HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I mean.. this also happened:

There's no doubt Laine has issues.. where is he right now? He has some stuff to work through. We all hope he comes out the other side with a clearer mind.

But I wouldn't absolve Wheeler OR Columbus, the guys who tried to hire Babcock and had Vincent benching and pissing off all of the young guys.
so true

let's hope he is way better and joins the habs

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I was referring to his personal issues. No one knows what they are, because they're personal. It's just a lot of hearsay and speculation

That's his perspective, there's been some talk about how Scheifle and Wheeler "led" in the Jets dressing room as well.
I don't know anything about the issues which led him into the PAP and I wasn't speaking about it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

“It was a hard conversation, but nobody is bigger than the Blue Jackets.”

Yet Wheeler says this:

"Never once was I hard on Patty — far from it. If anything, I was very respectful and coddled a young teenager and 20-year-old."

But what does all this encapsulate - drama and issues.

Laine whining because things aren't the way he wants them to be. Ego and selfishness.
Considering he was stripper of the "C" and moved out, I don't think he was an ideal captain to begin with. Also, being hard on someone is subjective and maybe it was the shit talking behind his back or "jokingly" taking shots at him. In any case, I don't believe him. Laine is not going to make up these things about two specific players for no reason. He hated being there for a reason and his production fell off a cliff around that time as well.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Considering he was stripper of the "C" and moved out, I don't think he was an ideal captain to begin with. Also, being hard on someone is subjective and maybe it was the shit talking behind his back or "jokingly" taking shots at him. In any case, I don't believe him. Laine is not going to make up these things about two specific players for no reason. He hated being there for a reason and his production fell off a cliff around that time as well.

Yet, just imagine being a professional athlete, being paid millions, and you complain that 2 players are being mean to you, and making it public.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
It's hard to imagine KH is done setting up his roster... this roster is *weaker* than last year's team and has less depth and less grit and less experience. From the Ylonen, Norlinder, and Heineman experience we know you can't just pencil in unproven players in NHL spots because they'll more likely than not fall flat on their face.

We need NHL depth (and another top6 player tbh).
Only if you aren't tanking.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
"I'll tell you what I would do if I was GM in Montreal, I would trade one of my defensemen and I wouldn't want five assets in return, I only want one player: Jimmy Snuggerud. If they want to trade [for a defenseman], that's the guy I want. I don't want anybody else, I only want one thing and that's him." - Pierre McGuire
Assuming this is related to Krug likely out next season?

Reactions: jrom

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
"I'll tell you what I would do if I was GM in Montreal, I would trade one of my defensemen and I wouldn't want five assets in return, I only want one player: Jimmy Snuggerud. If they want to trade [for a defenseman], that's the guy I want. I don't want anybody else, I only want one thing and that's him." - Pierre McGuire

I can't see Blues trading Snuggerud. Blues aren't short of D, although Suter sucks & isn't a replacement for Krug.

Blues still have Parayko, Faulk, Perunovich, Joseph, Tucker & Leddy. It's probably passable.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Pierre acting like he's the only one who knows Snuggerud is their number 1 prospect.
Problem is, the Blues know it too and will want to keep him.

I can see them being interested in a Mike Matheson type D if Krug is out for the year.
Maybe targetting someone like Dvorsky would be more realistic.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I brought up Laine as a target last year so I'm in, Mental health is the big concern/deal breaker (but I don't have the info to make that determination) what I can see is that he is the one that requested a trade (CBJ is struggling franchise lot of unhappy players) he has been productive, 117pts in is last 129games which were injury riddle on a below avg team. He will never win the Selke, but even looking at is +\- he compare pretty well to the rest of the team. He is 26yo basically entering is prime, 6'5" and 2nd OV pick with elite shooting skills, unlike when Drouin came to Mtl Laine isn't french + will be behind Suzuki, CC, Slaf there will be less presure.
He had 3 "bad" season where he is still .5 ppg or over, he is signed for two years to a big cap hit which will make is value significantly lower, we have plenty of guy coming on ELC we have cap space the cap hit the only concern is the cost to acquire him. if the cost to acquire him is 2x2nd or less and there isn't any major concern about is health I would not hesitate.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
There was never a world where we wind up with both Demidov and Michkov. No way, no how. It was either Michkov last year + defenseman this year or Demidov this year + defenseman last year. If they wanted Michkov they would have taken him last year.

We scored an absolute home run with Demidov at #5. I wouldn't change a thing. f*** Michkov.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Who are these experienced players that we lost? Pearson was not an NHLer and Ylonen was a tweener at best. I’d actually say it’s more likely that Anderson bounces back because his performance wasn’t due to a decline in skating/strength. He still sucks but I don’t see where he’s declining exactly, he’s just a flawed player with great athleticism. Gallagher on the other hand I understand.

Why mention Dvorak and Anderson declining while ignoring that the growth of the young guys would outweigh this decline? We have one of the youngest teams in the league.

I’m confident that next offseason will be when we make meaningful moves to improve the team, Hughes is pretty handcuffed for this year.

This.

And one would have to be either massively pessimistic, jaded or flat out blind to not see that everyone of
Suzuki
Guhle
Newhook
Caufield
Slaf
Harris
Xhekaj
Roy

were better hockey players in April 2024 than they were in September 2023.

Our roster is heavy in U25 players, and not depending as of today on any rookies (except perhaps Roy) as firm opening day roster players... One of the dmen may force their way in, but none are defacto pencilled in.

Regressions are always possible, but to argue that this roster, today, is weaker than it was in September 2023 is flat out silly.

And to point to Monahan is silly since he was as big, if not a bigger question mark last fall than Dach is today.

The continuity that this roster has is another underappreciated aspect in our favor heading into this season.

I suspect KH will add a player or two before opening day, if the right deal is there... But I also think that he's understandably confident that the roster as is will be improved despite the short sightedness of media pundits & impatient fans too easily swayed by flashy & splashy moves.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Who are these experienced players that we lost? Pearson was not an NHLer and Ylonen was a tweener at best. I’d actually say it’s more likely that Anderson bounces back because his performance wasn’t due to a decline in skating/strength. He still sucks but I don’t see where he’s declining exactly, he’s just a flawed player with great athleticism. Gallagher on the other hand I understand.

Why mention Dvorak and Anderson declining while ignoring that the growth of the young guys would outweigh this decline? We have one of the youngest teams in the league.

I’m confident that next offseason will be when we make meaningful moves to improve the team, Hughes is pretty handcuffed for this year.
We lost Monahan, Wideman, Pearson --> three very experienced players who were all 'good for the room'. Also lost Kovacevic, another 'good in the room' guy according to reports from the year.

Simply put they've not been replaced by similarly experienced NHLers or more talented players overall -- they've just not been replaced by outside talent at all. It's not the end of the world but I have a hard time thinking this roster that struggled with injuries, consistency, and playing defence, is ready to hit the ice in October and do notably better than it did last year.

I don't really think it's a disaster if they miss the playoffs but we should expect to see progress, competitiveness, and yknow higher-stakes later on into the season. The dead rubber games from January on are likely not very good for players' professionalism and growth either.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The fly in the ointment is the mental health and MTL spotlight aspect.

Not saying that ruins the fit, because we don't know what Laine thinks of it. My read on Hughes and Gorton is that based on the value they placed on confidence and mental resiliency with their draft picks, they would want to ensure that the spotlight would bring out the best in Laine before bringing him on.

At that point it goes beyond hockey fit and you wouldn't want to put someone in a bad situation and potentially have another Drouin type situation.

If Montreal don't get you motivated to play hockey, no city will. I understand how some see the risks but I see it as a great recovery story. I have a lot of faith in MSL and Suzuki and Laine slides into this roster knowing he can't be a distraction. He's not a drama queen, he's been distracted by things away from hockey. I think a change and coming to Montreal brings him lots of motivation.

This is a different situation than Drouin. Drouin came expected to be our best player with all the pressure. If Laine comes, he doesn't have to be our best player.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We lost Monahan, Wideman, Pearson --> three very experienced players who were all 'good for the room'. Also lost Kovacevic, another 'good in the room' guy according to reports from the year.

Simply put they've not been replaced by similarly experienced NHLers or more talented players overall -- they've just not been replaced by outside talent at all. It's not the end of the world but I have a hard time thinking this roster that struggled with injuries, consistency, and playing defence, is ready to hit the ice in October and do notably better than it did last year.

I don't really think it's a disaster if they miss the playoffs but we should expect to see progress, competitiveness, and yknow higher-stakes later on into the season. The dead rubber games from January on are likely not very good for players' professionalism and growth either.
I agree with you...........to a point.
I also think the current core, of Suzy, CC, Slaf, Guhlie and Monty etc will all also grow as a group, not to mention this is mid July, and the season doesn't start for almost 3 months.

I do not think the current lineup is the lineup that starts in Montreal in October.
Take in the massive one goal games, where if they win a few more, the addition of Dach and we all know the PP gets better............the subtraction of Burrows.....................

There are some things that tell me we move up the standings and play better and meaningful games in Jan/Feb/Mar

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Wideman did not play a single game last season. Was he even around the team, as he was placed on the injured list right at the start of the season?

Monahan will be missed, but I doubt either Pearson or Kovacevic will. In Monahan's case, it leaves the center position a little thin. That's why I don't agree with all the calls in this thread to trade Dvorak. He won't return much, only has one year left on his contract, and without him the Habs only have four NHL centers -- including Newhook, who should be playing the wing. Neither Beck nor Kapanen will likely be ready this season.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Wideman did not play a single game last season. Was he even around the team, as he was placed on the injured list right at the start of the season?

Monahan will be missed, but I doubt either Pearson or Kovacevic will. In Monahan's case, it leaves the center position a little thin. That's why I don't agree with all the calls in this thread to trade Dvorak. He won't return much, only has one year left on his contract, and without him the Habs only have four NHL centers -- including Newhook, who should be playing the wing. Neither Beck nor Kapanen will likely be ready this season.
Agreed.
Unless they can get an upgrade by trade, it doesn't make sense to trade Dvorak at this point. They don't need the cap space.
He's a boring hockey player but he's still NHL caliber and can be somewhat useful.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
There was never a world where we wind up with both Demidov and Michkov. No way, no how. It was either Michkov last year + defenseman this year or Demidov this year + defenseman last year. If they wanted Michkov they would have taken him last year.

We scored an absolute home run with Demidov at #5. I wouldn't change a thing. f*** Michkov.
this

if we picked Michkov last year then we're looking at a RD this year and i think Reinbacher will be better then the ones that were left even maybe Levshunov will see and from what ive seen ( limited views ) i like Demidovs attitude more seems like a good kid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad