HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
at 3.5M$ it is a lot less money and there is a lot more team able to take that contract, it definately won't get a 1st...

I think you can get a 1st by taking Kane's contract but yeah Ceci played relatively well last year i think they can even get something in return for him not max return but a little something.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Petry was a cap dump and Poehling was seen as a bust. Come on now.
He was not a cap dump for Pittsburgh. The only reason the trade was made is because they wanted Petry. In any event what matheson was worth 2 years before that means nothing. Verhaege was aquired for nothing . Is he crap?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think you can get a 1st by taking Kane's contract but yeah Ceci played relatively well last year i think they can even get something in return for him not max return but a little something.
Barron and Price for Ceci and Henrique .

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
at 3.5M$ it is a lot less money and there is a lot more team able to take that contract, it definately won't get a 1st...
1) It’s not as much money true, but they are also under the gun time wise, I believe they have 4 days left before the signings go through. That wasn’t a consideration before.

2) The Habs are one of the few teams in the league that are able to simply take on the hit on short notice, and willing to do so…. All the other GM’s are aware of the Oilers situation. It will cost them if they want out - this way they keep their young players and add a minor asset. Helps them save face.

Reactions: Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Matheson was a cap dump just as much as Petry. He was coming off the worse year of his career.
Totally, totally false. 21-22 was the best year of Mike's career up to then, followed by better ones.

Mike was 34th in the league in ES points, which is #2D level. He was also +12 and second among all defencemen for game winning goals.

Pittsburgh got fleeced. Petry "poehled" in comparison. :naughty:

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It is known that Pittsburgh wanted to move Marcus Pettersson for Petry but Hughes was firm on Matheson and in the end, Pittsburgh settled for Matheson VS Petry.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The devils have just under 5 millions in cap space right now, so it would have a very low chance of working, but with hostile offers the cool thing right now, would you guys try one with Mercer ?
Absolutely not, because Mercer requires 1st round compensation, and the player we'll pick has favorable odds to end up better than Mercer.

It is known that Pittsburgh wanted to move Marcus Pettersson for Petry but Hughes was firm on Matheson and in the end, Pittsburgh settled for Matheson VS Petry.
Having better value than Marcus Petterson doesn't mean much.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
some say KH should take Ceci from edm to help them out.

enough bad contracts to help out, unless a 1st is the piece coming back

"I think the Oilers will match Holloway's offer." - Elliotte Friedman

Reactions: Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
some say KH should take Ceci from edm to help them out.

enough bad contracts to help out, unless a 1st is the piece coming back

"I think the Oilers will match Holloway's offer." - Elliotte Friedman
I think we could definitely make a trade with them, and even though he sucks, an established right handed dman is something the Habs don't have besides Savard. They definitely need defensement with a Ceci trade and not matching Broberg, so I could see them being interested in Harris/Struble/Barron.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I could see Hughes weaponizing some cap space to acquire some assets to “help” Edmonton out of the predicament that St Louis has placed them in with the RFA signings of Broberg and Holloway. Bowman will be looking to put his stamp on the Oilers, and can’t afford to lose two young, and key assets from Edmonton’s cup run last year before his team even plays a game.

Oilers need cap space, Habs want assets to take on cap, seems like a natural fit - I’d propose:

To Edmonton: 2025 3rd round pick (lowest of the 3)

To Montreal: Cody Ceci, 2026 1st round pick

Similar to the Monahan deal, Habs simply being opportunistic with their free cap space. Oilers would end up being out a first but would be shedding cap/player they don’t really need/want in order to keep their young guys.
Taking on Ceci is worth a later 2nd. Giving a 3rd on top is not enough to get a 1st in return.
I think Barron for Ceci and the 2026 1st makes more sense. Barron should still be worth an early 2nd.

Edmonton would get a younger RD to replace Ceci and save 2.1M in the process, enough to keep Holloway and Broberg with Kane on LTIR.
I think that would justify giving up that 1st for them. And MTL would look to the casual fan like they got a 1st for Barron.

Everybody save face...for now.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Taking on Ceci is worth a later 2nd. Giving a 3rd on top is not enough to get a 1st in return.
I think Barron for Ceci and the 2026 1st makes more sense. Barron should still be worth an early 2nd.

Edmonton would get a younger RD to replace Ceci and save 2.1M in the process, enough to keep Holloway and Broberg with Kane on LTIR.
I think that would justify giving up that 1st for them. And MTL would look to the casual fan like they got a 1st for Barron.

It depends. Everyone is probably going to be askiing for a 1st to take Ceci. If Habs are the best offer - an early 3rd for Ceci and a 1st - they might do it.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

So giving up Barron for a 24-32OA who could be Barron 6 years later. Seems like a bad idea.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
It depends. Everyone is probably going to be askiing for a 1st to take Ceci. If Habs are the best offer - an early 3rd for Ceci and a 1st - they might do it.
According to PuckPedia, taking on 3.25M is worth 41st OA, and that's like if Ceci has absolutely 0 value on ice. Like dead money.
If you think he should be paid minimum salary, then that 49th OA.
I know the Oilers are in a bit of a jam, but asking a 1st might be pushing it.
And there should be more than one team willing to take him on, so that helps the Oilers.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
So giving up Barron for a 24-32OA who could be Barron 6 years later. Seems like a bad idea.
Barron is also waiver eligible now and the Habs have too many Ds.

Getting a 1st pick instead gives them more flexibility.
It's a pick. They might get something better, or not.
Or they could use it in another trade.

Depends how you see Barron, i guess. I think they should try to get something of value for him before it's too late.
But i've never been a fan, so i might be biased.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad