Mailloix make it impossible to keep them down, then Matheson becomes expendable as well.

In a crazy ideal world we finish the season with...

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Rein
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris

We'll keep 8D in Montreal, no reason not to.

Patience is not a common trade of HF posters. It's always extremes. 19 y.o. Slaf, bust. 21 y.o Suzuki, bust. 22 year old Cole, bust. 23 y.o Newhook, bust. Any UFA over 25 is a reclamation project who hasn't hit their potential yet so it'd be interesting to see what "magic" MSL can do on them to get them on track.

Same story...

Patience about HF Boards posters...they will see the light.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
We might but the reason not too is 5-6 of those 8 are young guys who need ice time so sitting them in the pressbox isn't a great idea.
Hutson, Harris, Xhekaj, and Barron can all rotate and of course there will be injury time, it isn't ideal but Savard will be moved at the TDL and then who knows. Isn't competition supposed to be good?

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A Justin Barron going on waivers isn't a future star or a young RD, he'd be a fringe NHLer. At that point, his value would tend towards 0, and unless a team has space due injury, he wouldn't be claimed. Rebuilding teams have their own fringe NHLers also. One more, just to throw dices in the place of one of your own is not good management.

Incidentally, that might be why he wouldn't be waived. Just to protect his value and see if any teams eventually in need of him can give something for his services, like a certain Ylonen. See where that lead him though...

They were waiting to get something for Allen at the TDL and he was on his way out, not Primeau. It's not the same context if Barron doesn't cut it. There isn't anyone who's going to make room for him, if he's not a NHL caliber dman.
I find it hard to believe that Barron would ever clear waivers. Somebody would claim him for sure. Still really young with lots of potential. It may be a make or break season with us but that’s only because we’ve got such a deep pack of young blueliners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad