HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
He was acquired for a cap dump and a fourth round pick 24 months ago.
so what ...lol It was 24 months ago as you said, not today. His role has changed, his 96 points in 130 games played here change his value. he's doubled his offensive production . Anyway, if a GM makes a bad trade, it doesn't mean that the next GM has also to do a bad trade

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Barron is also waiver eligible now and the Habs have too many Ds.

Getting a 1st pick instead gives them more flexibility.
It's a pick. They might get something better, or not.
Or they could use it in another trade.

Depends how you see Barron, i guess. I think they should try to get something of value for him before it's too late.
But i've never been a fan, so i might be biased.

I disagree Montreal has too defencemen. They currently have too many left shot defenceman, which they’ll have to figure out, but they don’t have enough right shot defenceman to just trade away a player like Barron.

Right now they have Savard, who is an UFA after this season, and some prospects (which obviously includes a, hopefully, very good player in Reinbacher). This has resulted in players like Guhle having to play his off side which isn’t ideal.

I think they have to give Barron some more time to see if he is able to develop into a consistent NHL player.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I disagree Montreal has too defencemen. They currently have too many left shot defenceman, which they’ll have to figure out, but they don’t have enough right shot defenceman too just trade away a player like Barron.

Right now they have Savard, who is an UFA after this season, and some prospects (which obviously includes a, hopefully, very good player in Reinbacher). This has resulted in players like Guhle having to play his off side which isn’t ideal.

I think they have to give Barron some more time to see if he is able to develop into a consistent NHL player.
Good post................sometime, some common sense goes a long way.
The hate for a 22 yr old Dman, who has already played 90 plus games, is beyond brutal.....

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
According to PuckPedia, taking on 3.25M is worth 41st OA, and that's like if Ceci has absolutely 0 value on ice. Like dead money.
If you think he should be paid minimum salary, then that 49th OA.
I know the Oilers are in a bit of a jam, but asking a 1st might be pushing it.
And there should be more than one team willing to take him on, so that helps the Oilers.
The problem is the pick is likely to be in the 50+ range. If none of the teams with cap space need a d then Ceci is just a problem for them. Of course it only takes one team to be willing to make a deal with a 2nd involved.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
According to PuckPedia, taking on 3.25M is worth 41st OA, and that's like if Ceci has absolutely 0 value on ice. Like dead money.
If you think he should be paid minimum salary, then that 49th OA.
I know the Oilers are in a bit of a jam, but asking a 1st might be pushing it.
And there should be more than one team willing to take him on, so that helps the Oilers.
Ceci wont go for a 1st. He's worth probably s 2nd at the deadline so if you get a 2nd for taking his contract then it's likely two 2nd round picks in return after the deadline. A team will surely bite for a 2nd.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I disagree Montreal has too defencemen. They currently have too many left shot defenceman, which they’ll have to figure out, but they don’t have enough right shot defenceman too just trade away a player like Barron.

Left handed dman can play on the right. Guhle did it a lot already. Struble can do it. We're not tied up because of lack of right handed dmen.

We're more tied up because some dmen we ice aren't up to the level, and then some of our vets... (you know who) ... fumble too much.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I think it's a given that they'd match anything under the 4.58 threshold. Anything above that and we'd have to give up our unprotected 1st for this upcoming season which seems like a disaster.

I think the added “challenge” now for those kind of deals is that they will want a vet on-board with coming here e.g. no Dadonov that just coasted until the TDL.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I mean, you can’t do anything with unused cap space… if they don’t have any plans for the cap space, they can take Ceci and a 2nd and 3rd then bury him in the AHL if he’s not one of the top7. Easy.

Reactions: Miller Time

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I mean, you can’t do anything with unused cap space… if they don’t have any plans for the cap space, they can take Ceci and a 2nd and 3rd then bury him in the AHL if he’s not one of the top7. Easy.
If Molson doesn't want to spend, cap space makes no difference.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Left handed dman can play on the right. Guhle did it a lot already. Struble can do it. We're not tied up because of lack of right handed dmen.

We're more tied up because some dmen we ice aren't up to the level, and then some of our vets... (you know who) ... fumble too much.

Sure they can but it’s a lot more difficult for defenceman to play their off side. It isn’t ideal to have Guhle playing the right side, he’s there because of the lack of options at this point in Montreal’s rebuild.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Sure they can but it’s a lot more difficult for defenceman to play their off side. It isn’t ideal to have Guhle playing the right side, he’s there because of the lack of options at this point in Montreal’s rebuild.
A good development experience then.

It's unfortunately simple for me. Justin comes to camp chewing grenades and shitting RPGs, or he rides the short bus to Laval :laugh:

I'd rather play someone on his off-hand than ice a player who's not up to the level.

The same applies for Harris.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Barron is also waiver eligible now and the Habs have too many Ds.

Getting a 1st pick instead gives them more flexibility.
It's a pick. They might get something better, or not.
Or they could use it in another trade.

Depends how you see Barron, i guess. I think they should try to get something of value for him before it's too late.
But i've never been a fan, so i might be biased.
I appreciate your honesty.
I get the Barron bias I really do. The original hype including what Sydney Crosby had to say about him hasn't yet come to fruition.
Instead we all saw a big clumsy guy who has tools but was falling over himself who didn't use his size properly and who lacked confidence.
This was not the Barron I saw finishing up the season in Laval. Heck look at the goal he scored against Detroit.

I'm surprised it's not evident to people that we've already made a decision on Barron.
On the one hand we hear about how we want to start getting serious about winning games on the other hand Kovacevic was the one we cut loose.
Both Justin Barron and Arber Xhekaj found themselves in Laval to work on certain aspects of their games.
I think it's safe to say our staff were pleased enough with their progress in the areas they identified as problems to offer them bridge contracts.
The thing about it is both those players have attributes others don't have and Hughes has always stressed Balance.

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Ceci + 1st 2026 for Jordan Harris?

Oils could say they did not strictly dump him and get cap relief. Makes no change in our Ds headcount. Adds two assets we can trade later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad