HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Richer4444

Aug 7, 2024
Holloway numbers in the meh AJHL nothing special for a "AAA rep team star"

College numbers not great
AHL/NHL play zzzzzzzzz......I think he had a fight or 2

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Look at Holloway's NCAA's number his second year, which was his D+1. They were not great according to you ?

2nd in goals and points as a D-1 in the AJHL, not good either ?

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I like to see some offershhets finally, but I guess they should be used more and it would help the league. Using an offersheet could accelerate a rebuild for teams e.g. we have cap space so we could target someone like Mercer. The problem is a compensation. If we offer 4.58M, NJD would match, so if we want to be successful we have to go all the way to 6.8Mx2Y. That would be fine for us, but compensation would be 1st and 3rd. Our 1st would most probably be top 10 which would be insane to trade for Mercer.
AAVCompensation
$1 - $1,511,701None
$1,5111,701 - $2,290,4571 3rd-round pick
$2,290,457 - $4,580,9171 2nd-round pick
$4,580,917 - $6,871,3741 1st-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick
$6,871,374 - $9,161,8341 1st-round pick, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick
$9,161,834 - $11,452,2942 1st-round picks, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick
$11,452,294 or more4 1st-round picks

I think compensations should be more easy and rebuilding teams with cap space would use offer sheets much more.
Drafting late offer sheet is better way of getting top player. You have him all through his prime years, 23-30. Then can trade him around 30 recoup what you gave up. As apposed to signing a UFA at 30 and miss most his best years. Then his final 3 years be terrible unmovable contract

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Of course, but since all teams have 23 men rosters at the beginning of the season, they can't claim anyone without waiving or returning someone in the AHL themselves.

The risk is minimal, as waiver fodder are never gems enough to clear personnel.
This is not taking into account that there is a certain bargainbin inclined executive still working somewhere

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Did we talked about Kris Letang's request to be traded for Montreal? Extremely bad contract but if they want to take on Gallagher, I'd think about it. What is consensus here?

We have 8 D already so we would either have to trade Savard/Matheson early or trade one of the young guys.

Also, his deal is 4 years (ending at 41 years old), so it might be trouble later on.

Reactions: Jabba11

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Of course, but since all teams have 23 men rosters at the beginning of the season, they can't claim anyone without waiving or returning someone in the AHL themselves.

The risk is minimal, as waiver fodder are never gems enough to clear personnel.
I would be surprised if Barron would make it through waivers. He's a young RD -- some team would make room for him, especially a rebuilding team.

I could see the Habs carrying 8 defensemen at the start of the season if necessary. They carried three goalies most of last season rather than losing one on waivers. They won't risk losing a young defenseman.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Perhaps if you remove your confirmation bias glasses and actually look at his stats you will come up with something that closer resembles the truth. The kid put up 35 points in only 23 games as a sophomore at Wisconsin and 22 points in 33 games as a rookie in the AHL. He has been close to a PPG in the AHL since his rookie season while dealing with serious injury problems.

He has quite literally produced everywhere but the NHL and took a significant step forward in the playoffs with Edmonton this season. His main problem has been staying healthy and building momentum, but you go ahead and believe your own narrative.

I am not sure where he ends up as a player but there is ample evidence to suggest that he at the very least has the potential to be a top six forward.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Our D is a mess this year

Can't send down Harris or Barron
Struble is better then Harris so why would you put him in Laval ?

Matheson-Guhle (I don't like Guhle there)
Struble-Savard
Wifi-Barron
Harris

So Hutson-Mailloux-Reinbacher have no room at all ... unless someone gets injured.
Even then Harris is there to take over a injure guy.

Logically the D should look like this

Matheson-Mailloux
Hutson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Wifi-Reinbacher
Engstrom

Harris and Struble needs to be traded ASAP
Harris for a early 3rd
Struble for a late 2nd

You are overthinking this.

Harris and Barron are going on waivers every single day possible if Hutson and Reinbacher/Mailloux are ready for the NHL.

There is no way these future star start in the AHL in the name of not losing Harris to waiver.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I would be surprised if Barron would make it through waivers. He's a young RD -- some team would make room for him, especially a rebuilding team.

I could see the Habs carrying 8 defensemen at the start of the season if necessary. They carried three goalies most of last season rather than losing one on waivers. They won't risk losing a young defenseman.
A Justin Barron going on waivers isn't a future star or a young RD, he'd be a fringe NHLer. At that point, his value would tend towards 0, and unless a team has space due injury, he wouldn't be claimed. Rebuilding teams have their own fringe NHLers also. One more, just to throw dices in the place of one of your own is not good management.

Incidentally, that might be why he wouldn't be waived. Just to protect his value and see if any teams eventually in need of him can give something for his services, like a certain Ylonen. See where that lead him though...

They were waiting to get something for Allen at the TDL and he was on his way out, not Primeau. It's not the same context if Barron doesn't cut it. There isn't anyone who's going to make room for him, if he's not a NHL caliber dman.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
A Justin Barron going on waivers isn't a future star or a young RD, he'd be a fringe NHLer. At that point, his value would tend towards 0, and unless a team has space due injury, he wouldn't be claimed. Rebuilding teams have their own fringe NHLers also. One more, just to throw dices in the place of one of your own is not good management.

Incidentally, that might be why he wouldn't be waived. Just to protect his value and see if any teams eventually in need of him can give something for his services, like a certain Ylonen. See where that lead him though...

They were waiting to get something for Allen at the TDL and he was on his way out, not Primeau. It's not the same context if Barron doesn't cut it. There isn't anyone who's going to make room for him, if he's not a NHL caliber dman.
Barron is just 22 years old, so he is fact a young RD. Most defenseman are not fully developed at that age. There is still potential there. Some team would take a chance on that potential, IMO. I do not see him getting through waivers.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Barron is just 22 years old, so he is fact a young RD. Most defenseman are not fully developed at that age. There is still potential there. Some team would take a chance on that potential, IMO. I do not see him getting through waivers.

Agreed and it would be terrible asset management to let either of Harris or Barron go for nothing just to unnecessarily expedite the ascension of one of our younger prospects to the NHL. Hughes will do his utmost to collect fair value from any outgoing players and will also do his best to have players in the proper chairs but the latter does not take precedent over the former at such an early stage of the process.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
94 NHL games is clearly not enough time to truly gage this young player. One thing I am convinced of is that he won't be waived.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
94 NHL games is clearly not enough time to truly gage this young player. One thing I am convinced of is that he won't be waived.
Hughes is an asset manager. He kept 3 goalies and Primeau on the bench for a large part of the season last year, rather than exposing him to waivers. He'll likely keep Barron as the 8th dman before exposing him to waivers, if Barron can't crack the top 6/7 and Hughes doesn't like the trade offers. But on defense there likely will be injuires.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
He started his career too early, this is why he's waiver eligible now and this is why he has difficulties breaking the line up. If it's going too fast in the NHL for him, regardless of his age, he'll have to play in the AHL somewhere. If he can't get ice time with the Habs, like Ylonen, then keeping him in the stands is not going to do his career wonders.

Think about it, because having to waive him later means increasing risks he gets claimed, with all the injuries in the league piling up.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
You are overthinking this.

Harris and Barron are going on waivers every single day possible if Hutson and Reinbacher/Mailloux are ready for the NHL.

There is no way these future star start in the AHL in the name of not losing Harris to waiver.
Dunno… Hughes seems to hold his assets close and has been maximizing return on every one so far. And these future stars would not be any worse off with ahl time, especially as defensemen.

I want them both up because I think they blow Harris and Barron’s potential out of the water and would be much more fun to watch. Hutson would put on a show on the powerplay out of the box even if he may need sheltering (and we don’t even know if he does).. But there is a case to be made that probable injury call ups, possible extra D rotation especially for road games and maximizing Harris and Barron’s trade value - even if just for picks - could keep the org patient.

Reactions: dralaf

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Hughes is an asset manager. He kept 3 goalies and Primeau on the bench for a large part of the season last year, rather than exposing him to waivers. He'll likely keep Barron as the 8th dman before exposing him to waivers, if Barron can't crack the top 6/7 and Hughes doesn't like the trade offers. But on defense there likely will be injuires.
agreed 100%

Reactions: dralaf

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I found Barron much better already last year, he's one step away from being a full time NHL D. Patience.
The problem is, he needs to play to develop. So if he hasn't taken that step, he'll likely be the 7th or 8th dman, and not playing.

I suspect he'll have to be patient until there are injuries, or until there is a trade.

Reactions: Tyson

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The problem is, he needs to play to develop. So if he hasn't taken that step, he'll likely be the 7th or 8th dman, and not playing.

I suspect he'll have to be patient until there are injuries, or until there is a trade.

I think he will be used as 6th D, with Struble being the one waiting a bit more (and playing both side so that he gets more playing time)
One thing they have to manage here is they want to trade Savard, that means Barron needs to progress.

One guy that doesn't need to play as much as his role is more secured is Xhekaj.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I found Barron much better already last year, he's one step away from being a full time NHL D. Patience.
He was noticeably better after coming back from Laval towards the end of the year. Of course playing at a NHL level for a consistent period of time will be his determining factor of staying with the club moving forward.
I think he will be used as 6th D, with Struble being the one waiting a bit more (and playing both side so that he gets more playing time)
One thing they have to manage here is they want to trade Savard, that means Barron needs to progress.

One guy that doesn't need to play as much as his role is more secured is Xhekaj.
Imo, Arber has nothing secured until he shows he can be a solid defender. All the tools are there, he just needs reps and experience to help build that area of his game. Another big key is what I mentioned a month or two ago was him losing weight this summer so he can be more agile in his own end. He's always been very sluggish which led to so many of his garbage penalties. It should help. His new deal gives him a couple years to get his game in order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad