Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
My theory:

Headed into last season the Kings had been playing Todd's system for years. I think this gave them an advantage early in the season.

Under the current CBA coaches don't get as much practice time with the team as they used to. So if your team comes out of the gate locked into a system they're familiar with, you might have a leg up.

As the year goes on that advantage starts to fade as other teams get dialed in.

Take last years Oilers for example. They decided to change the system in the offseason. They were a disaster early in the season but figured it out as the year went on.

I wouldn't expect last seasons early success to be replicable. No idea what Hiller is going to do.

I think the Kopitar line falls off a cliff without QB. That's going to be a problem IMO.

Did they not fire the coach over that new system, or was that the year before?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Some highlights:
- expect the groups quickly to be spread out among where they're expected to play (i.e. NHLers with NHLers, AHLers with AHLers, etc). Generally it won't mean a whole lot for most players, but may imply org plans with players like Ziemmer, Clarke, etc where there are multiple options

- no update on Kaliyev. Doesn't see a deal for Robertson on the table

- no indications of PTOs (like Barrie, Pacioretty, etc)

- AHL training camp is Sep 30, so those with zero chance should be sent down by then

There's a bit more, but those are the most notable transactional and roster news bits, at least from what Hoven has gathered.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
It does, but I think the Kings have driven down his value so much by the things they've said and still do, that he has a negative value. Maybe a Kaliyev + Fagemo for Robertson, doubt Fagemo will get legit shot here

Overpay.

Fagemo alone can get something more or at least something more likely be useful for him alone.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
I am against any PTO for veterans that are far beyond their peak years.
Matt Duchene was one of the best reclamation players of the last few years,
but he was still capable of still playing...he was just overpaid the last few yrs,
during his decline....seems like Dallas can get more from players than any other
team. Jealous of that. Pavelski had a resurgence and for several seasons.

Thomas Harley would still be in the AHL, if he was a King. I honestly believe Clarke
is a much better skater and defender NOW, than Harley is....yet the Stars put him with
Heiskanen and he was able to get better and play to his offensive strength.

It's time to give Turcotte, Thomas and Clarke spots and let them play, period.
Also, if Lee, Fagemo, Malott or Studnika can elevate to get games, great.

The only players to get spots the last few years, were Durzi and Laferriere.
And that was only because Drew broke his hand and Arvidsson injured his back.
And Durzi and Laf succeeded - yet had growing pains, Look at Durzi now?
And Laf will get better. So, it's time to give Turc, Thomas and Clarke spots.
The players in Ontario need to know that thy will get their shot.

I liked Emerson's report on Helenius. I hope he gets more icetime and up one line this year and
give him more minutes. This is honestly a big year for him.

As far as Kopi falling off, due to losing QB...it may well happen. I think if Laferriere cannot do an adequate job at LW1, then move Foegele up. He's capable. While losing QB, from LW1, to 3C,
at least line 3 should be better with QB, replacing PLD....so, line one slips some, but should have more balance and 3 better lines, than last year....Laf was a rookie and PLD was a dumpster fire.

Reactions: tbrown33

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Wow. My 30th year of being a Kings fan is 30 days away from a new season. Thanks Rob Blake and Luc for giving me zero expectations for a champion anytime in the for eseeable future. Only thing I have to look forward to is deciding when to pull the plug on paying for the privilege to watch games in market.

1726021211424.gif

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

He also had Hiller, so talking about how McLellan is a "collective tactics" coach is a copout. It sounds like he is pretending to take responsibility while blaming the org for not having clear instructions.

And is he saying he wouldn't get clear instructions from Tortorella while in Columbus? Please.

So so glad to be rid of him. It was going to be the most miserable decade ever waiting for him to fall off the roster. These quotes are wild:

“Take it as you will, but I’ve always needed to have clear instructions to do my job 100%.”

"I get mixed up when there are gray areas. I question myself too much. I've been working on that since I was young. And there, from my first conversations with the team, I didn't really know what was expected of me. I didn't know where I stood. You can't play well when you question yourself too much."

“We didn’t talk often. Todd is more of a team tactics coach. Maybe we didn’t have that relationship. Maybe I was too demanding, wanting to have the path explained to me. It’s obviously my fault that it didn’t work. You’re not supposed to expect your entourage to help you gain confidence, but it can help. I tried to take on the challenge, but I stayed in a gray area all year. I didn’t feel at home. The players helped me, and I wanted it to unblock, but it just wasn’t working.”

So crazy that an $8.5M 3rd overall center is saying they don't know what to do on the ice when not explicitly told and there being "gray areas".

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I am against any PTO for veterans that are far beyond their peak years.
Matt Duchene was one of the best reclamation players of the last few years,
but he was still capable of still playing...he was just overpaid the last few yrs,
during his decline....seems like Dallas can get more from players than any other
team. Jealous of that. Pavelski had a resurgence and for several seasons.

Thomas Harley would still be in the AHL, if he was a King. I honestly believe Clarke
is a much better skater and defender NOW, than Harley is....yet the Stars put him with
Heiskanen and he was able to get better and play to his offensive strength.

It's time to give Turcotte, Thomas and Clarke spots and let them play, period.
Also, if Lee, Fagemo, Malott or Studnika can elevate to get games, great.

The only players to get spots the last few years, were Durzi and Laferriere.
And that was only because Drew broke his hand and Arvidsson injured his back.
And Durzi and Laf succeeded - yet had growing pains, Look at Durzi now?
And Laf will get better. So, it's time to give Turc, Thomas and Clarke spots.
The players in Ontario need to know that thy will get their shot.

I liked Emerson's report on Helenius. I hope he gets more icetime and up one line this year and
give him more minutes. This is honestly a big year for him.

As far as Kopi falling off, due to losing QB...it may well happen. I think if Laferriere cannot do an adequate job at LW1, then move Foegele up. He's capable. While losing QB, from LW1, to 3C,
at least line 3 should be better with QB, replacing PLD....so, line one slips some, but should have more balance and 3 better lines, than last year....Laf was a rookie and PLD was a dumpster fire.

I agree wiith a lot but Kopi and Kempe have defensive chops for the most part .

Same with Dault an Mo.

So Laffy may be the week link and go on one of those pairs

I would like to hope Jeannot gets the other spot but he may be needed on L4.

So Foegle goes with the new pair of QB qnd K Fi.

The puzzle pieces need to be put together to see how they fit.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
So so glad to be rid of him. It was going to be the most miserable decade ever waiting for him to fall off the roster. These quotes are wild:

So crazy that an $8.5M 3rd overall center is saying they don't know what to do on the ice when not explicitly told and there being "gray areas".
I think PLD had a discussion about playing further up the lineup than L#3 with a rookie.

TMAC said not right now and left his options open.

PLD pouted and was lazy at times and the breaks didn't go his way.

There was that underlying tension on the team and he never really drove the kings to win and had defensive lapses.

PLD was bummed but tried to put on a brave face and his teammates tried to be supportive.

They made it to the playoffs with him chipping in a bit at times.

It wasn't anything close enough to impact the playoff series.

This season a lot hangs in the balance for the team and organizational individuals due to significant player turnover forcing some exact lineup unproven

uncertainties.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I've heard that the Kings could be interested in signing Mike Hoffman or JVR to a PTO.
Thoughts?

Mayor thinks Blake won't have any PTO and I like that.

If they made it to the roster it would cause them to probably lose a young player on waivers.

They need to see which of these young guys can carve out roles.

If not ,you do something for a piece to supplement observed deficiencies before the TDL.

You may be able to use a young guy you are not keen on as a trade piece or if you lose him on waivers it was a measured option to improve the team

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

Some highlights:
- expect the groups quickly to be spread out among where they're expected to play (i.e. NHLers with NHLers, AHLers with AHLers, etc). Generally it won't mean a whole lot for most players, but may imply org plans with players like Ziemmer, Clarke, etc where there are multiple options

- no update on Kaliyev. Doesn't see a deal for Robertson on the table

- no indications of PTOs (like Barrie, Pacioretty, etc)

- AHL training camp is Sep 30, so those with zero chance should be sent down by then

There's a bit more, but those are the most notable transactional and roster news bits, at least from what Hoven has gathered.
It would be very on brand of them to bring over Dvorak to alternate 3rd pair-press box in Ontario.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ok, so that sorta blows your theory out of the wtaer, unless you are referencing the new system after that firing......
A system isn't the only thing that's going to help you (or hurt you) early in the year. There's other factors as well.

I'm not sure how it blows the theory up.

If you go back and watch the those early season games, the Kings were playing a tighter cleaner game than their opponents on most nights. They also had a unsustainably high SV% on the PK.

I don't think that early season success is very representative of what this team is.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
A system isn't the only thing that's going to help you (or hurt you) early in the year. There's other factors as well.

If you go back and watch the those early season games, the Kings were playing a tighter cleaner game than their opponents on most nights. They also had a unsustainably high SV% on the PK.

I don't think that early season success is very representative of what this team is.
The ol' "it's a marathon, not a sprint" deal.

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
If it spirals the Kings could be lost in space.

It's almost a forced transition year for Commander Robert Bowlby Blake.

He may be at the agency shrink trying to get over his young player phobias and the paranoia of having his career simultaneously on the line for this mission

I still want to see Jeannot space suited up with Kopi and Kempe.

Calling Kopitar out as downtrodden has been a disrespectrul multiple season and multiple times a season aborted launch.

But a broken countdown timer is eventually correct for a minute.

I don't think he is at his best in the playoff booster drop orbit but he digs in and continues on a reasonable trajectory.

Former KASA Mission Chief TMAC gave him way too big of a payload with way too many minutes and shifts, unwilling to risk falling out of the playoffs as

it's the yearly moon mission.

The Cup is still a planet away and way and we don't have the rockets and defensive shell to get there.

I still don't wanna start gaze a Columbus.

Anything can happen in this Space Shuttle of a season as you so uneloquently launch padded it.

I will tune out a bit if it does, the space cadets here would be moon walking on a happy bender here, talking over ground control.

I would shift my telescope to another galaxy far far away.

Yes as I said repeatedly, the best Kings team would have QB and K Fi click so well they become the number one line cosmonauts.

Maybe even add Kempe up top with them in the cockpit.

Kopitar and whoever L2 and Dault and leftover pieces L3, riding in the aft.

Still need the meteorite deflecting outer shell of a L4 that is good defensively, good defenseman and goaltending.

This likely would take more than a season, Houston we may have a problem.

A lot of predictions have the Kings falling out of playoffs like an earthbound meteorite flaming out in the upper atmosphere.

The cosmos will have to align with some chemistry, young player growth and veteran resurgence, especially in the net!

Ouch my finger is cramping , again, he said looking out at the peanNUT galleria, which I know now like a memorized map of the orbiting plaNUTS featuring

the smoke coming out of their diatribe spitting volcanoes.

:box:

What's your opinion on why 95% of users on here ignore you the majority of the time?

Not asking rhetorically, genuinely curious about your thoughts on this

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

He also had Hiller, so talking about how McLellan is a "collective tactics" coach is a copout. It sounds like he is pretending to take responsibility while blaming the org for not having clear instructions.

And is he saying he wouldn't get clear instructions from Tortorella while in Columbus? Please.

To borrow from Green Mile, how many years did this guy piss on the toilet seat before someone told him to put it up? What was he supposed to do? Score. The #1 job of a top forward. Score.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings win this summer by additions of subtractions.

PLD - no comment. Terrible. Opens up the 3C for Byfield.
Arvidsson - oft injured as a King and salary taking up space.
Lizotte - just too small for the playoffs and was getting stale.
Grundstrom - inconsistent and taking the spot of either a young player or a tough player who can scrap. Also, getting stale.
Talbot - had a come back year but wanted a multi year deal at 37. No thanks. Also, lost the job to Riitch in the playoffs and end of the season.
Roy - great player but not worth 5.75 million - turns 30 shortly.
Englund - loved him last year (sadly the only team toughness) but Edmundson is an upgrade in every way.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Referring to your comment about the Oilers more so than LA, they decided to change the system in the off-season....then canned the coach that changed the system and changed it again....etc.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
It's time for a 'wake me up now that September is here' (or ends) thread.

This 'Fire Blake, Blow it Up Offseason' is one of the longest threads ever and for a good reason.
Maybe as a new 'Hope Springs eternal - not so much - 24-25 Preseason' thread fires up,
this Fire Blake, Blow it up Offseason' can just have a title edit: 'Fire Blake, Blow this Up Now'
by late October.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
It's time for a 'wake me up now that September is here' (or ends) thread.

This 'Fire Blake, Blow it Up Offseason' is one of the longest threads ever and for a good reason.
Maybe as a new 'Hope Springs eternal - not so much - 24-25 Preseason' thread fires up,
this Fire Blake, Blow it up Offseason' can just have a title edit: 'Fire Blake, Blow this Up Now'
by late October.
Yeah, it’s time to lock this beacon of positive energy up, and build one anew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad