Proposal: Trade: Leafs, Senators blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Every Ottawa person says "Bad" or "Wrong" or some other non-whitty sarcastic jab re: add Matthews or Nylander overpaid nonsense but doesn't actually rationalize why that's their belief or perspective.. I actually thought it was more than fair for Ottawa.. gotta give to get right?
Nylander is not overpaid but Tkachuk is more valuable. Offensive difference isn’t very big and Tkachuk is the much, much harder player to play against.
Getting Reilly does absolutely nothing for them. Even with an extension that’s not the type of D they need, they have a better one in Chabot

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Okay so if not from thin air where? Other than your feelings he won’t go 8 x 8. Also if BT signs for 10. For 8 than Reilly signs for 12 for 3 or not at all in Ottawa.

NEVER SAID 10 MILLION LOL
I said "what if BT want's close to 10 mill and Ottawa doesn't want to pay?" If Ottawa has indeed offered 8×8 (as per Sportsnet rumour) and he's clearly not accepted :cool: why would me suggesting he may want close to 10 per year be all that far fetched? Anyways, I actually think 8x8 would be more than fair for BT but i guess in this day and age of nhl contracts, teams seem to have to pay a premium for potential and UFA years amongst other variables.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Nylander is not overpaid but Tkachuk is more valuable. Offensive difference isn’t very big and Tkachuk is the much, much harder player to play against.
Getting Reilly does absolutely nothing for them. Even with an extension that’s not the type of D they need, they have a better one in Chabot

So you dint need Reilly because you gave Chabot? Umm ok, I sort of understand that I guess.. and you think Tkachuk is more valuable to your team than Nylander would be.. ok fair enough, thank you sincerely, cheers

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Multiple ppl have mentioned rfa vs ufa years which has been ignored. Also that Reilly won’t resign in Ottawa I know what if.
RFA vs UFA is not all that relevant if both players sign for what both teams think is a fair deal.. obviously we all know the pros and cons of rfa/ufa's

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So you dint need Reilly because you gave Chabot? Umm ok, I sort of understand that I guess.. and you think Tkachuk is more valuable to your team than Nylander would be.. ok fair enough, thank you sincerely, cheers
Locking up another ~$8M in a similar D to one you already have to play on the second pairing would be terrible cap management IMO

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Toronto fans will say how good their players are and no way they'll do this deal. Meanwhile everyone else will say it makes no sense for Ottawa.

Nylander is overpaid (edit: In cap hit, not real dollars) with only 3 years of team control and Rielly is expiring after this year and Ottawa won't be able to resign him.

This makes absolutely no sense for Ottawa.

LOL FFS everybody on the leafs is overpaid a this point :laugh: you think 6.9M for Nylander is overpaid ? He's the one guy who's underpaid.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Leafs get significantly worse by trading a 1d, and a 60-70pts winger for a good young winger, and a prospect. I also believe they give up more value.

Ottawa, a rebuilding team gives up two young pieces. Senators are in no place to make a deal like this. If they are trading Brady it'll be for a package of high end prospects and picks.

Both teams say no and hang up right away.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Leafs get significantly worse by trading a 1d, and a 60-70pts winger for a good young winger, and a prospect. I also believe they give up more value.

Ottawa, a rebuilding team gives up two young pieces. Senators are in no place to make a deal like this. If they are trading Brady it'll be for a package of high end prospects and picks.

Both teams say no and hang up right away.

Toronto gives up two good players on good contracts, things they desperately need.

However, it comes down to what you think makes the current Maple Leafs team better;

Nylander & Rielly or Brady Tkachuk, JBD & 4m in cap space.

I think both team say no but Toronto atleast gives a thought.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Lol at the Leafs fans saying Nylander is underpaid. He's only underpaid compared to the rest of your contracts.

Nylander is a complimentary winger who has benefited by playing on a team where there's always been bigger offensive threats so he gets more favorable matchups. Even then Tkachuk has scored more goals since joining the league than Nylander has in that time frame.

Nylander is Toronto's Jordan Eberle. It's not a bad thing, he's a good complimentary piece. But he's not worth anything near what Leafs fans think. And he would not produce similarly on an Ottawa team with C depth and limited offensive help.

Still a bad trade for Ottawa.

Reactions: Frosty415 and Turk

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Toronto gives up two good players on good contracts, things they desperately need.

However, it comes down to what you think makes the current Maple Leafs team better;

Nylander & Rielly or Brady Tkachuk, JBD & 4m in cap space.

I think both team say no but Toronto atleast gives a thought.

Toronto would probably make this trade if they have no intentions of keeping Rielly. That being said if they don't keep him he will be almost impossible to replace.

Reactions: Akrapovince

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
No thanks and no I haven't lol.. please next time you quote me, do it in a more worthwhile and meaningful way, thanks

Next time come up with a trade that actually makes sense for both teams involved and isn’t a way to get an elite player on your roster for lesser players. Nylander and Rielly are good hockey players. Brady Tkachuk is a great one.

Ottawa has no reason to make this swap as it does not improve their roster.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The offensive difference absolutely is sizeable. Nylander is a 65-70 point guy who can pot 30 goals. Tkachuk hasn't done anything close to that level yet. Bernard-Docker is a laughable add from Ottawa seeing he has next to no shot at being as good as Rielly. Hell we don't even know if he can even be a top four at any point.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Next time come up with a trade that actually makes sense for both teams involved and isn’t a way to get an elite player on your roster for lesser players. Nylander and Rielly are good hockey players. Brady Tkachuk is a great one.

Ottawa has no reason to make this swap as it does not improve their roster.
Brady Tkachuk is definitely NOT a great hockey player if neither of Rielly or Nylander are. What the f*** even is this?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think Ottawa and Toronto are good trading partners. That deal is not good for Ottawa. We just get a lot softer but with more skill. Reilly and Nylander are solid players but Brady is the Sens identity and future C.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The offensive difference absolutely is sizeable. Nylander is a 65-70 point guy who can pot 30 goals. Tkachuk hasn't done anything close to that level yet. Bernard-Docker is a laughable add from Ottawa seeing he has next to no shot at being as good as Rielly. Hell we don't even know if he can even be a top four at any point.

So there is no way Brady gets more points with Mathews or JT than he does with the 40 point centers he has played with the last 2 years?
I doubt Nylander gets 65 points playing with White or Teirney while being the only target to shut down

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Tkachuk on Toronto gets more points than Nylander on Ottawa. Offensively, Nylander has the edge currently but many expect Brady to close the gap and become a 65pt guy himself sooner rather than later. He's also better at everything else.

Nylander is NOT overpaid. He's a good player but soft as butter when compared to Brady, who holds a lot more value IMO.

Reilly on Ottawa would be bad cap management as well as bad asset management as he would be very unlikely to re-sign. He has value to some teams, but Ottawa isn't one of them.

So, everything considered.. from Ottawa's POV...
Brady > Nylander
JBD > Reilly

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
So there is no way Brady gets more points with Mathews or JT than he does with the 40 point centers he has played with the last 2 years?
I doubt Nylander gets 65 points playing with White or Teirney while being the only target to shut down

Best part about excuses is you can always dig one up

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Tkachuk on Toronto gets more points than Nylander on Ottawa. Offensively, Nylander has the edge currently but many expect Brady to close the gap and become a 65pt guy himself sooner rather than later. He's also better at everything else.

Nylander is NOT overpaid. He's a good player but soft as butter when compared to Brady, who holds a lot more value IMO.

Reilly on Ottawa would be bad cap management as well as bad asset management as he would be very unlikely to re-sign. He has value to some teams, but Ottawa isn't one of them.

So, everything considered.. from Ottawa's POV...
Brady > Nylander
JBD > Reilly

what does the > mean ? It doesn't stand for points, that's for sure

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What if both BT and MR are signed to long term deals? MR was a norris finalist not to long ago and would easily be Ottawa's #1 D if healthy. Anyone who knows hockey knows Nylander is underpaid (cap and real dollars) and under appreciated also. Maybe Brady wants close to 10 million per and Ottawa won't/can't pay. I don't know, I thought it was decent trade value both ways..
5th isn’t a Norris Finalist, that the top three only so Reilly wasn’t a Norris Finalist in 2018-19.

Gio ran away with it, but here ya go.
00615AA0-16FF-4E67-8194-6E4D67145C77.jpeg

Reilly has never received any votes since though.
Reilly also turned 27 in March, so not sure why Ottawa would want to give a long term deal to older Offensive Defenseman who doesn’t really fit with their age group. You pay for offense so it’s going to the most pleasant contract to give out, I don’t see how he’s the bargain alternative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad