HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Wideman did not play a single game last season. Was he even around the team, as he was placed on the injured list right at the start of the season?

Monahan will be missed, but I doubt either Pearson or Kovacevic will. In Monahan's case, it leaves the center position a little thin. That's why I don't agree with all the calls in this thread to trade Dvorak. He won't return much, only has one year left on his contract, and without him the Habs only have four NHL centers -- including Newhook, who should be playing the wing. Neither Beck nor Kapanen will likely be ready this season.
Our record before the deadline with Monahan 24-29-10
Our record after the deadline without Monahan 6-7-6

The whole we need 10 trilions vets is probably the product of 30 years of mismanagement. Too much vets in the lineup is the last thing we want.

We have two vets in defense and it's more than enough. We have 4 vets in the forward group and it's more than enough. I like Monahan but the whole Moneyhand thing has gone out of control like the Tatah thing.

WE DO NOT NEED MOAR VETS.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Our record before the deadline with Monahan 24-29-10
Our record after the deadline without Monahan 6-7-6

The whole we need 10 trilions vets is probably the product of 30 years of mismanagement. Too much vets in the lineup is the last thing we want.

We have two vets in defense and it's more than enough. We have 4 vets in the forward group and it's more than enough. I like Monahan but the whole Moneyhand thing has gone out of control like the Tatah thing.

WE DO NOT NEED MOAR VETS.
I wouldn’t mind more BETTER vets. Vets who are still productive and good professionals to instil good practices in younger players and set a bar or excellence. Bringing in Crosby for example would be a huge add for the Habs and help show younger players his dedication and they’d listen to anything he had to say.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
We lost Monahan, Wideman, Pearson --> three very experienced players who were all 'good for the room'. Also lost Kovacevic, another 'good in the room' guy according to reports from the year.

Simply put they've not been replaced by similarly experienced NHLers or more talented players overall -- they've just not been replaced by outside talent at all. It's not the end of the world but I have a hard time thinking this roster that struggled with injuries, consistency, and playing defence, is ready to hit the ice in October and do notably better than it did last year.

I don't really think it's a disaster if they miss the playoffs but we should expect to see progress, competitiveness, and yknow higher-stakes later on into the season. The dead rubber games from January on are likely not very good for players' professionalism and growth either.
I’m pretty sure our record was similar with or without Monahan and Dach likely plays more than 2 games to replace him. Wideman and Pearson aren’t NHLers, experience doesn’t mean anything here when they hurt the team by playing. We already had a very crowded defense so losing a #7 dman doesn’t mean anything either.

We absolutely have more talented players replacing the Wideman (who didn’t even play last year), Pearson and Kovacevic. This is a very strange argument. If he had lost the likes of Toffoli, Chiarot and Lehkonen you’d have a point but come on, this team is worse because we lost Wideman who didn’t even play last year? Again, our team is very young and odds are some of them improve too which means more than Kovacevic cracking jokes as a healthy scratch.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I wouldn’t mind more BETTER vets. Vets who are still productive and good professionals to instil good practices in younger players and set a bar or excellence. Bringing in Crosby for example would be a huge add for the Habs and help show younger players his dedication and they’d listen to anything he had to say.

It needs to be on a 1 year contract though. Suzuki will be 25 this season the last thing we want is to be stuck with a declining 32-33 years old guy having 3 years left to his contract. Even 2 years imo is too much. We must think about competing in the summer of 2025 and we need to avoid any contract to vets who are not part of the solution to give us flexibility.

If we can improve on Dvorak for this season i'b be down for it but people must realize that lot of kids will have 1+ year of AHL experience after this season (Beck, Mesar, Xhekaj, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Tuch, maybe Kapanen not sure his status) and burying kids in the AHL for 3+ years is not a good idea. Most of those guys will fail but we must keep some room for those who will have what it takes.

Anderson, Gallagher, Dvorak, Armia, Matheson and Savard is enough vet precense for this year. Like i said if you can Swap Dvorak for a better less often injured vet center with 1 year remaining do it but outside of that we have enough vets.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Just because Laine asked for a trade last season doesn’t mean he won’t back off that demand.

I expect Monahan’s signing + Waddell coming in, to have a significant positive change in mindset for the orgs players & staff.

I could easily see Waddell hold onto Laine, and try to turn things around w shift in positive culture

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Just because Laine asked for a trade last season doesn’t mean he won’t back off that demand.

I expect Monahan’s signing + Waddell coming in, to have a significant positive change in mindset for the orgs players & staff.

I could easily see Waddell hold onto Laine, and try to turn things around w shift in positive culture
Waddell was still talking like the demands were still in place. From this article.

"Right now, we’re all playing nice in the sandbox, until we get to the point where a decision has to be made. You know, maybe there’s not something out there that makes sense for us. Then we have to cross that bridge. Right now, they’ve expressed their view, and we’ve said that we will certainly look at all our options. But if the options are limited, or there are no options that make any sense, then we’ll have to deal with that.”

So yeah, the demands were made under previous management but it sounds like they haven't changed or will change. To your point, Waddell has indicated they'd keep him but I think it'd be better for both sides if he moved.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
If STL "wants bodies" and to replace Krug Id think the only name theyd be interested in would be Matheson no? Can't see him getting us Snuggerud back right!?!

Reactions: sampollock

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Matheson could be added for Stenberg, Dean, Dvorsky, Lindtsein or Bolduc. Kessel or guys like Toropchenko/Sundqvis could be decent bottom 6 additions.

Guhle-Reinbacher
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble-Kessel

If DR isn't ready maybe Mailloux is, that's where moving Kovacevic hurts IMO.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Mr Peanut still talks hockey? Why bother Pee-Air.
Zero credibility folks...........zero
Just want to rip into him without even hearing what he says….

McGuire said “I’d ask for Snuggerrud”, just like “Habs don’t need a G”…

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Could the Canadiens be tempted to intervene in this matter to promote Demidov's learning and progression during his final year of contract in Russia? Negotiating so that his pact in Russia is broken is one of the possibilities open to general manager Kent Hughes." - TVA Sports

would this not be like a big trade for the habs

Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad