Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nick Robertson (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Good, now prove your worth kid

If you still want to leave afterwards so be it but at least the team won't get screwed that way

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
“As far as Nick is concerned, he is an excellent young player. I am not going to get into play-by-play. I haven’t seen the reports. I have certainly known that there was some frustration with Nick on his behalf, but we look at Nick as an excellent player. There is great opportunity for Nick here. We need him to be a good player for us,” Treliving told the media at the time. “I am not going to get into any speculation or public back-and-forth. We will just leave it at that and continue to move forward.”

If you can read between the lines, Nick Robertson will likely be traded to Anaheim.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
This changes nothing around what happens.

I still think Robertson doesn’t want to be here and his representatives made it clear that as an unsigned RFA he has no trade value.

I think his representatives made it clear that if he signs for the league minimum, it will boost his trade value and expedite getting a deal done.

I still think he’s gone, for the simple reason that he doesn’t want to be here anymore.

At least he’s now given Treliving a bit more of an asset to get something back in value for Toronto.

Still think he’s gone, which is unfortunate. Now the best case scenario is that Treliving can get us something solid in value for him.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

I still think Robertson doesn’t want to be here and his representatives made it clear that as an unsigned RFA he has no trade value.

I think his representatives made it clear that if he signs for the league minimum, it will boost his trade value and expedite getting a deal done.
Great point, the contract does make him more attractive, especially if he gets off to a hot start.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I give this signing two thumbs up!

IMG_7452.jpeg

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I still think he’s gone, for the simple reason that he doesn’t want to be here anymore.

At least he’s now given Treliving a bit more of an asset to get something back in value for Toronto.

Still think he’s gone, which is unfortunate. Now the best case scenario is that Treliving can get us something solid in value for him.

I think him plus Liljegren for someone like Vatrano might happen

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I think him plus Liljegren for someone like Vatrano might happen
Considering what Robertson and Liljegren represent, I hope we are valuing them more highly and bringing back players of similar ages and potential.

RHD have value and aren’t throw ins. Liljegren has more upside than he’s been afforded opportunity to show, and considering how pitifully thin our RHD depth is, we need to be bringing similar talent back.

Vatrano would be an underwhelming return for 2 pieces that have the potential that Liljegren and Robertson have.

Our recent history is littered with young players that we gave away, for nothing returns, only to see our cast offs, when given real opportunities, turn into players we would kill to have back in our lineup.

We can’t allow either Liljegren or Robertson to become those scenarios. We have to get real and tangible value for them in any trade.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not surprised. He used his leverage and it didn't work. No offer sheet and heading to Europe in his context wasn't serious.

I'm skeptical it's a sign and trade though, too many signalling quotes from the Leafs in the media about him having opportunity when he signed. The plan at least is for him to play

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
But do you see this type of hyper inflated salary being speculated on, with imminent offer sheets available for the likes of Swayman and other RFA?
Last week we heard Swayman was asking for $10M, he had comments about the "business side of hockey" and a number of different sources covered that ask. Pretty sure Overdrive, Biz and local Boston radio covered it.

Not sure an offer sheet makes sense for anyone at that dollar mark

Edit - why is this discussion in the Robertson thread?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not surprised. He used his leverage and it didn't work. No offer sheet and heading to Europe in his context wasn't serious.

I'm skeptical it's a sign and trade though, too many signalling quotes from the Leafs in the media about him having opportunity when he signed. The plan at least is for him to play
If he’s traded it would appear it worked like a charm……

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Last week we heard Swayman was asking for $10M, he had comments about the "business side of hockey" and a number of different sources covered that ask. Pretty sure Overdrive, Biz and local Boston radio covered it.

The original chit chat was to say the issue with Dreger isn't that he's connected and has inside information - as he reported the Robertson signing this morning... it's that he's a shill for Marner and has been reporting massive salary asks and phantom threats of offer sheets dating back to 2019.

Don't think Dreger broke the Swayman ask. That came from local Boston and has been circulating for a while now.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Well there has to be a pivot because the dark angel has returned to the leafs lol. People took Robertson not signing way too much to heart

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The original chit chat was to say the issue with Dreger isn't that he's connected and has inside information - as he reported the Robertson signing this morning... it's that he's a shill for Marner and has been reporting massive salary asks and phantom threats of offer sheets dating back to 2019.

Don't think Dreger broke the Swayman ask. That came from local Boston and has been circulating for a while now.
So I gave you the example you were asking about. Generally local media reports on local guys. Bigger markers and bigger names, draw bigger interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It's an opportunity for us to up his value around the league before we do trade him imo

If he does well I could see an in season trade for something were lacking or ammo to aquire something were lacking

I seriously doubt he's here next season no matter what he does this season

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I am happy we got something done with Nick, although something tells me his preferance would be to play elsewhere. I hope he can keep an open mind to Toronto. I still have belief in the player. His release is very rare. Not many people have that ability to score like him. My hope is that he can have a Kadri like resurgence on our team and develop his game into something more consistent and trustworthy.

At the end of the day, Nick has to know that TOR is the best spot for him to showcase his talent. Arguably no team presents a better opportunity for him. Stay healthy, stay consistent and the results that he knows he is capable of getting will come.

He might be the player I am most looking forward to seeing this camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad