HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Couldn't agree more with McCagg here. Everypne wants to makes moves TODAY! or they think he's done and the roster is set to start the year, Meanwhile, the players mentioned in possible deals still haven't moved and then there are the ones no one has heard about.

I'm confident that Hughes ill make a move before the start of the season, and likely before camp starts. Plenty of time so no hurry to rush it. My money is on Zegras coming to Montreal. Just a guess on my part.
KH has nerves of steel

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Every year we see the same hopes.

The fact is that in the entire cap era -- 2005-2024 -- only two high profile UFAs have contributed to a cup winner: Zdeno Chara and Marian Hossa. So UFAing is not a path to build a contending core. Am I forgetting anybody?
I wouldn’t even aim that high, how many high profile top pairing D or PPG F have actually hit UFA in the cap era.

Chara, Hossa, Briere, Panarin, Tavares? Anyone else?

Side note, I believe Tavares & Panarin were the only players under 30

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Every year we see the same hopes.

The fact is that in the entire cap era -- 2005-2024 -- only two high profile UFAs have contributed to a cup winner: Zdeno Chara and Marian Hossa. So UFAing is not a path to build a contending core. Am I forgetting anybody?
Steven Stamkos was UFA when he signed with Tampa in 2016. :D

It's so rare to see a high profile UFA hit the market and there's only one cup winner every year. It makes sense that it's a rare occurrence but it doesn't mean it's a bad strategy.

Last edited:

Heres to 24

Jun 7, 2022
I think Dylan Holloway would fit in perfectly with our young team. Could Habs offer Edmonton a 3rd and maybe a fifth for him and match St. Louis offer.

Reactions: sampollock

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Kent Hughes has even publicly stated that he would like to add a piece to his top six if he can.

Last year, I think they realized they were still a year away from possibly being a playoff contender. But this year, from what we’ve heard from Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes, they wouldn’t be unhappy about finding that missing piece.

Also, the two guys that I think make the most sense for the Montreal Canadiens that have been mentioned in the last couple of months [Rutger McGroarty and Patrik Laine] are still available on the trade market.

I still think they could make a deal. There’s no rush, we’re still two months away from the regular season, so they’ve got 50 to 60 days. I like the way Kent Hughes makes deals, especially when he knows the player is available.” He's always waiting for the price to go down to make a trade." - Grant McCagg
Not sure how the price for Laine could go even more down, if anything Columbus are waiting for the price to go up. Would not be the first time that a player who asked for a trade isn't traded.

With Rutger Mc I guess the problem is he already comitted to another season in college.

Reactions: sampollock

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not sure how the price for Laine could go even more down, if anything Columbus are waiting for the price to go up. Would not be the first time that a player who asked for a trade isn't traded.

With Rutger Mc I guess the problem is he already comitted to another season in college.
If he is traded he probably decommits.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Couldn't agree more with McCagg here. Everypne wants to makes moves TODAY! or they think he's done and the roster is set to start the year, Meanwhile, the players mentioned in possible deals still haven't moved and then there are the ones no one has heard about.

I'm confident that Hughes ill make a move before the start of the season, and likely before camp starts. Plenty of time so no hurry to rush it. My money is on Zegras coming to Montreal. Just a guess on my part.
I wouldn't be confident that Hughes makes a move simply because Hughes isn't desperate to do something. He's likely more then fine going into the season with what we have and seeing if Dach and Newhook can be healthy and productive 2nd liners. Which isn't actually a bad bet to make.

So whether we make a deal is more about whether other teams get desperate to move their guy and drop their price because I doubt what we are offering today is going to change much.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I wouldn't be confident that Hughes makes a move simply because Hughes isn't desperate to do something. He's likely more then fine going into the season with what we have and seeing if Dach and Newhook can be healthy and productive 2nd liners. Which isn't actually a bad bet to make.

So whether we make a deal is more about whether other teams get desperate to move their guy and drop their price because I doubt what we are offering today is going to change much.
There’s no rush for anyone in the middle of August. Come September when rosters need to get finalized going into camp and cap space needs to be addressed by teams in a crunch is when things pick back up. Hughes and Habs management all said they expect to push for a playoff spot and players are becoming complacent. They don’t want to instil a losing atmosphere and will want to be competitive.

So while I don’t think Hughes is desperate to make a deal, we all he wants to make one and has the assets to do so and bring another core piece into the mix. So he may not do it right away but I do expect him to make it before the season starts.

I guess we’ll have to wait a couple of months to find out if the market opens up.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
There’s no rush for anyone in the middle of August. Come September when rosters need to get finalized going into camp and cap space needs to be addressed by teams in a crunch is when things pick back up. Hughes and Habs management all said they expect to push for a playoff spot and players are becoming complacent. They don’t want to instil a losing atmosphere and will want to be competitive.

So while I don’t think Hughes is desperate to make a deal, we all he wants to make one and has the assets to do so and bring another core piece into the mix. So he may not do it right away but I do expect him to make it before the season starts.

I guess we’ll have to wait a couple of months to find out if the market opens up.
They were also not that far from a playoff spot 50 something games into last season when they traded Monahan. So with the growth they saw from Slafkovsky, with Newhook showing signs of producing like a top-6 guy, with Dach coming back there's every reason to think that management can do nothing and still meet it's goals of playing meaningful games down the stretch and not letting a losing atmosphere sink in.

I have little doubt Hughes want to make a deal, but he's also not going to move much from his price point. So it's not really about us but about other teams. Hughes and Gorton made it pretty clear that although yes they were looking for upgrades, that those upgrades had to fit in with the overall plan.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Throughout Hughes' time here, he has shown an incredible amount of patience and won't make deals unless his asking price is met. For example, last year he held onto 3 goalies for like 3/4 of the season until his asking price was met.

Odds are Hughes probably has made some offers and isn't budging on increasing them in hopes another GM will settle. He's got leverage in that it is another transition year and he doesn't NEED to overpay to make a deal, but if he's able to and the price is right he will be on it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They were also not that far from a playoff spot 50 something games into last season when they traded Monahan. So with the growth they saw from Slafkovsky, with Newhook showing signs of producing like a top-6 guy, with Dach coming back there's every reason to think that management can do nothing and still meet it's goals of playing meaningful games down the stretch and not letting a losing atmosphere sink in.

I have little doubt Hughes want to make a deal, but he's also not going to move much from his price point. So it's not really about us but about other teams. Hughes and Gorton made it pretty clear that although yes they were looking for upgrades, that those upgrades had to fit in with the overall plan.
I guess we agree. That’s what I said. Hughes is in a great position of being able to make a deal but not over a barrel to make one. If it’s there, he’ll pull the trigger and he’s already said he wants to and is actively looking. That’s why I’m confident he’ll make a deal to improve the team. I don’t think he’ll make a deal that’s bad for the team.
Throughout Hughes' time here, he has shown an incredible amount of patience and won't make deals unless his asking price is met. For example, last year he held onto 3 goalies for like 3/4 of the season until his asking price was met.

Odds are Hughes probably has made some offers and isn't budging on increasing them in hopes another GM will settle. He's got leverage in that it is another transition year and he doesn't NEED to overpay to make a deal, but if he's able to and the price is right he will be on it.
Agreed. He’s looking but not desperate. If it’s there, he’ll pull the trigger.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Our D is a mess this year

Can't send down Harris or Barron
Struble is better then Harris so why would you put him in Laval ?

Matheson-Guhle (I don't like Guhle there)
Struble-Savard
Wifi-Barron
Harris

So Hutson-Mailloux-Reinbacher have no room at all ... unless someone gets injured.
Even then Harris is there to take over a injure guy.

Logically the D should look like this

Matheson-Mailloux
Hutson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Wifi-Reinbacher
Engstrom

Harris and Struble needs to be traded ASAP
Harris for a early 3rd
Struble for a late 2nd

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Struble-Savard
Wifi-Barron
Harris

So Hutson-Mailloux-Reinbacher have no room at all ... unless someone gets injured.

Matheson-Mailloux
Hutson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Wifi-Reinbacher
Engstrom

Harris for a early 3rd
Struble for a late 2nd
They can send both Harris and Barron down straight from the beginning, and if no injuries is crippling any team, they will pass through. Then they become waiver-exempt for a month.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010

Struble-Savard
Wifi-Barron
Harris

Matheson-Mailloux
Hutson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Wifi-Reinbacher
Engstrom

Harris for a early 3rd
Struble for a late 2nd
Hughes is patient but make no mistake him and Gorton are not happy with the roster as it is going into the season.They want to push this along and they have everything they need to do it..They have way too many talented Def and they will be included in the trade that everyone is waiting for.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
They can send both Harris and Barron down straight from the beginning, and if no injuries is crippling any team, they will pass through. Then they become waiver-exempt for a month.
But they still have to go thru waiver even if it's at the beginning of the season.
Even though team have their whole team ready i am pretty sure they would get picked up, both of them

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Hughes is patient but make no mistake him and Gorton are not happy with the roster as it is going into the season.They want to push this along and they have everything they need to do it..They have way too many talented Def and they will be included in the trade that everyone is waiting for.
yes leaving some ready NHL player in the AHL is not ideal.
Mailloux and Hutson are sure ready to take that step.
Also Reinbacher and Engstrom might be NHL ready as well.
Camp will tell.

But seing this starting the season would suck
Matheson-Guhle
Struble-Savard
Wifi-Barron
Harris

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
But they still have to go thru waiver even if it's at the beginning of the season.
Even though team have their whole team ready i am pretty sure they would get picked up, both of them
Of course, but since all teams have 23 men rosters at the beginning of the season, they can't claim anyone without waiving or returning someone in the AHL themselves.

The risk is minimal, as waiver fodder are never gems enough to clear personnel.

Reactions: Lockin17

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
yes leaving some ready NHL player in the AHL is not ideal.
Mailloux and Hutson are sure ready to take that step.
Also Reinbacher and Engstrom might be as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad