HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Contracts aren't bad if they don't have any impact on your near-term or long-term spending. The Habs have a stupid amount of cap space this year and next. Laine's contract is precisely the kind that works because of its low-cost and low-risk basis. No one would want Laine if he cost too much to acquire or impacted our cap situation... he's too high-risk for a lot of teams but not us. Market Dynamics!

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Contracts aren't bad if they don't have any impact on your near-term or long-term spending. The Habs have a stupid amount of cap space this year and next. Laine's contract is precisely the kind that works because of its low-cost and low-risk basis. No one would want Laine if he cost too much to acquire or impacted our cap situation... he's too high-risk for a lot of teams but not us. Market Dynamics!
The Habs need to be pulling Monahan type deals. Again, not many teams are willing to give up firsts or seconds, so the Habs can offer cap relief for several teams.

Reactions: ReHabs

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
The Habs need to be pulling Monahan type deals. Again, not many teams are willing to give up firsts or seconds, so the Habs can offer cap relief for several teams.
I think the team will have a better shot at that at the TDL when the teams close to the cap look for upgrades and need to move salary. Right now teams aren't feeling the pressure like previous years. As well with only one retention spot left, to maximize the return on the expiring contract guys like Dvorak, Armia, they may need to take back higher expiring contracts than those for draft picks to let those teams keep shopping.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal

Monahan type of deal are extremely rare. We need to find a really dumb GM (like the former Calgary GM). I still don't understand how we got a first round pick for Monahan. Pretty sure Kent would have agreed to a second or third round pick from Calgary.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Your friendly new cap app will tell you there are teams that have lots of cap.
Can't remember Waddel saying he wouldn't take anything back though.
And lots of those teams don’t want to spend an extra 16 million in salary either. Again not saying there won’t be competition but kh want him , I see little opposition able to compete with the habs can offer wether it is assets or flexibility or a combo of both

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
If you're going after Andersson, you cannot go after Laine. Andersson head-hunting because his feelings were hurt was the catalyst for destroying Laine's season last year.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
People need to stop saying this would be risk-free. Whenever a team adds a big-ego, selfish attitude, bad work ethic and divisive personality there is always risk. Not saying Laine is all of these, but there's been public instances of a few, and we're not seeing what's happening behind closed doors.

Reactions: Rapala

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I tell you my dream last night, MTL have traded Caufield and another pieces for Matvei Michkov !!

Let's gooooo!!

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
People need to stop saying this would be risk-free. Whenever a team adds a big-ego, selfish attitude, bad work ethic and divisive personality there is always risk. Not saying Laine is all of these, but there's been public instances of a few, and we're not seeing what's happening behind closed doors.
Why are you smearing?

Cite your sources or stop character assassinating. If you haven't seen what's behind closed doors then you should sure as hell cite someone who has and can vouch for what he's seen. Otherwise it's bottom-of-the-barrel speculation and smears and baseless insinuations... and you don't even stand by it, you hedge yourself with "not saying Laine is all of these, but"... gimme a break. This is not how adults should develop arguments.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
On the Puckpedia website, they give a value to the number and quality of each teams draft picks in the upcoming 3 years.

For the 2025 draft, Montreal is at a ridiculous value of 119.81 so far.

Here is the Top 5 in order

Montreal- 119.81 (2 1sts, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, 2 4ths)
Chicago- 96.33
San Jose- 89.35
Philadelphia- 81.94
Anaheim- 75.58
Columbus- 73.14

The rest of the teams are not even close.

This will be the 4th draft of the "rebuild" and we should be able to concentrate on winning after. With the number of picks we have, we should be able to trade some for higher picks and concentrate on quality rather than quantity.
Man, Imagine we could pull off something like 2nd +3rd+4th for a late 1st

Then......do it again....2nd +3rd+4th for another late 1st.

4 times 1st round picks would be something else!

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Why are you smearing?

Cite your sources or stop character assassinating. If you haven't seen what's behind closed doors then you should sure as hell cite someone who has and can vouch for what he's seen. Otherwise it's bottom-of-the-barrel speculation and smears and baseless insinuations... and you don't even stand by it, you hedge yourself with "not saying Laine is all of these, but"... gimme a break. This is not how adults should develop arguments.
There are many many reports he hasn't gotten along with teammates (on 2 different teams), you can hear the ego in his public comments, and you can clearly see his poor work ethic and selfish play on the ice. How is none of that evidence for you?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
There are many many reports he hasn't gotten along with teammates (on 2 different teams), you can hear the ego in his public comments, and you can clearly see his poor work ethic and selfish play on the ice. How is none of that evidence for you?
Cite the reports.

I sincerely do not think his public comments reflect negatively against him, and I do not think his play on the ice (as far as I know it) reflects any character flaw that would imperil any professional team's morale. Snipers are selfish as a necessity -- they have to single-mindedly optimise their position to take a shot on goal. He's a flawed player but you're saying he's a flawed person, so flawed that his acquisition with risk negatively impacting the team. That's far too far.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hate to break it to you, but short of a miracle, you are stuck with those players whether you bring in someone else or not
We had the clear ability to bury one at 13th forward and the other on the 4th line but instead we decided to have one in the top 6 and the other on the third line.

I tell you my dream last night, MTL have traded Caufield and another pieces for Matvei Michkov !!

Let's gooooo!!

Imagine the turn around of opinions on michkov. It would be comedy gold.

Reactions: ReHabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad