HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If he tought Vincent was an ass but was the choice of HuGo, he may be weary about joining the Habs (he’s never gonna go the AHL).
I don't think the minor league coach has any material impact on any NHL players decision.

If any player wants to get that granular, I would never bring them on because you'd forever be walking on eggshells around them. I've never heard of any player basing any decisions based on this type of criteria.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Josh Roy's 24gp doesn't address 'the problem' either, nor Dach's missing of 97% of the season. Hence why it's an attractive bet to bring aboard a highly rated prospect with intangibles and playoff-style qualities if the price is palatable. Not to swap any of them out but to add another challenger to the mix since we know Anderson and Gallagher are for sure not challenging for a top6 role. Now, what's a palatable price? I wish I knew.

Who's complaining? Not me. Commenting that our bad top6 is bad is not a complaint, it's a fact: we have a bad top6 in the present. Insisting that our rebuilding team has a top6 that's too good to disrupt is objectionable. We're in a rebuilding period and a half of our top6 players have never hit even 45pts in a season and the other half of the top6 have never hit 80pts in a season -- it would be irrational to decline adding challengers to our weak top6 just to keep a spot warm for Joshua Roy on the 2nd line.

I never said prospect McGroarty or Laine is the answer to anything -- there are no answers, we're in a transition period and adding potentially useful profiles to the forward corps is perfectly normal.

Well these concerns are why he's 1) available and 2) rumoured to be cheap to acquire in terms of trade assets.
Saying we have a bad top-6 isn't a fact, it's an opinion, and not a very good one. Having a 2nd line where two of the three guys should hit 50 points if healthy and the other is still a rookie isn't a bad top-6.

Here's the number of 50 point forwards from other Eastern bubble teams
Detroit had 3
Buffalo had 3
Washington had 2
Islanders had 4
Pittsburgh had 4
Philly had 3

We are on paper sitting at 5 so overall it's fairly average since some injuries are bound to happen so some might miss (Like in the examples above).

To be a contender we will need to see improvements, some of that will happen naturally given that all 6 of those guys are 25 or under and we have Demidov coming shortly. Which is why McGroarty isn't a great fit, he would need to be the clear best of the bunch and he's simply not that, then you add in the fact that he seems to think he should get a guaranteed top-6 spot which isn't likely to be the case long term for us even if he can beat out Roy and Newhook since we will at some point go out and grab a big name vet. On top of which Winnipeg isn't looking for futures or crappy vets so we aren't even a good trade partner. So sure if we get him at a bargain why not take the chance but it's not particularly realistic option and even if it happens probably doesn't work out well since he'd have to hit his top-line potential to really move the needle when odds are he'll top out as a 2nd liner.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I personally wouldn't trade for him. He needs to go to a club where he won't be asked to be the main goal scorer and that's not the Habs.
Guess that depends on how you see Caufield. Because even with Laine I could see Caufield being the the main goal scorer with Laine being on the 2nd line and probably even 2nd PP unit.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't think the minor league coach has any material impact on any NHL players decision.

If any player wants to get that granular, I would never bring them on because you'd forever be walking on eggshells around them. I've never heard of any player basing any decisions based on this type of criteria.
I think with Vincent, it's not what does Laine think, it's the opposite, they now have some inside info from Vincent, on Laine....................Vincent can tell them about more of what went down the last season Laine spent in Columbus, and inside info on the kid, and his situation.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I can't sift through everything, but if we are indeed in on Laine....I would likely pair him with Dach and Caufield. When Demidov arrives put him with Slaf and Suzuki.

Slaf - Suzuki - Demidov
Laine - Dach - Caufield

That is legit deadly.

If it doesn't work......switch Slaf and Caufield

We would be set no matter what.

• Wow
Reactions: BLONG7

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Demidov-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Caufield-Dach-Newhook
(Roy)

I think we need some grit.

Exactly. We need to break our bank for a young top6 with grit. Stop with the f***ing nonsense of Laine. Jesus you guys never learn. I guess you havent had enough of reclamation project in the last 10 years?

McGroarty.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Why? Because we are interested in a player with no downside at all??

We have the cap space and the roster spots without compromising development of young players.

Literally no downside. None.

I’m pass the reclamation project point.

The guy is a negative valued player now. He got burned out in Winnipeg and CLB. Imagine in MTL when his lazy ass gets exposed. I still remember last season when CLB played in montreal and Laime was so terrible. Floating all around, lazy ass p’ayer. Jesus, i even prefer Armia ffs.

Dont you think we have enough negative valued player in this lineup already?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It’s vast and it’s stupid to bring a player with those issues into the worst market imaginable.

Yeah he can get better. I hope he does. But it just means he’s prone to this stuff in the future. Imagine once he starts getting hurt again or floating like he always does. He’ll get ripped apart.

$9m for a guy who hasn’t played more than 68 games since 2018 and is currently needing help just to play the game he loves. Sounds like really intelligent management.

That literally has nothing to do with the - frankly, offensive - baseless speculating (if not outright lying) that you've done numerous times regarding Laine, strictly because you don't like him as a player.

I'd seriously sit down and reflect a bit about what kind of person you are that you have felt the need to repeatedly call someone a drug addict (among other things) without any evidence because of a hypothetical hockey move.

Pretty embarrassing stuff and lots of maturing to do as a grown man, honestly.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m pass the reclamation project point.

The guy is a negative valued player now. He got burned out in Winnipeg and CLB. Imagine in MTL when his lazy ass gets exposed. I still remember last season when CLB played in montreal and Laime was so terrible. Floating all around, lazy ass p’ayer. Jesus, i even prefer Armia ffs.

Dont you think we have enough negative valued player in this lineup already?
Reclamation projects don't come around with a .91 ppg over the last three years, thats a stupid take.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Reclamation projects don't come around with a .91 ppg over the last three years, thats a stupid take.

All the inside are saying that CLB will have to add something to get rid of Laine. That’s the definition of a negative valued player. Pretty much a reclamation project for dreamers who hopes to see rookie laine again. Laine is a Bergevin type of move.

I dont want another lazy ass player. We have enough of Armia. Laine is even lazier than him. Hard pass. This market and Laine’s game and mental toughness is not a fit.

Let another team take the reclamation project. We’ve had enough of those.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Why? Because we are interested in a player with no downside at all??

We have the cap space and the roster spots without compromising development of young players.

Literally no downside. None.
Could be a cancer in the dressing room. We're building a culture and everyone is buying in and excited to be here. Laine's ego and "mental issues" could be a problem.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I've always liked Laine the player.

His shot is insane, he plays well at center and he has the size to make space for himself in tight games.

My worry is the mental makeup. Even someone like Gomez, who played in high pressure situations was completely wiped by playing here. He can play a passive game as well and they're the types of players who are easy marks in this market.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
What are people's thoughts on Konecny? I'd rather have him than Laine. Of course it'd cost more, but if negotiations go sour maybe he's available.

Reactions: Hannibal

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He literally said it was for his mental health. Sounds like you have just as much inability to accept that as he does inability to handle the pressure market of Columbus, Ohio

The man is depressed in a market that doesn’t even know what time games are on and they need a cannon at 250 decibels to wake people up after a goal and you want him in Montreal where reporters will whine about what clothes he wears :laugh:
Personally I think his mental health issues stem more from his father's passing, then where he was playing hockey.

“He’s been my No. 1 fan and supporter always,” Laine said. “Not that my mom and sister and everyone else hasn’t been, but I think hockey was kind of our thing and our passion. I definitely wouldn’t be here without him. He always watched my games ever since I was a kid. ... so it’s definitely tough. Losing my best friend, it’s tough.” - Patrik Laine

I lost my father a few years ago (Pre-Covid) to a heart attack. I'm twice Laine's age and it still sent me for a loop. I went through a long period of time where I just didn't give a shit about anything. Eventually I snapped out of it, but not without a lot of help from my family and friends. Hopefully the assistance program has provided him all the help and support that he needs.

As for the media in Montreal. Meh, Laine to my knowledge doesn't read or speak French. So it's only the idiots in the English media that he'd have to ignore lol

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've always liked Laine the player.

His shot is insane, he plays well at center and he has the size to make space for himself in tight games.

My worry is the mental makeup. Even someone like Gomez, who played in high pressure situations was completely wiped by playing here. He can play a passive game as well and they're the types of players who are easy marks in this market.
Yeah sure, there's homework to be done. There's no denying he's a hell of a talent and to call him a reclamation project is just plain wrong. I don't even really want him as I think it would be a lot more expensive than people think but yeah, what ever. I'm not sure we have space for Caufield, Demidov and Laine in the line up either.

At some point the Habs are going to become the Leafs if we don't get some kind of skill diversity.
What are people's thoughts on Konecny? I'd rather have him than Laine. Of course it'd cost more, but if negotiations go sour maybe he's available.
He's going to be a hell of a lot more expensive than Laine, he's 5'10 and injured just as often as Laine.

It makes no sense.

All the inside are saying that CLB will have to add something to get rid of Laine. That’s the definition of a negative valued player. Pretty much a reclamation project for dreamers who hopes to see rookie laine again. Laine is a Bergevin type of move.

I dont want another lazy ass player. We have enough of Armia. Laine is even lazier than him. Hard pass. This market and Laine’s game and mental toughness is not a fit.

Let another team take the reclamation project. We’ve had enough of those.
As per usual, your motives are uncomplicated.

Reactions: Andrei79

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't mind Laine since it would be a 2 year thing at worst, but not at that cap hit. They need to retain or take money back. The mental makeup in a hot market is something to consider, but there is zero expectation for the Habs in these 2 years and more importantly, the expectations for Laine are minimal given the price we'd pay.

This isn't the same thing as Drouin where we gave up Sergachev for a very young guy who was great in the playoffs for the Stanley Cup Finalist and expectations were for him to become a PPG player on a competitive team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't mind Laine since it would be a 2 year thing at worst, but not at that cap hit. They need to retain or take money back. The mental makeup in a hot market is something to consider, but there is zero expectation for the Habs in these 2 years and more importantly, the expectations for Laine are minimal given the price we'd pay.

This isn't the same thing as Drouin where we gave up Sergachev for a very young guy who was great in the playoffs for the Stanley Cup Finalist and expectations were for him to become a PPG player on a competitive team.
Don't think there's any problem at that salary, the Habs have 10m in cap space and like 30 next summer.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad