Proposal: Trade: Leafs, Senators blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Yea extra cap room because one of those players is elite and the other is overrated based on his daddy's last name.

So a MM at 10 million > BY for 925k for 2 years?

That was the trade I said, in 2019, that Toronto should make. In this case, the deal is very reasonable, perhaps even favours Ottawa, but I still would not do it from an Ottawa perspective. BT sets the stage for the rest of the team. His impact goes beyond points.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Highly doubt the Sens would be interesting in something like this. Nylander is talented and all but a year of Riley and a pretty soft player in Nylander is not what the Sens need.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yeah, pretty sure Ottawa wants those soft ass players and downgrade from Tkachuck for Nylander lol
This might be one of the worst posts ever made. Even more surprising considering as a Habs fan you saw Rielly and Nylander first hand and that they were the Leafs best players by far.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
So the trade is basically…

Brady Tkachuk & Jacob Bernard-Docker in exchange for Nylander, late 1st round draft pick + b prospect and half a year of Rielly.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’d love tkachuk for nylander. But I don’t think Ottawa should do this. Right now he’s their guy, he has probably a 1 in 1000000 skillset Ottawa would be dumb to trade him unless he is asking for 8.5+ He’s gonna breakout next year into a 35-35 guy imo.

it’s like trading Matthews for Petterson. Even if petterson is a ppg+ Center, Matthews is our guy, he’s gonna cost more than he should cuz you’d have to pry him from our hands

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
What if both BT and MR are signed to long term deals? MR was a norris finalist not to long ago and would easily be Ottawa's #1 D if healthy. Anyone who knows hockey knows Nylander is underpaid (cap and real dollars) and under appreciated also. Maybe Brady wants close to 10 million per and Ottawa won't/can't pay. I don't know, I thought it was decent trade value both ways..
Easily? They have Chabot as well you know. Honestly though, from an Ottawa perspective why would they do this?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The offensive difference absolutely is sizeable. Nylander is a 65-70 point guy who can pot 30 goals. Tkachuk hasn't done anything close to that level yet. Bernard-Docker is a laughable add from Ottawa seeing he has next to no shot at being as good as Rielly. Hell we don't even know if he can even be a top four at any point.
Nylander has scored 30 goals once and his career high is 31pts… how exactly is he a 70pt player? He’s also always had either Tavares or Matthews as his Center. Last season he had 42pts in 51 games.

Tkachuk is three years younger and just scored 36 in 56 with who? Connor Brown and Chris Tierny?

You really think six more points while being 3 years older and playing with star players is a “big gap”?

Reilly is a UFA to be, Ottawa is not giving up anything meaningful for a one dimensional D they don’t need for one season. What exactly do you think the value of a UFA Reilly is?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Nylander is a more talented player than Tkachuk, signed to a cheaper deal.

Leafs aren't trading Rielly for Docker either

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I mean since coming into the league Brady has scored more goals than Nylander? Without nearly as good centers/team around him. If you wouldn't trade Nylander for Tkachuk straight up, then you're off your rocker. Value wise Tkachuk is significantly more valuable, strictly for control and age.
i understand the question mark since he has NOT, but, what world are you living in??
i like Tkachuk, but, his career best is still his rookie season, and has shown zero growth offensively.
I expect him t become a 30 goal guy eventually, but, he hasnt taken that step forward in offense yet, and is expecting a more expensive contract than Nylander.
Nylander save for a puke worthy post contract signing season has improved in every aspect of his game.
Value wise, the better player is always worth more, and that is Nylander, sorry.
Tkachuk would fill a huge need on the Leafs, but that doesnt lower Nylander's worth

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So a MM at 10 million > BY for 925k for 2 years?

That was the trade I said, in 2019, that Toronto should make. In this case, the deal is very reasonable, perhaps even favours Ottawa, but I still would not do it from an Ottawa perspective. BT sets the stage for the rest of the team. His impact goes beyond points.
You're talking about a 90 point player vs. a guy with two seasons just over 20 and one where he paced for like 50 points the cap hits do not matter. Jesus this is insane. There's no other 90 point player people would proposed to be traded for a player with middle 6 production.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Reilly has no value to a team that probably won't make the playoffs, especially when the addition of Reilly includes getting rid of valuable assets..

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
And Leaf fans over rate their players? :help:

Nylander overpaid? lol
Yes nylander overpaid, Joel farabee while being 4 years younger and looking to have a higher ceiling had a very similar year in terms of productions and signed for what 1.9 million less than nylander? Comparable players make less therefore he is overpaid

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yes nylander overpaid, Joel farabee while being 4 years younger and looking to have a higher ceiling had a very similar year in terms of productions and signed for what 1.9 million less than nylander? Comparable players make less therefore he is overpaid

Comparable players like Ehlers make less, sure. Farabee is not even a little bit close to a comparable.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Comparable players like Ehlers make less, sure. Farabee is not even a little bit close to a comparable.

last year, Nylander had 4 more points and 3 less goals, with Farabee being 4 years younger and playing in a tougher division.
So saying not even a little bit close, is probably false.

Reactions: Blaine8797

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Toronto fans will say how good their players are and no way they'll do this deal. Meanwhile everyone else will say it makes no sense for Ottawa.

Nylander is overpaid (edit: In cap hit, not real dollars) with only 3 years of team control and Rielly is expiring after this year and Ottawa won't be able to resign him.

This makes absolutely no sense for Ottawa.
How is Nylander overpaid. He’s paid 6.9 and has been a 35-35 player the last 2 years and has never been under 61 points in a full season. What should he be paid?

Reactions: banks

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
We will just compare both of their first full seasons ( Farabee’ being not a full season due to covid clearly) farabee 55 games 20 goals 38 points in an 82 game year 30 goals 56 points
William nylander 81 games 22 goals 61 points
They are completely comparable with farabee having the advantage is goals & mind you farabee had only 11 points in the first half of the season until he got used to the nhl

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You really love to spout nonsense. Nylander is overpaid yet Tkachuk is about to sign for more than him without having produced anywhere near what Nylander has. I wouldn't trade Nylander straight up for Tkachuk and even as a rental Rielly is worth more than the Bernard-docker and I'm the furthest thing from a Leafs fan.

You wouldn't trade Nylander for tkachuk??

I'm pretty sure most leaf fans would. And I'm pretty sure almost all neutral fans would think that's exactly what Toronto needs and would have to add.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Well I mean last season he would’ve had to play 102 games to hit 34 goals so I’d say 35-35 is a bit of a reach
Lol! If splitting hairs on his 33 goal and 70 point average the last 2 years is the best you can do I must’ve made a decent argument.

What a rebuttal.

Edit: I see in another post you’re using goals as your tiebreaker. Makes sense now. You need to do that to squeeze out a mental win. Right on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slyfox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad