HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Maybe we can drop in and offer Edmonton a way out?

Jordan Harris
Jake Evans

For
2nd round pick 2025
2nd round pick 2026
2nd round pick 2027
Darnell Nurse (Edmonton retains 50%)

They have Leon Drasatl and Evan Bouchard to resign next year.

We then have Nurse for $4.5 mil per year.

Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Nurse
Xhekaj Mallioux
Struble Barron
Nurse was 6th D in Stanley cup final and wasnt bench due to status on the team...
Easiest no in history

Reactions: CapSpace

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I doubt there’s any Stanley cup winners or even serious contenders with 4th liners that young. Sure, the guys you mentioned might come up and start there, but my point was, you’re not winning a cup with 3 guys that young. You need experience. When you’re ready to compete, you don’t just stick a Mesar for example on your 4th line and hope he can handle it. Just putting a young guy on the 4th because you want him in the nhl doesn’t necessarily work.
We aren't trying to win the Stanley Cup at this point we are a minimum of three years out if not more.
The sooner we get them experience at this level the quicker they become serious glue type role players.
Mesar is not a role player he's an offensive asset and will have to displace someone higher up to make this team.
Beck is a center and Flojack is a potential center who can play wing these are the guys who bring a specific skill set to our club..
The kind of depth we need asap and these guys will be much better options as interchangeable parts than what we've been using.
Suzuki will become the veteran and the players graduating by next year will all have at least a couple of seasons under their belt.

Reactions: dralaf

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
My impression of Mesar is that he's top six or bust. He needs to do very well this year in the AHL, and if he does that might open trade options for Hughes, but it's hard to see Mesar playing on the 4th line unless the roster is heavily distorted by injuries.
Mesar small can't see him having a future in Montreal. It's last thing we need

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
My impression of Mesar is that he's top six or bust. He needs to do very well this year in the AHL, and if he does that might open trade options for Hughes, but it's hard to see Mesar playing on the 4th line unless the roster is heavily distorted by injuries.
Sorry, I just grabbed his name as an example. Some people think just because a guy deserves a call up, they can stick him on the 4th.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The picks can also be used in other trades to add improvements later.
You don't get much for a 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick at the TDL though. 3rd round picks at the deadline are worth meh depth. 2nd round picks are worth quality depth but still depth and not high quality depth.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I like to see some offershhets finally, but I guess they should be used more and it would help the league. Using an offersheet could accelerate a rebuild for teams e.g. we have cap space so we could target someone like Mercer. The problem is a compensation. If we offer 4.58M, NJD would match, so if we want to be successful we have to go all the way to 6.8Mx2Y. That would be fine for us, but compensation would be 1st and 3rd. Our 1st would most probably be top 10 which would be insane to trade for Mercer.
AAVCompensation
$1 - $1,511,701None
$1,5111,701 - $2,290,4571 3rd-round pick
$2,290,457 - $4,580,9171 2nd-round pick
$4,580,917 - $6,871,3741 1st-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick
$6,871,374 - $9,161,8341 1st-round pick, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick
$9,161,834 - $11,452,2942 1st-round picks, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick
$11,452,294 or more4 1st-round picks

I think compensations should be more easy and rebuilding teams with cap space would use offer sheets much more.

Reactions: bsl

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Did anyone actually believe they would hit the open market?
Every year we see the same hopes.

The fact is that in the entire cap era -- 2005-2024 -- only two high profile UFAs have contributed to a cup winner: Zdeno Chara and Marian Hossa. So UFAing is not a path to build a contending core. Am I forgetting anybody?

Reactions: dralaf

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Size is usually an issue in playoffs. Habs already exceptionally small in key areas
We have a couple of exceptionally small players but I don’t think we’ll be a small team.

I do like the idea of adding a big power forward though. Dach and Slaf are great but I’d like one more in the top six to help.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Every year we see the same hopes.

The fact is that in the entire cap era -- 2005-2024 -- only two high profile UFAs have contributed to a cup winner: Zdeno Chara and Marian Hossa. So UFAing is not a path to build a contending core. Am I forgetting anybody?

Scott Niedermayer would be another.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Kent Hughes has even publicly stated that he would like to add a piece to his top six if he can.

Last year, I think they realized they were still a year away from possibly being a playoff contender. But this year, from what we’ve heard from Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes, they wouldn’t be unhappy about finding that missing piece.

Also, the two guys that I think make the most sense for the Montreal Canadiens that have been mentioned in the last couple of months [Rutger McGroarty and Patrik Laine] are still available on the trade market.

I still think they could make a deal. There’s no rush, we’re still two months away from the regular season, so they’ve got 50 to 60 days. I like the way Kent Hughes makes deals, especially when he knows the player is available.” He's always waiting for the price to go down to make a trade." - Grant McCagg

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
The 22-year-old had a second excellent AHL season with Milwaukee, but only appeared in two games with the Preds this season. According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, the chatter in NHL circles is that Askarov does not want to play another year with the Admirals and that teams looking for a long-term solution in goal could be checking in with GM Barry Trotz.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Kent Hughes has even publicly stated that he would like to add a piece to his top six if he can.

Last year, I think they realized they were still a year away from possibly being a playoff contender. But this year, from what we’ve heard from Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes, they wouldn’t be unhappy about finding that missing piece.

Also, the two guys that I think make the most sense for the Montreal Canadiens that have been mentioned in the last couple of months [Rutger McGroarty and Patrik Laine] are still available on the trade market.

I still think they could make a deal. There’s no rush, we’re still two months away from the regular season, so they’ve got 50 to 60 days. I like the way Kent Hughes makes deals, especially when he knows the player is available.” He's always waiting for the price to go down to make a trade." - Grant McCagg
Couldn't agree more with McCagg here. Everypne wants to makes moves TODAY! or they think he's done and the roster is set to start the year, Meanwhile, the players mentioned in possible deals still haven't moved and then there are the ones no one has heard about.

I'm confident that Hughes ill make a move before the start of the season, and likely before camp starts. Plenty of time so no hurry to rush it. My money is on Zegras coming to Montreal. Just a guess on my part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad