HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I’d be far more concerned about Letang’s health than anything else. This is a player who has already suffered two strokes.

Trading any consequential assets for this player at this stage would be an act of utter folly.
Absolutely agree, somewhat forgot about that trouble he has had.
There is just no case for me, that can be made on these several fronts, health, money, tern, age which is a significant list guys.
Now, if Sid wants to force a trade to the Habs, well we can talk about that !!

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I really think there is a trade coming guys....a Dman, a prospect, and a pick for something in the top 6 from a cap troubled team, or a team with a F who can't crack their top 6 but will crack ours, or be given a chance to crack ours.....
hope you are right

Letang just seems the wrong fit, on salary, term and age..............
no way they trade for him. no way

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
With the Broberg offersheet I think the Habs should 100% try to send them Matheson. Collect the picks, ask for a 1st and one of their B prospect like Bourgault, Petrov, Wanner or Berezkin. We can then either flip the first for help or sit tight and draft in the 25 range next year.

Trying to capitalize on a need from the market would be amazing.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It appears Letang is on a 35+ contract so early retirement doesn't work on him, his cap hit would stay. I'm all for improving the roster wherever possible but it doesn't seem likely there's any fit with Letang.

Question: James van Riemsdyk is 35, had over 0.5ppg last season (playing on Boston)... and hasn't retired... why is he still unsigned?
Exactly. The only way to get rid of Letang would be for him to go on LTIR until his contract runs out. And that could still be a problem. While he may want to finish his career in Montreal Gallagher, Matheson, Anderson and Savard all want to stay with Montreal. One of Savard or Matheson would have to be moved because Habs already have too many defensemen. Why move one guy who wantsto finish his career with the Canadiens to acomodate another?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
With the Broberg offersheet I think the Habs should 100% try to send them Matheson. Collect the picks, ask for a 1st and one of their B prospect like Bourgault, Petrov, Wanner or Berezkin. We can then either flip the first for help or sit tight and draft in the 25 range next year.

I believe they don't have a 2025 1st. I would do it for a 2026 1st and Petrov/Bourgault.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Bourgault was traded to Sens. We are leaving that stage of collecting picks and B prospects.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Bourgault was traded.

Their 1st was traded for a 2024 1st.

They don't have caps pace, that's why thet were offersheeted.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bourgault was traded to Sens. We are leaving that stage of collecting picks and B prospects.
Were throwing away this year without the addition of players, we can still accumulate and add next year via assets acquired in such a trade.
Bourgault was traded.

Their 1st was traded for a 2024 1st.

They don't have caps pace, that's why thet were offersheeted.
They can fit 4.5 millions pretty easily, especially for a D.

Dobson.
It's gonna hurt like a mofo but we have the pieces.

Seriously tho, he's been eligible to sign his extension for over a month, what's up with that Lou?
Send him the full bill if it's that. 24 YO 1RD. He makes us insta contenders. He's the only thing this rebuild needs.

Reactions: DiglettDangles

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Dobson.
It's gonna hurt like a mofo but we have the pieces.

Seriously tho, he's been eligible to sign his extension for over a month, what's up with that Lou?
Is there anyone Lou still needs to sign. He always wants to keep signings a secret until everyone is signed. Dobson may already have a new contract.

Were throwing away this year without the addition of players, we can still accumulate and add next year via assets acquired in such a trade.

They can fit 4.5 millions pretty easily, especially for a D.

Send him the full bill if it's that. 24 YO 1RD. He makes us insta contenders. He's the only thing this rebuild needs.
If they can fit a 4.5mil contract they should just keep Broberg. They can just put Kane on LTIR for the year and dump another contract and keep Broberg and Holloway.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Picks maybe, but no more B prospects. You need playing time in AHL to develop them and we already have our own Farrell, Davidson, Kidney, Beck, Heineman, Tuch, Florian, Mesar. That is already almost three full lines.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Matheson has to be worth more than some leftovers and a pick in the 27-32 range in the draft.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Picks maybe, but no more B prospects. You need playing time in AHL to develop them and we already have our own Farrell, Davidson, Kidney, Beck, Heineman, Tuch, Florian, Mesar. That is already almost three full lines.
Not as the central part of a deal. Should be looking for 1sts, A prospects or players that have potential to develop into an A prospect. B prospects should only be add ons in a bigger deal unless they are getting them for nothing.

Reactions: calder candidate

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The devils have just under 5 millions in cap space right now, so it would have a very low chance of working, but with hostile offers the cool thing right now, would you guys try one with Mercer ?

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I could see Hughes weaponizing some cap space to acquire some assets to “help” Edmonton out of the predicament that St Louis has placed them in with the RFA signings of Broberg and Holloway. Bowman will be looking to put his stamp on the Oilers, and can’t afford to lose two young, and key assets from Edmonton’s cup run last year before his team even plays a game.

Oilers need cap space, Habs want assets to take on cap, seems like a natural fit - I’d propose:

To Edmonton: 2025 3rd round pick (lowest of the 3)

To Montreal: Cody Ceci, 2026 1st round pick

Similar to the Monahan deal, Habs simply being opportunistic with their free cap space. Oilers would end up being out a first but would be shedding cap/player they don’t really need/want in order to keep their young guys.

Reactions: Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The devils have just under 5 millions in cap space right now, so it would have a very low chance of working, but with hostile offers the cool thing right now, would you guys try one with Mercer ?
I think it's a given that they'd match anything under the 4.58 threshold. Anything above that and we'd have to give up our unprotected 1st for this upcoming season which seems like a disaster.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I could see Hughes weaponizing some cap space to acquire some assets to “help” Edmonton out of the predicament that St Louis has placed them in with the RFA signings of Broberg and Holloway. Bowman will be looking to put his stamp on the Oilers, and can’t afford to lose two young, and key assets from Edmonton’s cup run last year before his team even plays a game.

Oilers need cap space, Habs want assets to take on cap, seems like a natural fit - I’d propose:

To Edmonton: 2025 3rd round pick (lowest of the 3)

To Montreal: Cody Ceci, 2026 1st round pick

Similar to the Monahan deal, Habs simply being opportunistic with their free cap space. Oilers would end up being out a first but would be shedding cap/player they don’t really need/want in order to keep their young guys.
at 3.5M$ it is a lot less money and there is a lot more team able to take that contract, it definately won't get a 1st...

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Mailloux and Reinbacher are already sent down, they are automatic, there is only the window of "phenomenal" for them to make a spot.

And then you don;t have to send Stuble down and you keep him up because we will rotate 5 and 6, play a 7th, every night. Then there's nearly always a small injury that pushes all this bottom 4 (Harris, Struble, Xhekaj and Barron to play 60 games instead of 40. 60 games is enough for all these folks to progress. End of the season, if we trade Savard, that creates a spot for Mailloux to arrive. And maybe even Reinbacher if we a more long term injury in the top 4.

This is a false debate because we'll probably see Engstrom and Trudeau play some games....

Guhle is no ironman at all.
Matheson is often injured.
Fully expecting Hutson to have his rookie season adventures.
Savard is no ironman at his age.

There's 60 games baked in for probably 9 players.

7 * 82 = 574 game spots available.
574/9 = 64 games for 9 players.
Would it not be 6X82 = 492 game spots? 492 /9 = 54 games per player. Still not bad.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He was acquired for Petry and Poehling (a 1st round pick). Petry was NOT a cap dump. He was the best player in the trade (at that time). Just as Poehling does not have 1st round value Matheson is now worth far more as a 60 pt defenseman.
And making only 4.8M..........................Matheson has upped his value big time, as a member of the habs.

Hughes has a good rapport with NJ. I would think a trade makes more sense than a hostile offersheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad