HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
"I'll tell you what I would do if I was GM in Montreal, I would trade one of my defensemen and I wouldn't want five assets in return, I only want one player: Jimmy Snuggerud. If they want to trade [for a defenseman], that's the guy I want. I don't want anybody else, I only want one thing and that's him." - Pierre McGuire

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Imagine the turn around of opinions on michkov. It would be comedy gold.
Though, I am curious what the general NHL fan would think is the value between the two and which player is preferred.

Caufield isn't so old that he's considered to be even in his prime but nonetheless I think if you posted a poll TODAY, you'd get maybe at most 60:40 in favour of Caufield, by the end of next season I'm not so sure Michkov wouldn't win in a landslide. Michkov's weaknesses are Caufield's weaknesses, that leaves two factors: their strengths and Caufield's proven production (vs. Michkov's complete blank slate). Some people value evidence of success in a smaller player much much more than their potential so they'd go with Caufield without any doubt... but if Michkov makes the team and survives and produces...

And if you had them both as prospects and had to pick between them, you'd take Michkov I think.

Caufield is definitely closer to scoring 50 by virtue of his experience and growth as a player. I think he's electric. The only jersey I currently have is his #22. I'm a big fan and I hope last year is an aberration and I hope I never have to hear about his shoulder again -- if it takes two seasons to recover from what is considered a minor injury, that's a broken player.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
No way he is done............no way.
It's hard to imagine KH is done setting up his roster... this roster is *weaker* than last year's team and has less depth and less grit and less experience. From the Ylonen, Norlinder, and Heineman experience we know you can't just pencil in unproven players in NHL spots because they'll more likely than not fall flat on their face.

We need NHL depth (and another top6 player tbh).

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's hard to imagine KH is done setting up his roster... this roster is *weaker* than last year's team and has less depth and less grit and less experience. From the Ylonen, Norlinder, and Heineman experience we know you can't just pencil in unproven players in NHL spots because they'll more likely than not fall flat on their face.

Why is the roster weaker than last year?

Reactions: Miller Time

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
"I'll tell you what I would do if I was GM in Montreal, I would trade one of my defensemen and I wouldn't want five assets in return, I only want one player: Jimmy Snuggerud. If they want to trade [for a defenseman], that's the guy I want. I don't want anybody else, I only want one thing and that's him." - Pierre McGuire
who is "him?"

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023

Nah. We need another top 5 pick more. This is the last year. If you get Martone, then youve got a shitload of studs coming in the lineup next year (Martone, Demidov, Reinbacher, Kapanen, Beck, Engstrom + Hutson and Mailloux who both spend this year in mtl)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hate to break it to you, but short of a miracle, you are stuck with those players whether you bring in someone else or not
If I determined Dvo was actually preventing a kid from making our starting squad I would waiver wire his ass so fast he wouldn't know what hit him.
The sooner we rid ourselves of the remnants and or after affects Bergevin's Aho Offer Sheet fiasco the better.
The other two are definitely here for the duration (this season at the very least) short of that miracle.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Contracts aren't bad if they don't have any impact on your near-term or long-term spending. The Habs have a stupid amount of cap space this year and next. Laine's contract is precisely the kind that works because of its low-cost and low-risk basis. No one would want Laine if he cost too much to acquire or impacted our cap situation... he's too high-risk for a lot of teams but not us. Market Dynamics!
The contract will work but I'm no where near convinced the player is in that same boat.
People keep saying it's risk free which is not a given at all.
Sure we can get him and it won't kill us if he flops except we could have gotten a different asset on better footing.
The impression I was left with after the post season debrief was HuGo wants to do something for our core guys and not something that could potentially backfire.

Reactions: BLONG7

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The contract will work but I'm no where near convinced the player is in that same boat.
People keep saying it's risk free which is not a given at all.
Sure we can get him and it won't kill us if he flops except we could have gotten a different asset on better footing.
The impression I was left with after the post season debrief was HuGo wants to do something for our core guys and not something that could potentially backfire.
Everything could potentially backfire. Hedging against all downside risk is how Bergevin drove this team into the ground imo.

I'm totally open to picking up a different asset -- can you name one? I'd want Necas or Zegras, each or both, but they'd cost more than Laine. Who else is available that we know?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Why is the roster weaker than last year?
Aside from the Monahan and Dach swap we have less experienced NHLers and significantly less depth. I feel like Anderson's permanent decline means he's for sure not a top6 player now (we had some hope last year) and Dvorak is more frail than ever... we just don't have the dogs to ice a team that's meant to fight for a playoff spot.

I know some people are thrilled at the notion of another hopeless and losing season but I feel like it's not good for the core to not even taste the playoffs or the intensity of fighting for a playoff spot at least. I want to see them play tighter and higher quality, with more focus... can't do that when you're out of the playoffs with half a season left to play.

Nah. We need another top 5 pick more. This is the last year. If you get Martone, then youve got a shitload of studs coming in the lineup next year (Martone, Demidov, Reinbacher, Kapanen, Beck, Engstrom + Hutson and Mailloux who both spend this year in mtl)
Too many rookies with too little playoff experience = higher risk of falling flat on your face AND never getting back up. Ottawa and Buffalo and Edmonton come to mind.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Everything could potentially backfire. Hedging against all downside risk is how Bergevin drove this team into the ground imo.

I'm totally open to picking up a different asset -- can you name one? I'd want Necas or Zegras, each or both, but they'd cost more than Laine. Who else is available that we know?
I'm not even on the we absolutely need a top six player this season boat.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread I'd prefer to ensure we have spots to evaluate and play our potential in.
I've always wanted bigger stronger support on our bottom if the right player isn't falling into our hands.
People just don't seem to put much emphasis on zone and board control of which we have none on our bottom six.
It's hugely important for the skilled players and it should be obvious to everyone the fewer Dzone starts our top 6 have the better.
I've watched far too many shifts of no attack because we are gassed to last me a lifetime.

FIX IT

Last edited:
Reactions: HabzSauce

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I'm not even on the we absolutely need a top six player this season boat.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread I'd prefer to ensure we have spots to evaluate and play our potential in.
I've always wanted bigger stronger support on our bottom if the right player isn't falling into our hands.
People just don't seem to put much emphasis on zone and board control of which we have none on our bottom six.
It's hugely important for the skilled players and it should be obvious to everyone the fewer Dzone starts out top 6 have the better.
I've watched far too many shifts of no attack because we are gassed to last me a lifetime.

FIX IT
I agree with this, I think there is something to be done in the bottom six through.. slowly but surely. I putting lots of hope in the development of guys like Floran Xhakaj and Luke Tuch, they could really change the look of our 4rth line in MTL. We will see how Beck will fare in the AHL this year as well. I like the direction the team is taking in general and I prefer slow solid constant progression then to inflate a balloon too quickly just to it it blow up in the middle of the air.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Cite the reports.

I sincerely do not think his public comments reflect negatively against him, and I do not think his play on the ice (as far as I know it) reflects any character flaw that would imperil any professional team's morale. Snipers are selfish as a necessity -- they have to single-mindedly optimise their position to take a shot on goal. He's a flawed player but you're saying he's a flawed person, so flawed that his acquisition with risk negatively impacting the team. That's far too far.

Why are you acting like this is new info to you? His issues both in Winnipeg and Columbus are common knowledge. You're just trying to roadblock it because it counters your opinion.

Laine was sour because he felt he deserved to play on the top line with Scheifele, demanded a trade from the team.

Then had issues with teammates and coaches in Columbus, followed by benching and healthy scratch. He thought he was bigger than the team.

Look it up.

Reactions: Rapala

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why are you acting like this is new info to you? His issues both in Winnipeg and Columbus are common knowledge. You're just trying to roadblock it because it counters your opinion.

Laine was sour because he felt he deserved to play on the top line with Scheifele, demanded a trade from the team.

Then had issues with teammates and coaches in Columbus, followed by benching and healthy scratch. He thought he was bigger than the team.

Look it up.
Actually, Scheifele and Wheeler bullied Laine and made his life hell.
Report: Patrik Laine Revealed Reason for Leaving Winnipeg – Rude Treatment in Locker Room.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Look it up.
Common knowledge of hearsay.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Aside from the Monahan and Dach swap we have less experienced NHLers and significantly less depth. I feel like Anderson's permanent decline means he's for sure not a top6 player now (we had some hope last year) and Dvorak is more frail than ever... we just don't have the dogs to ice a team that's meant to fight for a playoff spot.

I know some people are thrilled at the notion of another hopeless and losing season but I feel like it's not good for the core to not even taste the playoffs or the intensity of fighting for a playoff spot at least. I want to see them play tighter and higher quality, with more focus... can't do that when you're out of the playoffs with half a season left to play.
Who are these experienced players that we lost? Pearson was not an NHLer and Ylonen was a tweener at best. I’d actually say it’s more likely that Anderson bounces back because his performance wasn’t due to a decline in skating/strength. He still sucks but I don’t see where he’s declining exactly, he’s just a flawed player with great athleticism. Gallagher on the other hand I understand.

Why mention Dvorak and Anderson declining while ignoring that the growth of the young guys would outweigh this decline? We have one of the youngest teams in the league.

I’m confident that next offseason will be when we make meaningful moves to improve the team, Hughes is pretty handcuffed for this year.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
BS reddit link is sus

Imagine being 6'5 Slavic god and be bullied by Mark ShitFilet, literally impossible.

1000006291.jpg

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Common knowledge of hearsay.

“It was a hard conversation, but nobody is bigger than the Blue Jackets.”

Actually, Scheifele and Wheeler bullied Laine and made his life hell.
Report: Patrik Laine Revealed Reason for Leaving Winnipeg – Rude Treatment in Locker Room.

Yet Wheeler says this:

"Never once was I hard on Patty — far from it. If anything, I was very respectful and coddled a young teenager and 20-year-old."

But what does all this encapsulate - drama and issues.

Laine whining because things aren't the way he wants them to be. Ego and selfishness.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Yet Wheeler says this:

"Never once was I hard on Patty — far from it. If anything, I was very respectful and coddled a young teenager and 20-year-old."

Laine whining because things aren't the way he wants them to be. Ego and selfishness.
I mean.. this also happened:

There's no doubt Laine has issues.. where is he right now? He has some stuff to work through. We all hope he comes out the other side with a clearer mind.

But I wouldn't absolve Wheeler OR Columbus, the guys who tried to hire Babcock and had Vincent benching and pissing off all of the young guys.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I was referring to his personal issues. No one knows what they are, because they're personal. It's just a lot of hearsay and speculation
Yet Wheeler says this:

That's his perspective, there's been some talk about how Scheifle and Wheeler "led" in the Jets dressing room as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad