HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Watch Erik Karlsson in his own end.....................now that guy is bad in his own end, and he has played for how many years??? Pure Trainwreck....

Barron will be fine.........the kid is 22.............................career just beginning.
Karlsson was an elite offensive talent & skater (prior to tendon injuries)…. Barron is nowhere near elite.

Karlsson is also not shy to play “dirty” when needed including taunting the opposition…. Barron is scared of his own shadow.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Crosby will be worth a bajillion assets because he's not just a generic pending UFA but a legendary player and legendary winner. Teams will offer a ton for a few months of him.
In addition the last couple of seasons he's been playing some of the best hockey overall that he has played since they last won the cup. Dude has barely slowed down it's the rest of that Penguins team is just much worse

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Crosby will be worth a bajillion assets because he's not just a generic pending UFA but a legendary player and legendary winner. Teams will offer a ton for a few months of him.
Great. Then some other team will get him and he can sign with Montreal as a UFA. If he doesn't then he was never going to anyway and he is of of no use for 1 year.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I predict Crosby won't bring in a bajillion assets, as I do for every big name about to be traded.

For example, he will be worth less than Jack Eichel was when he was traded.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
In addition the last couple of seasons he's been playing some of the best hockey overall that he has played since they last won the cup. Dude has barely slowed down it's the rest of that Penguins team is just much worse
So... are you saying he is a more complete player now? Marty will like that.

Reactions: mbz

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The first year Crosby made the playoffs the Pens had a terrible lineup. 37 years old Recchi was their 3rd best forward and Michel Ouellet was their 4th best forwards. Still made the playoffs. There's no reality where current Crosby/Malkin would lead the 2006-2007 team to a playoffs position. He's still very good but a team should not expect a guy who can carry Pascal Dupuis on a 1st line to a cup.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It depends Ray Bouque did not return much. Neither did Bure.
When final destination is limited to a couple of teams, as Crosby would be dictating where he wants to go, the return will inevitably be muted as well

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
When final destination is limited to a couple of teams, as Crosby would be dictating where he wants to go, the return will inevitably be muted as well
Speaking of Bure i was looking at the Panthers lineup two years before Bure was traded at the TDL and man that team sucked hard and Bure was able to lead it to a playoffs spot. Leading a team like that to a playoffs spot is simply crazy. Their 2000-2001 lineup was even worse. That lineup was comical. First scorer was bure with 59 G and 92 Pts and the 2nd scorer had 37 points.

1724955124998.png

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Montreal Canadiens likes Logan Stankoven. The Dallas Stars forward. They're liking how he wins 50% of his battles in the corners.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Speaking of Bure i was looking at the Panthers lineup two years before Bure was traded at the TDL and man that team sucked hard and Bure was able to lead it to a playoffs spot. Leading a team like that to a playoffs spot is simply crazy. Their 2000-2001 lineup was even worse. That lineup was comical. First scorer was bure with 59 G and 92 Pts and the 2nd scorer had 37 points.

View attachment 903860
Equally impressive is the fact Bure played all 82 games. Lol

• Haha

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
[
Pending UFA that is a top 5 center in the NHL does worth a lot though
His value will still be decided by where he wants to be traded, how many teams will be on his list and if he is willing to extend to an amount that those teams can afford. I assume IF he is traded Pens will ask him where he wants to go (maybe 2-3 teams) and will get what they can which will be less than his real value. If Pens gives him the possiblity to choose i expect the return will be a 1st round pick and a good (but not Demidov quality) prospect. Something like Calgary 1st + Hage or Calgary 1st + Mailloux along with lesser value parts like later picks and b prospects. I doubt he wants to come here though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
His value will still be decided by where he wants to be traded, how many teams will be on his list and if he is willing to extend to an amount that those teams can afford. I assume IF he is traded Pens will ask him where he wants to go (maybe 2-3 teams) and will get what they can which will be less than his real value. If Pens gives him the possiblity to choose i expect the return will be a 1st round pick and a good (but not Demidov quality) prospect. Something like Calgary 1st + Hage or Calgary 1st + Mailloux along with lesser value parts like later picks and b prospects. I doubt he wants to come here.
Personally, I wouldn’t trade for him at the TDL. Where not a playoff team yet, it’s not time to pay massive assets for him.

If he becomes UFA tough, I would overpay next summer to bring him here

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
The first year Crosby made the playoffs the Pens had a terrible lineup. 37 years old Recchi was their 3rd best forward and Michel Ouellet was their 4th best forwards. Still made the playoffs. There's no reality where current Crosby/Malkin would lead the 2006-2007 team to a playoffs position. He's still very good but a team should not expect a guy who can carry Pascal Dupuis on a 1st line to a cup.
I was more referring to 2017 to now. He's been amazingly consistent in his 30s but obviously a very different player than when he was first making his mark on the league

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Personally, I wouldn’t trade for him at the TDL. Where not a playoff team yet, it’s not time to pay massive assets for him.

If he becomes UFA tough, I would overpay next summer to bring him here
It depends on the asking price and if he is willing to extend for 2-3 years to a contract we can afford and if the Pens are willing to accept a cap dump. I mean let's just say they accept Josh Anderson as part of the return it's already in itself worth a 1st round pick and all my gratitude.

It's all speculation and obviously i highly doubt he wants to be traded here but would not be totally surprised he wants out. It's summer we are all bored ;)

Reactions: Vachon23

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I’d pay a fair amount of picks/prospects for Crosby if he wants to come here and sign a 3-4 years extension. Pittsburgh would be stupid to let this pass. They need to sell and go for McKenna in two years.
The optics for pens are really bad if they trade Crosby. They need bums in seats. I think no chance he is traded.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Truth is in the middle. Some are going to low and some are going way to high.

The optics for pens are really bad if they trade Crosby. They need bums in seats. I think no chance he is traded.

This is deeper than that. Crosby won't play forever and Pens will have to do a rebuild. Delaying the rebuild by being in the middle of the pack is a wasted opportunity. You should know this from our time with Bergevin.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Truth is in the middle. Some are going to low and some are going way to high.

This is deeper than that. Crosby won't play forever and Pens will have to do a rebuild. Delaying the rebuild by being in the middle of the pack is a wasted opportunity. You should know this from our time with Bergevin.
Of course they should move Crosby but the owner probably won't allow it. If he is moved they won't draw flies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hard to find a comparable to Crosby, so no...I can't find a past trade that would compare.

I would never trade that much for Crosby. But, I suspect it would cost that. If I am Pittsburgh, I am negotiating that package as if it is the lower end of each pieces projection. What I mean, is there is risk in each of those pieces.

Habs 1st at worst for Pittsburgh could 14-20. Flames pick at worst could be same.

Mailloux may end up a 3rd pair d man.

Hage may never make the NHL.

Obviously, I project our players higher....but those are some ceilings here. If I am Pittsburgh, would I trade Sidney Crosby for 14th and 15th overall + third pair RD + AHLer? Nope.

Whatever....in the end it doesn't matter. I would never trade that package for him.....but I do think something like that would be required.

Two 1st (14-20), Mailloux and Hage is too much. We are talking about Crosby yes but he doesn't come in his prime and he is a pending UFA.

What the player could end up doesn't measure up to what rating they have today as a prosect. Those are 4 1st round quality pieces. It's too much bud.

Of course they should move Crosby but the owner probably won't allow it. If he is moved they won't draw flies.

I bet you Dubas is going to explain the opportunity of a accelerated rebuild. The worse thing you can do is delay it when you know it's coming. You can get assets now vs less assets later. Look at how the Habs accelerated rebuild is going. It's not just pieces coming from our own picks.

If you delay the rebuild or miss the opportunity, you might have 5-10 years of rebuild and putting fans in the seats is a bigger problem vs a potential 1-5 year rebuild. As an owner and GM/President, you have to separate from the emotional attachment to Crosby and what he has done or still can do. At this stage, that core is probably not making the playoffs.

Crosby is extremely competitive. One of the most competitive you will find. He's probably open to playing this season and seeing if they can get some momentum and there is a handshake agreement that if it doesn't work, there is going to be a trade. That's my perception on it but he's probably going to the Avs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad