HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So Struble and Harris are sitting until there is an injury?
Struble doesn't have to go thru waiver. He's not a super talented guy one season in the AHL would not hurt. I'm not sure why everyone is like Hutson HAVE to play in the AHL. Mailloux HAVE to play in the AHL. Reinbacher HAVE to play in the AHL. But then Struble in the NHL is fine without a single seaosn in the AHL? Struble is the type of players who benifit from playing in the AHL more than talented guys. I mean if Reinbacher plays like he played last year he wont learn much from the AHL he was a head above everyone in the 8 games he played last year. People forget Reinbacher has more pro exp than Struble.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
No they aren't that's totally false.
They both have NHL roster ready value and we'd grab anything from picks to prospects of a different position and skillset before we ever waive either.
Were you paying attention to our 3 goalie fiasco of last season Hughes will hold until he can make a deal.
Well,

They will certainly have value and we can easily find a trade partner for them for a low pick.

The point stands that we will not send down Hutson or Mailloux (if they are more deserving of a spot than Barron or Harris for example) in the name of having a 3rd insted of a 5th for Harris. I simply short-cutted it with we don't care in the end if they have to go through waivers. We have much more to lose sending Hutson in the AHL then waiving Harris.

The goalie fiasco has nothing to do with it because it did not implied potential superstar going in the AHL in their D+3 after killing NCAA records.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Struble doesn't have to go thru waiver. He's not a super talented guy one season in the AHL would not hurt. I'm not sure why everyone is like Hutson HAVE to play in the AHL. Mailloux HAVE to play in the AHL. Reinbacher HAVE to play in the AHL. But then Struble in the NHL is fine without a single seaosn in the AHL? Struble is the type of players who benifit from playing in the AHL more than talented guys. I mean if Reinbacher plays like he played last year he wont learn much from the AHL he was a head above everyone in the 8 games he played last year. People forget Reinbacher has more pro exp than Struble.

That makes sense.

Maybe they rotate Harris and Barron. Or, Mailloux or Reinbacher grab the 6D spot, and them Harris and Barron are 7th and 8th. I would think Mailloux could benefit from more time innthe A after all the development time he missed. I'm not sure about Reinbacher.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I find it hard to believe that Barron would ever clear waivers. Somebody would claim him for sure. Still really young with lots of potential. It may be a make or break season with us but that’s only because we’ve got such a deep pack of young blueliners.
There's 0 reality where Barron clears waiver.

You have more chances to be hit by thunder at the same time as your house is being crushed by a crashing plane than to see Barron clear waiver.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
So Struble and Harris are sitting until there is an injury?
Maybe, but I suspect one or both will be traded before the start of the season. Camp is long and many teams get into injury trouble early. Both of these guys can be cheap options for some teams....

I would keep Struble though until Xhekaj shows he isn't an injury concern......

Reactions: BLONG7 and 26Mats

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That makes sense.

Maybe they rotate Harris and Barron. Or, Mailloux or Reinbacher grab the 6D spot, and them Harris and Barron are 7th and 8th. I would think Mailloux could benefit from more time innthe A after all the development time he missed. I'm not sure about Reinbacher.
I still believe KH management evaluate that one of Reinbacher or Mailloux will make the lineup or else they would have probably kept the Honda Civic.

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Barron
Harris

or

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Mailloux
Harris

Rotate the kids to give them more than 60 games each. Would not be surprised to see Struble in the AHL to start the year and then Harris being traded during the season if Struble is doing well and Harris is not showing sign of progression.

KH looks like a level headed guy who wont let emotion or beliefs dictate how he will manage the team. Pretty sure if he can avoid having both Reinbacher and Mailloux in the AHL he'll see this as the optimal scenario. Starting both of them in the NHL at the same time during the 2025-26 season would not be ideal. We would have two rookies on the right side of the defense.

Pretty sure KH will see lot of value in having one of Reinbacher or Mailloux leading the charge with Hutson in the AHL and not having to share duties on the right side and the other (the more ready one) in the NHL learning the rope so that they graduate in two different years.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well,

They will certainly have value and we can easily find a trade partner for them for a low pick.

The point stands that we will not send down Hutson or Mailloux (if they are more deserving of a spot than Barron or Harris for example) in the name of having a 3rd insted of a 5th for Harris. I simply short-cutted it with we don't care in the end if they have to go through waivers. We have much more to lose sending Hutson in the AHL then waiving Harris.

The goalie fiasco has nothing to do with it because it did not implied potential superstar going in the AHL in their D+3 after killing NCAA records.
They will if a trade isn't forthcoming and I was only objecting to the W word which isn't happening no way no how.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I still believe KH management evaluate that one of Reinbacher or Mailloux will make the lineup or else they would have probably kept the Honda Civic.

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Barron
Harris

or

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Mailloux
Harris

Rotate the kids to give them more than 60 games each. Would not be surprised to see Struble in the AHL to start the year and then Harris being traded during the season if Struble is doing well and Harris is not showing sign of progression.

KH looks like a level headed guy who wont let emotion or beliefs dictate how he will manage the team. Pretty sure if he can avoid having both Reinbacher and Mailloux in the AHL he'll see this as the optimal scenario. Starting both of them in the NHL at the same time during the 2025-26 season would not be ideal. We would have two rookies on the right side of the defense.

Pretty sure KH will see lot of value in having one of Reinbacher or Mailloux leading the charge with Hutson in the AHL and not having to share duties on the right side and the other (the more ready one) in the NHL learning the rope so that they graduate in two different years.

Hutson looks like a difference maker. It was a small sample. We'll see how camp goes.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

You have more chances to be hit by thunder at the same time as your house is being crushed by a crashing plane than to see Barron clear waiver.
I can’t see Barron clear waivers either. I speculate now, but I suppose a scenario : He gets 4/5 points in 10 games with a positive ratio at the beginning of the next season. teams around the leagues will look at that and will forget his struggling time he had before and think he is on the right path and suddenly, his market value will grow big time.
This would be a mistake to let Barron on the waivers. He could break anytime. Especially at 22 years old

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I don't blame he players.
I'm saying the rule is garbage the way it's set up. There should be a little more leeway to deal with poachers.
Giving more leeway to deal with poachers indirectly gives the players less leverage by putting more barriers on offersheets.

What you're proposing will affect the players getting paid their fair share.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I can’t see Barron clear waivers either. I speculate now, but I suppose a scenario : He gets 4/5 points in 10 games with a positive ratio at the beginning of the next season. teams around the leagues will look at that and will forget his struggling time he had before and think he is on the right path and suddenly, his market value will grow big time.
This would be a mistake to let Barron on the waivers. He could break anytime. Especially at 22 years old
Barron showed progress last season even if it took a while for him to re-focus in Laval.
The hardest thing to do is to project a ceiling on a clearly talented player who is still a work in progress.
We saw how that played out with our Captain who was pegged as a 2C at best despite the argument that he was clearly still progressing and probably still is.

Reactions: BLONG7

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Barron showed progress last season even if it took a while for him to re-focus in Laval.
The hardest thing to do is to project a ceiling on a clearly talented player who is still a work in progress.
We saw how that played out with our Captain who was pegged as a 2C at best despite the argument that he was clearly still progressing and probably still is.
Just look at Danault who was drafted at around the same position as Barron.

Danault

22 years old : 51 GP 10P -5
23 years old : 82 GP 40P +5
24 years old : 52 GP 25P +0
25 years old : 81 GP 53P +17

Reactions: Hins77 and Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Giving more leeway to deal with poachers indirectly gives the players less leverage by putting more barriers on offersheets.

What you're proposing will affect the players getting paid their fair share.
Not at all the offer sheet has already been made so unless you think there would be no offers it won't affect the income.
What it can affect is where the player could potentially end up. I'm not a huge fan of the offer sheet in a capped league truth be told.
Prior to the Cap teams had the option to trade a player's rights before the 7 day deadline.
Curiously enough there were a lot more offer sheets in the 90's prior to the Cap AINEC. :dunno:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The best scenario for Barron or maybe the worst, would be : been claimed by San jose, playing without any pressure from the D corp, and the standings; and play on a second pair. accumulate his part of point on a second pair and PP.
right now Barron isnt dumb, he knows he has pressure coming from Reinbacher, Mailloux, struble, harris etc. And Montreal want to improve this year.. This is not every player that perform well under a kind of pressure.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We might but the reason not too is 5-6 of those 8 are young guys who need ice time so sitting them in the pressbox isn't a great idea.

Sure they will all get plenty of ice time. We tend to play 10 Ds per year.

Xhekaj and Struble can wait their turn a bit, play 50 games. That's perfectly fine. Hutson needs to play 82 games. Barron needs to play as much as possible.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Broberg just received an offersheet for over 4m. He is not better than Barron. No way they let Barron go on waivers.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Losing Barron on the waiver wire would be a huge mistake.

Start the season with....

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris

Struble, Rein, Mailloux in Laval.

If Mailloux or Rein is showing big gains early....trade Savard and call them up to finish the season.

If both Rein and Mailloix make it impossible to keep them down, then Matheson becomes expendable as well.

In a crazy ideal world we finish the season with...

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Rein
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris

Nobody is talking about my boy Adam Engstrom!

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Guys, the real play with Letang is Crosby. How do you lure Crosby out of Pittsburgh? You say to him that Letang is coming also. Obviously 50% retained. Pens are done and can go to rebuild, and those two can finish their careers in Montreal chasing the Cup supporting the young guys.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
They will if a trade isn't forthcoming and I was only objecting to the W word which isn't happening no way no how.

I doubt they send Hutson in the AHL. Hugues has shown to be savvy with how he treat his player and sending Hutson in the AHL would be an even bigger blunder then when we did it with Caufield. Giga turbo Bergevin.

Players with Hutson pedigree are immediate impact player in their D+3, not AHLer.

See what happened with Gauthier and McGroarty. Sending Hutson in the AHL may kill our relationship with our blue chip prospect. The AHL is not as rosy and nice and development doodsy as it is pictured here. Its hard, sad and it sucks.

Harris on waivers has more chance to happen then Hutson in the AHL.

There is no upside in having Hutson in the AHL and the downside can be extreme. (Broken relationship).

There is little upside in holding Harris (improving a late RD pick) and there is not a lot of downside in losing him too. Smallish, unproductive LD bottom pairing LD are dime a dozen.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I doubt they send Hutson in the AHL. Hugues has shown to be savvy with how he treat his player and sending Hutson in the AHL would be an even bigger blunder then when we did it with Caufield. Giga turbo Bergevin.

Players with Hutson pedigree are immediate impact player in their D+3, not AHLer.

See what happened with Gauthier and McGroarty. Sending Hutson in the AHL may kill our relationship with our blue chip prospect. The AHL is not as rosy and nice and development doodsy as it is pictured here. Its hard, sad and it sucks.

Harris on waivers has more chance to happen then Hutson in the AHL.

There is no upside in having Hutson in the AHL and the downside can be extreme. (Broken relationship).

There is little upside in holding Harris (improving a late RD pick) and there is not a lot of downside in losing him too. Smallish, unproductive LD bottom pairing LD are dime a dozen.
If they decide to keep Hutson guess what?
Struble can be sent down end of story.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If they decide to keep Hutson guess what?
Struble can be sent down end of story.

Same problem but to a lesser degree.

Struble > Harris.

Keeping a lesser player in the NHL because waivers/no waivers is extremely bad asset management.

Harris or Barron on waivers or traded for a late RD picks is the end of story we are probably going for.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Same problem but to a lesser degree.

Struble > Harris.

Keeping a lesser player in the NHL because waivers/no waivers is extremely bad asset management.

Harris or Barron on waivers or traded for a late RD picks is the end of story we are probably going for.
What exactly don't you understand about Hughes assets and rebuilding?
I'd like to know because you aren't making any sense at this point.

If we were a playoff team and had a sure fire upgrade maybe you could make this argument.
I like Struble but he is not a huge upgrade on Jordan Harris he just plays a different game.
Unless you don't believe we are still rebuilding?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I think you're underrating Barron and heavily overrating what kinds of players other teams have on their third pairs. Gustav Lindstrom was claimed on waivers last year, no chance Barron clears.

It's really not a big deal. Struble is waiver exempt and they can just send him down to run 7D if we don't end up trading Harris.
Lindstrom wasn't waived before game 1?

In any case it's all hypothetical. If both Hutson with his tree trunk legs and Mailloux with a strong performance push him out, then I'm for waiving early, not later. Add Reinbacher as well, I'm not running some stinking Meritocracy just because someone thinks Barron has untapped potential.

The best dmen get the spots, period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad