Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
He reminds me of Sherbak . Skilled. likable, saying right things, But with Sherbak I noticed pic popping up about him and girlfriend. Now Mesar, guy always mentioning girlfriend. I guess it just seems both havent focused on putting in all the work and time needed to get to the NHL.
I said several times from the things I heard that Scherbak may have been too laid back and more interested in joking around then working hard. With Mesar I was really hard on his efforts in his 1st season and rightly so imo, but he did at least show much more of an effort this past season and in the playoffs, though still has a ways to go as players that work hard only when they feel like it either will or won't get the message at some point.

It's impossible without really knowing the player how they will react. Some will buckle down and put the work in and others will play video games or whatever and then you don't hear too much about them.

That's why I called him a bust. I think he is a good hockey player with potential, but I just don't see him putting the work and effort to play in the NHL one day.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
That's why I called him a bust. I think he is a good hockey player with potential, but I just don't see him putting the work and effort to play in the NHL one day.

How can you say something like that about a player who was the best rookie in the 2022 camp?

Maybe its a culture issue. We saw how immature Slaf was in his first year, taunting the opponents, throwing dangerous hits... These guys coming off Slovakia were not taught hockey the same way, they don't know all the dos and donts of Canadian hockey. Slaf was not ready to be in the NHL in his first year but the canadiens din't want to lose face nor did they want to make the league look bad by sending a 1st OA in the AHL so they kept him up.

Although Mesar did everything they asked him to do and clearly sending him down to the OHL was a bad decision for his development, it seems he's getting no benefit of the doubt, despite doing pretty well in the second year.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I don’t recall to have see a player got 50 pts in 45 games in the OHL at 20 years old and making a top 6 in the nhl. Especially at 5 ft 9.
Leta face it, this guy is a going to be a bust at 95%
I said it after his first year in the ohl, and i have the same feeling today

Reactions: Habs

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I don’t recall to have see a player got 50 pts in 45 games in the OHL at 20 years old and making a top 6 in the nhl. Especially at 5 ft 9.

Hes 5.10, was playing with slovakia u20 at 15.... my bad hes listed at 5.09

Just wait

Last edited:

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
How can you say something like that about a player who was the best rookie in the 2022 camp?

Maybe its a culture issue. We saw how immature Slaf was in his first year, taunting the opponents, throwing dangerous hits... These guys coming off Slovakia were not taught hockey the same way, they don't know all the dos and donts of Canadian hockey. Slaf was not ready to be in the NHL in his first year but the canadiens din't want to lose face nor did they want to make the league look bad by sending a 1st OA in the AHL so they kept him up.

Although Mesar did everything they asked him to do and clearly sending him down to the OHL was a bad decision for his development, it seems he's getting no benefit of the doubt, despite doing pretty well in the second year.

Sending him to the OHL was clearly the correct decision.
I feel like he competed a little harder as the season wore down, but at no point did he dominate the opposition.

He's 20 yrs old, and has a few years of control left.
Hopefully a lightbulb goes off in Laval this year, otherwise he will have been a bust of a pick.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Sending him to the OHL was clearly the correct decision.
I feel like he competed a little harder as the season wore down, but at no point did he dominate the opposition.

He's 20 yrs old, and has a few years of control left.
Hopefully a lightbulb goes off in Laval this year, otherwise he will have been a bust of a pick.

ITs just way to early to say, he needs a real shot at pro level. Hes been playing with bigger tougher and more mature guys all his life, hes missing some foundations but im sure hell learn since hes a high IQ guy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Meh, if Slaf, Beck, Hutson, and Engstrom all hit, wouldn't really give a shit about Mesar.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I wouldn’t call him a bust if he doesn’t make it. Very few do. Even first rounders.

Reactions: Tyson

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I wouldn’t call him a bust if he doesn’t make it. Very few do. Even first rounders.
That’s the great thing about being a Habs fan; busts don’t exist here. Even our 1st rounders who don’t make it aren’t busts. Must suck to have a pick bust; what’s that like? Thankfully we’ll never know.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That’s the great thing about being a Habs fan; busts don’t exist here. Even our 1st rounders who don’t make it aren’t busts. Must suck to have a pick bust; what’s that like? Thankfully we’ll never know.

Too bad we couldn't have picked Kulich (let's forget that same team picked Savoie at 9 and traded him for a 3rd liner).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Cassels, Desjardins, Schneider, LeClaire in one draft is wild.
Probably have to give the 87 draft the nod.

In terms of their careers:

LeClaire > Pacioretty
Desjardins > McDonagh
Schneider > Subban
Cassells >>>> Y. Weber

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The majority of picks never make it. A guy picked in the 20’s who doesn’t make it isn’t a bust. Maybe a top 3 guy, but not that late.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If Gainey hadn't traded McDonagh in the Gomez deal...and Price hadn't gotten injured...
Never will we know. I have seen some trades in Habs history that had me shake my head in disbelief such as the Recchi trade for 3 good young players but the one I will never understand was the "throw in" of Ryan McDonagh. Sather wanted to get rid of Gomez's contract to make room for Gaborik. That was the objective. I read somewhere that a Rangers scout asked Sather to see if Gainey would add McDonagh. This deal would have gotten done without doing that. It was a salary dump.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Never will we know. I have seen some trades in Habs history that had me shake my head in disbelief such as the Recchi trade for 3 good young players but the one I will never understand was the "throw in" of Ryan McDonagh. Sather wanted to get rid of Gomez's contract to make room for Gaborik. That was the objective. I read somewhere that a Rangers scout asked Sather to see if Gainey would add McDonagh. This deal would have gotten down without doing that. It was a salary dump.
Gainey's strongest suit was never asset management.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Too bad we couldn't have picked Kulich (let's forget that same team picked Savoie at 9 and traded him for a 3rd liner).
In all seriousness, if it was just Kulich available, it wouldn’t be all that bad. But pretty much all the guys picked immediately after Mesar look great. Bystedt, Kulich, Lamoureux, Lambert, Howard, and Firkus have all progressed very nicely and are now on a different level than Mesar development wise. In the middle of a rebuild, a whiff like that really stings. Especially considering that it was just a bad pick from the jump and many people saw this coming.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In all seriousness, if it was just Kulich available, it wouldn’t be all that bad. But pretty much all the guys picked immediately after Mesar look great. Bystedt, Kulich, Lamoureux, Lambert, Howard, and Firkus have all progressed very nicely and are now on a different level than Mesar development wise. In the middle of a rebuild, a whiff like that really stings. Especially considering that it was just a bad pick from the jump and many people saw this coming.

They are always gonna whiff on picks. They picked Slaf Beck Hutson Engstrom in the same draft.

Reactions: Redux91 and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad