HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Nothing, he's a flat line in the playoffs. You don't win it with low compete like that.
Player A: 23pts in 32gp
Player B: 50pts in 57gp

Which one is Mitch Marner (ā€œflat line; low competeā€) and which one is Habs captain Nick Suzuki? Think carefully, you only get one guess!

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Ghule, 2025 1st pick and Anderson/Gallagher for salaries.

We really don't have anybody with Marner's set of skills(except maybe Demidov).
We donā€™t have the assets to acquire him and make it work/fit. What TML wants is hard to understand because, on paper, they canā€™t possibly improve on their forward coreā€¦ and what TML needs is an exorcism.

Marner is a good player, very highly skilled, he shouldnā€™t be expected to carry the expectations of the entire GTA region. He has buckled under it. If he was in FLA or DAL or another team he could be cooking under the radar a bit ā€” thatā€™s the sort of personality he is.

Purely hypothetically we would have to send to Toronto players who they figure can help them in the playoffs: 1) a valuable defensive asset (Guhle OR Reinbacher), 2) not-useless cap dump (Armia or Dvorak or Savard), 3) skilled forward prospect (one of Roy, MeŔar, etc), 4) Futures (two first round picks, maybe a conditional third first round pick).

Or if they want a quality NHL forward back, a package around Caufield+ for Marner.

But the more I think of it, the more it seems not worthwhile to risk acquiring a player like Marner ā€” who is in need of a contract extension ā€” when the Huberdeau situation is right there, acting like a scarecrow. If we didnā€™t have Demidov I would be a lot more interested because Marner has skill and ability the Habs have had in probably 3 decades.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

Which one is Mitch Marner (ā€œflat line; low competeā€) and which one is Habs captain Nick Suzuki? Think carefully, you only get one guess!

If you think either team is better off with Marner over Suzuki, I don't know what to tell you.

Marner is a major logistical problem for the leafs.

Suzuki is eveything you'd want in a captain, and only getting better. Which is crazy when considering how good he already is. I'd take his class, leadership, IQ, skill-intangibles and drive over Marner any day.

You can keep Marner's useless empty calorie extra points if you like. He may be more offensively skilled than Nick but he isn't more valuable to his team.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Ghule, 2025 1st pick and Anderson/Gallagher for salaries.

We really don't have anybody with Marner's set of skills(except maybe Demidov).
Don't think that gets him, and right now for me Guhle is the only young guy that I think can be a no.2 for us. I agree , Demidov is our lone hope to have that kind of skill, but hopefully he will be of higher character and maturity than Marner.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
If you think either team is better off with Marner over Suzuki, I don't know what to tell you.

Marner is a major logistical problem for the leafs.

Suzuki is eveything you'd want in a captain, and only getting better. Which is crazy when considering how good he already is. I'd take his class, leadership, IQ, skill-intangibles and drive over Marner any day.

You can keep Marner's useless empty calorie extra points if you like. He may be more offensively skilled than Nick but he isn't more valuable to his team.
Yeah the point was not to say Marner is better than Suzuki but to bring some counterbalance to the ridiculous arguments against Marner.

Claiming Suzuki is the ultimate captain is a bunch of hokey hometown homerism itself. Weā€™ve gone nowhere with Suzuki as captain ā€” let him lead us in the playoffs with the C in his chest before you suggest heā€™s better than Messier!

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
We donā€™t have the assets to acquire him and make it work/fit. What TML wants is hard to understand because, on paper, they canā€™t possibly improve on their forward coreā€¦ and what TML needs is an exorcism.

Marner is a good player, very highly skilled, he shouldnā€™t be expected to carry the expectations of the entire GTA region. He has buckled under it. If he was in FLA or DAL or another team he could be cooking under the radar a bit ā€” thatā€™s the sort of personality he is.

Purely hypothetically we would have to send to Toronto players who they figure can help them in the playoffs: 1) a valuable defensive asset (Guhle OR Reinbacher), 2) not-useless cap dump (Armia or Dvorak or Savard), 3) skilled forward prospect (one of Roy, MeŔar, etc), 4) Futures (two first round picks, maybe a conditional third first round pick).

Or if they want a quality NHL forward back, a package around Caufield+ for Marner.

But the more I think of it, the more it seems not worthwhile to risk acquiring a player like Marner ā€” who is in need of a contract extension ā€” when the Huberdeau situation is right there, acting like a scarecrow. If we didnā€™t have Demidov I would be a lot more interested because Marner has skill and ability the Habs have had in probably 3 decades.
Un chausson avec Ƨa?

They're not gonna get nowhere near that return for a guy they want to get rid of.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Yeah the point was not to say Marner is better than Suzuki but to bring some counterbalance to the ridiculous arguments against Marner.

Claiming Suzuki is the ultimate captain is a bunch of hokey hometown homerism itself. Weā€™ve gone nowhere with Suzuki as captain ā€” let him lead us in the playoffs with the C in his chest before you suggest heā€™s better than Messier!

Where did I compare him to Messier? I said he's everything you'd want in a captain. He's even keeled, serious, dependable, intelligent and all class as an individual. He does all the heavy lifting on and off the ice for this team. He's highly respected in our dressing room and represents our habs very well.

Also, suggesting the fact that Suzuki as captain hasn't lead this team to the playoffs yet, is completely disingenuos.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'll take Suzuki at 7.825 over Marner at 11+ all day, every day and three times come playoff time.

Zero interest in Marner. Vegas is the place for him to go and realize his full potential and avoid the limelight and pressure.

If we were ever to trade for Marner....I would want it to be under the following conditions.

Sign and trade under 10 mil per year.

Has to be a package of futures and prefer it not to include any of what I perceive to be our core and/or young guns. Suzuki, Slaf, Cole, Dach, Demidov, Hutson, Rein, Guhle, Mailloux, Xhekaj are all off limits for me.

And yes, I know....if we are going to trade for Marner one or more of the above pieces are going the other way. Which means.....for me.....I'm ultimately not interested.

My take on Marner.

Soft
Entitled
Egotistical
Overpaid
Skilled
Creative

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Where did I compare him to Messier? I said he's everything you'd want in a captain. He's even keeled, serious, dependable, intelligent and all class as an individual. He does all the heavy lifting on and off the ice for this team. He's highly respected in our dressing room and represents our habs very well.
Okay, the point was to show even Dependable, Intelligent, Serious, Even Keeled players can underproduce in the playoffs. Or in this case produce less than Marner.
Also, suggesting the fact that Suzuki as captain hasn't lead this team to the playoffs yet, is completely disingenuos.
If Suzuki was a 100pt player the Habs would likely be a playoff team. But heā€™s not soā€¦ if Suzuki canā€™t be held responsible for his teamā€™s results then what do you say for Marner?

Un chausson avec Ƨa?

They're not gonna get nowhere near that return for a guy they want to get rid of.
Huberdeau got a huge return, why would Marner get any less?

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Okay, the point was to show even Dependable, Intelligent, Serious, Even Keeled players can underproduce in the playoffs. Or in this case produce less than Marner.

I tell you what, lets wait until Suzuki has 25 more games in the playoffs like Marner does and we'll compare the numbers then. How old was Suzuki anyway when he played in the post season compared to all of Marner's post season experience.? I'm sure the numbers will be extremely close at that juncture, and than throw in all the other intangibles that Suzuki does for his team and it not even close. Suzuki is the far better competitor.

If Suzuki was a 100pt player the Habs would likely be a playoff team. But heā€™s not soā€¦ if Suzuki canā€™t be held responsible for his teamā€™s results then what do you say for Marner?

Tell me, do think Marner is a 100 point player on the same teams Nick has captained sans Suzuki I don't think so. I wonder what Nicks numbers would be in Toronto compared to our roster.

As we get better so well Nick's numbers, he's already heading towards a PPG player as it stands, wait until all the reinforcements arrive. We don't even know what his peak is yet.

Slafkovsky Suzuki Demidov
Caufield Dach Hage
Newhook Beck Roy

Throw in Hutson on the PP and talk to me then.

Last edited:
Reactions: waitin425

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
If Marner is dealt after the season starts, I would use the Price LTIR money to retain 50% on him in exchange for a 1st round pick in '26 from the acquiring team and a 2nd in '26 from Toronto. That is a better return than what we will get using the last spot on one of our own expiring UFA''s

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I tell you what, lets wait until Suzuki has 25 more games in the playoffs like Marner does and we'll compare the numbers then. How old was Suzuki anyway when he played in the post season compared to all of Marner's post season experience.? I'm sure the numbers will be extremely close at that juncture, and than throw in all the other intangibles that Suzuki does for his team and it not even close. Suzuki is the far better competitor.

Tell me, do think Marner is a 100 point player on the same teams Nick has captained? Minus Suzuki I don't think so. I wonder what Nicks numbers would be in Toronto compared to our roster.

As we get better so well Nick's numbers, he's already heading towards a PPG player as it stands, wait until all the reinforcements arrive. We don't even know what his peak is yet.

Slafkovsky Suzuki Demidov
Caufield Dach Hage
Newhook Beck Roy

Throw in Hutson on the PP and talk to me then.
You understand my point has little to do with Suzuki, right?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Then why do you keep bringing him up? You can't use Suzuki as context to make a point about Marner.

They're not and never have been in the same situation.
I brought Suzuki up once to show the criticism of Marner is over the top and out of bounds.

Marner is a great player ā€” he would be our BEST skater in three decades ā€” and he is in difficult and high-pressure position in Toronto. Marnerā€™s playoff stats arenā€™t necessarily even bad ā€” our fanbase is the same that has a notable contingent still pining over the loss of Philip Danault. Itā€™s important to try to keep a perspective.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I brought Suzuki up once to show the criticism of Marner is over the top and out of bounds.

Marner is a great player ā€” he would be our BEST skater in three decades ā€” and he is in difficult and high-pressure position in Toronto. Marnerā€™s playoff stats arenā€™t necessarily even bad ā€” our fanbase is the same that has a notable contingent still pining over the loss of Philip Danault. Itā€™s important to try to keep a perspective.

OK you feel Marner is being judged too harshly, you like his talent, that's fair, and fine with me. (even if I personally don't like the guy) I just didn't think using Suzuki to make your point was.

Good talk. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Huberdeau got a huge return, why would Marner get any less?
Huberdeau had no trade protection, Marner has a NMC and wants to stay in toronto.

They will sign him and he will get paid.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Guhle
Matheson
Savard
Xhekaj
Barron
Harris
Struble
-------
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Hutson
Engstrom
Bogdan

The period between the 2025 trade deadline and the 2025 draft is hopefully when HuGo cab make bank by trading some of the defensemen for either futures or in packages for a better forward.

That's going to take some creative thinking, but Hughes is good at that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Give Suzuki Marners winger's FFS. Then we won't have to guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad