Proposal: Trade: Leafs, Senators blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Tkachuk has never paced for more than 52 points in his career. Now you're just making yourself look foolish. People can take Tkachuk if they want, but it better not be because he's "close" offensively LMAO.
15 points playing with 3rd line players is close. Especially when you add in age.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Damn so sens fans want matty the other way and they say chuky is better than william and morgan suck. I look forward to their first place finish.
I didn’t know “Rielly’s a 27 year old UFA offensive defenseman that absolutely makes no sense for Ottawa” means “he sucks”. And that’s obvious to non-Senator fans too.

Nylander is signed for 3 years/6.962m and then he’s a UFA. How does that help Ottawa longterm? This doesn’t fit their window.

If they sign Brady for 8 years it’s ok to overpay him some because the cap is going to jump up after the escrow debt is taken care off.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
i understand the question mark since he has NOT, but, what world are you living in??
i like Tkachuk, but, his career best is still his rookie season, and has shown zero growth offensively.
I expect him t become a 30 goal guy eventually, but, he hasnt taken that step forward in offense yet, and is expecting a more expensive contract than Nylander.
Nylander save for a puke worthy post contract signing season has improved in every aspect of his game.
Value wise, the better player is always worth more, and that is Nylander, sorry.
Tkachuk would fill a huge need on the Leafs, but that doesnt lower Nylander's worth

I mean, Tkachuk has scored 60 in 3 years, Nylander has scored 55 goals in the last 3 years.. thats more for Tkachuk, what i said was pretty blank and white. Tkachuk has scored more goals.

You're comparing two players as if they play on similar teams and have similar support. Nylander should be the far superior producer because he plays on a far superior team with elite level talent around him. Nylander gets 20 secondary assists a year to pas his stats and his line isn't even the best on Toronto so he gets better matchups.

If Nylander played on Ottawa he would be 20-20 player and provide none of the other traits that Tkachuk brings, and I don't think that's a 7m player. In a bubble, Nylander for Tkachuk is horrible value for Ottawa. Everyone (except Toronto fans) agree. The fact that the OP added Rielly as a rental for Bernard Docker does nothing because Ottawa won't be able to retain him and aren't competing.

Bad deal all around.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
You're talking about a 90 point player vs. a guy with two seasons just over 20 and one where he paced for like 50 points the cap hits do not matter. Jesus this is insane. There's no other 90 point player people would proposed to be traded for a player with middle 6 production.

Yes I am. I suggested this trade in 2019. So what could Toronto have done with 9,5 million in cap space during the last 2 years? How would BT have done against Montreal in the playoffs last spring?

If there was one issue that Toronto has it is net presence. MM is a great player, but his talents are already found in Toronto. BT is EXACTLY the player that Toronto needs, and at 9ook?

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Trade

TO OTTAWA: William Nylander, Morgan Riley

TO TORONTO: Brady Tkachuk, Jacob Bernard-Docker

What do you say?
:thumbd: or :thumbu:

lol no

I'd take Nylander over Tkachuk and JBD combined (basically because I have no clue nor do I care who he is).

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I mean, Tkachuk has scored 60 in 3 years, Nylander has scored 55 goals in the last 3 years.. thats more for Tkachuk, what i said was pretty blank and white. Tkachuk has scored more goals.

You're comparing two players as if they play on similar teams and have similar support. Nylander should be the far superior producer because he plays on a far superior team with elite level talent around him. Nylander gets 20 secondary assists a year to pas his stats and his line isn't even the best on Toronto so he gets better matchups.

If Nylander played on Ottawa he would be 20-20 player and provide none of the other traits that Tkachuk brings, and I don't think that's a 7m player. In a bubble, Nylander for Tkachuk is horrible value for Ottawa. Everyone (except Toronto fans) agree. The fact that the OP added Rielly as a rental for Bernard Docker does nothing because Ottawa won't be able to retain him and aren't competing.

Bad deal all around.

Nylander has played 25 less games than Brady over the past 3 years, which kinda matters; as does the circumstances around his holdout/return. Nylander is the better offensive player, no question. However Tkachuk would fit like a glove in Torontos top 6 so I would definitely consider this exchange strongly. He would bring a snarl they lack, but I consider Nylander a 75 pt guy moving forwards. He took a step forward after the disaster holdout season, and hasn't looked back. With massive usage on a team like Ottawa w Norris /Stutzle/Batherson in tow, I would expect William to have extremely strong production. But involving Rielly doesn't make much sense unless Ottawa surprises with their young talent and makes a run at the playoffs ( which is possible. I absolutely love their future).

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Nylander has played 25 less games than Brady over the past 3 years, which kinda matters; as does the circumstances around his holdout/return. Nylander is the better offensive player, no question. However Tkachuk would fit like a glove in Torontos top 6 so I would definitely consider this exchange strongly. He would bring a snarl they lack, but I consider Nylander a 75 pt guy moving forwards. He took a step forward after the disaster holdout season, and hasn't looked back. With massive usage on a team like Ottawa w Norris /Stutzle/Batherson in tow, I would expect William to have extremely strong production. But involving Rielly doesn't make much sense unless Ottawa surprises with their young talent and makes a run at the playoffs ( which is possible. I absolutely love their future).

How Do you consider Nylander a 75 point player when he's never been one in his career ?

I agree, Nylander is the better offensive producer, but like I said, he plays on a team/line that makes offensive production a lot easier.

Age, contact, years of team control, playing style, etc. Make me not even consider this if I was any team other than Toronto.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
First line winger and #1 D for a prospect and a 2nd liner? Why would Toronto do that? And reading the comments is a headscratcher. Tkatchuk doesn't have high end offensive upside. He's never shown it at any level ever. Lookup his junior stats. He's a big body that hurts, has leadership values but a first line winger that will score 70+ points is not what he'll ever be. Matthew is the brother with the superstar upside not Brady. Not sure what the hype is about with him.

I've always said Brady is a winger version of Jordan Staal. He's NHL ready and what you see is what you get. He got his 50 points pace right away but you'll be disappointed if you expect more from him and whoever gives him that big contract will regret it.

As a Habs fan, please Toronto do that. You'll be even less relevant now.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I didn’t know “Rielly’s a 27 year old UFA offensive defenseman that absolutely makes no sense for Ottawa” means “he sucks”. And that’s obvious to non-Senator fans too.

Nylander is signed for 3 years/6.962m and then he’s a UFA. How does that help Ottawa longterm? This doesn’t fit their window.

If they sign Brady for 8 years it’s ok to overpay him some because the cap is going to jump up after the escrow debt is taken care off.
Rielly doesn't suck. Is he a 20 goal 70 point guy, but rather a 10 goal 50+ point guy, yes.

Nylander is signed for 3 more years, at a reasonable cap hit. Every player contract expires.

B. Tkachuk is not signing for 8 years, otherwise he would have signed that $8x8 year deal already. He is getting 5 years max, and then is gone in FA.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't even dislike him. I would love to have him on the Leafs, just not at the cost of Nylander AND Rielly lol. I mean it's not like Jacob Bernard Docker has done much of note.
Ya, you’ll have to draft your own version of Brady.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Rielly doesn't suck. Is he a 20 goal 70 point guy, but rather a 10 goal 50+ point guy, yes.

Nylander is signed for 3 more years, at a reasonable cap hit. Every player contract expires.

B. Tkachuk is not signing for 8 years, otherwise he would have signed that $8x8 year deal already. He is getting 5 years max, and then is gone in FA.
Either you’re being disingenuous or you can’t read, I’m saying that GENERALLY NO ONE IS SAYING HE SUCKS. That’s not what people are saying. A reasonable Sens fan could think he’s a good player but not want him in the slightest because they don’t need to rent Rielly for year. Rielly to Sens make zero sense. I’m not Ottawa fan and I can assure as neutral party it makes zero sense. I sincerely doubt you’re going to any find any non-Leafs fan think it makes sense. I can’t express it more plainly than that.

You keep going back to the imaginary “Rielly sucks/ Rielly doesn’t suck” argument because that’s only one you can win.

B. 5 years is more than 3 years, though isn’t it? And you don’t know how many years Ottawa can sign him for, so that’s not much of an argument either. Nylander held out until December 1st so I don’t see why the Sens are in a bigger jam now on September 21st then Leafs were in 2018.

I get it, you want Brady Tkachuk on Leafs. This misbegotten trade won’t do it, but I get it.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Either you’re being disingenuous or you can’t read, I’m saying that GENERALLY NO ONE IS SAYING HE SUCKS. That’s not what people are saying. A reasonable Sens fan could think he’s a good player but not want him in the slightest because they don’t need to rent Rielly for year. Rielly to Sens make zero sense. I’m not Ottawa fan and I can assure as neutral party it makes zero sense. I sincerely doubt you’re going to any find any non-Leafs fan think it makes sense. I can’t express it more plainly than that.

You keep going back to the imaginary “Rielly sucks/ Rielly doesn’t suck” argument because that’s only one you can win.

B. 5 years is more than 3 years, though isn’t it? And you don’t know how many years Ottawa can sign him for, so that’s not much of an argument either. Nylander held out until December 1st so I don’t see why the Sens are in a bigger jam now on September 21st then Leafs were in 2018.

I get it, you want Brady Tkachuk on Leafs. This misbegotten trade won’t do it, but I get it.
I was just responding to your 3 points that seems to devalue the Leafs players because you clearly don't like the fan base. I don't think OTT should trade Brady, I think a better/fit trade for the Leafs would involve Matthew Tkachuk. If the Leafs trade Rielly a team obviously would need to know they can extend him, much like CHI did with Seth Jones. I would think the Leafs seek a similar return in a trade.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Matthew Tkachuk is more valuable than Nylander IMO.
Clearly.

lol no

I'd take Nylander over Tkachuk and JBD combined (basically because I have no clue nor do I care who he is).
So you know nothing about hockey outside of the leafs. Par for the course in the GTA.

I don't even dislike him. I would love to have him on the Leafs, just not at the cost of Nylander AND Rielly lol. I mean it's not like Jacob Bernard Docker has done much of note.
Leafs would take that deal and run. Theyll never have the opportunity to aquire a player like this especially from a divisional rival.

Reactions: SensFactor

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So Nylander is offensively close to 90 point first liners that are a couple years older than him then right?
Not with the line mates he already has. Also not surprising you can’t see the difference in potential from a 22 year old and 25 year old.

Reactions: bert

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
How Do you consider Nylander a 75 point player when he's never been one in his career ?

I agree, Nylander is the better offensive producer, but like I said, he plays on a team/line that makes offensive production a lot easier.

Age, contact, years of team control, playing style, etc. Make me not even consider this if I was any team other than Toronto.

Hes looked like a different player last 2 seasons ( neither of which was a complete but combined 101 pts over 119 games equates to 70 pt pace ). I mean moving forwards 75 ish pts is what my expectation is given the improvements I've seen on the ice that have not fully caught up statistically. I think he has an outside shot at leading the Leafs in Pts this year. His shot on the pp is barely being utilized at all , which I expect/hope changes . I also think he is a better fit w Matthews than Marner is which is part of my thought process in the bump. Hes an absolute play driver additionally and contrary to popular belief is very capable defensively.

Last edited:

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I wouldn't take Marner for Tkachuk, so why would I take Nylander? Marner and Nylander are awesome but Tkachuk has intangibles that the Sens need more than scoring.

Reactions: bert

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I was just responding to your 3 points that seems to devalue the Leafs players because you clearly don't like the fan base. I don't think OTT should trade Brady, I think a better/fit trade for the Leafs would involve Matthew Tkachuk. If the Leafs trade Rielly a team obviously would need to know they can extend him, much like CHI did with Seth Jones. I would think the Leafs seek a similar return in a trade.
I’m never devalued anything though, I only responded specifically to idea of Ottawa trading Brady Tkachuk for those two players, because that’s what the trade proposal is. Player value is only part of it, if a trade doesn’t make sense for one of the teams, then it’s a bad trade proposal.

Hypothetically, if Brady Tkachuk, Toronto could trade Reilly & Nylander for futures to give Ottawa, in a three-way trade, the same way Ottawa sent Turris to Nashville for a 2018 2nd, Samuel Girard & Vladislav Kamenev to trade to Colorado for Duchene.

And by “hypothetically” I mean, not going happen in a million years, but at least it more sense for rebuilding team then those two players.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I’m never devalued anything though, I only responded specifically to idea of Ottawa trading Brady Tkachuk for those two players, because that’s what the trade proposal is. Player value is only part of it, if a trade doesn’t make sense for one of the teams, then it’s a bad trade proposal.

Hypothetically, if Brady Tkachuk, Toronto could trade Reilly & Nylander for futures to give Ottawa, in a three-way trade, the same way Ottawa sent Turris to Nashville for a 2018 2nd, Samuel Girard & Vladislav Kamenev to trade to Colorado for Duchene.

And by “hypothetically” I mean, not going happen in a million years, but at least it more sense for rebuilding team then those two players.
I agree the trade makes no sense for Ottawa, it's a bad fit for both teams, as a Leaf fan I wouldn't do the trade, and on the otherside of the coin is why would OTT give up a good young player that is a part of their core. Equally the Leafs could get a lot of Rielly and Nylander ina separate trades and target players that are a better fit Cap-wise.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I agree the trade makes no sense for Ottawa, it's a bad fit for both teams, as a Leaf fan I wouldn't do the trade, and on the otherside of the coin is why would OTT give up a good young player that is a part of their core. Equally the Leafs could get a lot of Rielly and Nylander ina separate trades and target players that are a better fit Cap-wise.
Also, now that one nightmare is over, I just saw that Kaprizov finally signed for 5 years/9m, maybe the rest of these RFA jackasses will start signing so we all stop fixating on them.

This is like Tampa Cap Watch last off-season, it was interesting to talk about for a while, until it kept dragging on and on, and then it was just annoying.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
How is Nylander overpaid. He’s paid 6.9 and has been a 35-35 player the last 2 years and has never been under 61 points in a full season. What should he be paid?
He isn’t overpaid, but he’s also never had over 61 points in a full season.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Clearly.

So you know nothing about hockey outside of the leafs. Par for the course in the GTA.

Leafs would take that deal and run. Theyll never have the opportunity to aquire a player like this especially from a divisional rival.
Seeing that Brady is hardly if at all better than Nylander hell no they don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad