GDT: Trade Deadline: Tampa won the Jeannot sweepstakes!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd say the same about Cooke to you. Dude's gonna live in infamy forever as one of the most unhinged, sociopathic players with zero regard for his peers going back to the wild west days of the 70s and 80s.

Oh I agree on Cooke 100%, but Ruutu was also on top of being a head hunter someone that bit people and did all sorts of other bullshit.

Cooke just loved hitting people to hurt them. Most of Cooke’s stuff was “hockey”.

Ruutu was an absolute menace and it’s why Jackman did what he did to him in 07.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I want to upset people.

Evgeni Dadonov or Jonathan Drouin @ 50% for Bleuger + 5th
Anthon Beauvillier for Kasperi Kapanen
Adam Gaudette for Danton Heinen

Jake-Sid-Rakell
Zucker-Geno-Rust
Dads/Drouin-Poehling-Beauvillier
DOC-Gaudette-McGinn
Carter

It's better than what we have.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
After the home loss against San Jose, Sullivan suggested that he had to do a better job of coaching the team. That was nice of him to acknowledge. It would be neat now if one of the hacks could ask him for details on how he thinks that is coming along and maybe share some insights on what this project has entailed... other than preaching that magic sticktoitiveness that unfortunately has not been there.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
After the home loss against San Jose, Sullivan suggested that he had to do a better job of coaching the team. That was nice of him to acknowledge. It would be neat now if one of the hacks could ask him for details on how he thinks that is coming along and maybe share some insights on what this project has entailed... other than preaching that magic sticktoitiveness that unfortunately has not been there.
When he came here in 2016, he was a the biggest proponent of "just play". Whatever happens, ignore it, and just play.

Now, every single penalty or scrum, then pan to Sullivan and he's blowing up like some Karen who got denied her double coupon at the grocery store.

Sullivan 2023 is the anti-thesis of Sullivan 2016-17 that won two Cups.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ulfie was way worse than both Cooke and Ruuttu, if we're traipsing down memory lane. Accidentally took out the eye of a rookie with an intentional high stick, etc.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Ulfie was way worse than both Cooke and Ruuttu, if we're traipsing down memory lane. Accidentally took out the eye of a rookie with an intentional high stick, etc.
Calling it "accidental' is the wrong word. Recklessly took another players eye out would be more apt. He ended his career by spearing him in the face on purpose. Did he mean to pop his eye out? Not likely he probably wanted to knock his teeth out, but its possible. He was known for spearing in the face and knee on knees. Something like 26 incidents of knee on knees and stick to the faces in 10 years back when they were counting lol.

Ulf Samuelsson was a cowardly dirty piece of turd and would have been year suspended and then ejected from the modern league after the 4th intentional incident. He was considered one of the dirtiest players of all time in an era when blindside headshotting was considered ok.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Calling it "accidental' is the wrong word. Recklessly took another players eye out would be more apt. He ended his career by spearing him in the face on purpose. Did he mean to pop his eye out? Not likely he probably wanted to knock his teeth out, but its possible. He was known for spearing in the face and knee on knees. Something like 26 incidents of knee on knees and stick to the faces in 10 years back when they were counting lol.

Ulf Samuelsson was a cowardly dirty piece of turd and would have been year suspended and then ejected from the modern league after the 4th intentional incident. He was considered one of the dirtiest players of all time in an era when blindside headshotting was considered ok.
He was doing this at a time with "killers" on every team that seeked retribution. Cooke did it in a new era softer league. More of a coward, that's arguable

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He was doing this at a time with "killers" on every team that seeked retribution. Cooke did it in a new era softer league. More of a coward, that's arguable

A lot of what Cooke did was within the rule book or just taking advantage of player’s in bad positions.

Super dirty player, but realistically different than the true cheap shot artists who used their sticks and did bullshit in the scrums.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I want to upset people.

Jake-Sid-Rakell
Zucker-Geno-Rust
DOC-Gaudette-McGinn
Carter

anything is better than what we have...with Geno and Sid playing at the level they are playing any change will be sum positive, even if you bring WBS trio Pusty Nylander and one of the centers...

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Yeah wearing a suit of armor/ pads that are now illegal and a visor he would never take off so folks would hurt their hands punching him while he turtled or swung his stick like a baseball bat to keep them from getting close enough to punch lol

We called him Robocop for a reason, and it wasn't his robotic toughness. It was because he wore anti tank armor

Several of the hits Cooke was suspended for would have been legal in Samuelsson's era. He was a dirty SOB, but his rap sheet doesn't compare. Samuelsson by today's standard, would have been ejected from the league long before the Skrudland hit, which was like his 16th intentional knee on knee hit in 5 years.

Reactions: steelcityassault

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I wonder if something like Kapanen for Dickinson from the Hawks would work. Then move Heinen and Blueger for picks and bring in a middle-6 forward.

Bottom 6
Barbashev Dickinson Carter
McGinn Poehling Archibald
O'Connor

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I don't think I've heard or seen this story?
Pierre Mondou

1st round pick for the habs who was playing top line with Mats Naslund. He scored a goal on the Whalers and then Rookie Ulf Samuelsson gave him the Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon special, but lead with his stick blade to the eye and took out his eye. Had to retire at age 29 because his vision was screwed after it.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Pierre Mondou

1st round pick for the habs who was playing top line with Mats Naslund. He scored a goal on the Whalers and then Rookie Ulf Samuelsson gave him the Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon special, but lead with his stick blade to the eye and took out his eye. Had to retire at age 29 because his vision was screwed after it.

Ahh it was during his Whalers time. That's why I don't remember coming across this.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I have zero expectations that hextall will do anything here. Sullican will not play the type of gritty bigger banger player anyway. Sully ran Cole off and then Lafferty. I fire sullivan today as his deal is peanuts compared to the damage he is doing to the franchise.

Last edited:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

That's not a terribly high bar to clear at this point.

I'm at the point where I'm convinced that simply scratching Carter and putting Poehling as the 3rd line center would be better than what we have.

For that matter, I'm not entirely convinced the Pens would't be better off just scratching Carter and playing 11 forwards...

Reactions: SEALBound

Zap Rowsdower

Sep 10, 2019
My favorite Ulf moment was a game vs Rangers when dirty POS Messier had injured ribs and everyone knew it. First thing Ulf did was a big crosscheck right to his ribs.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My favorite Ulf moment was a game vs Rangers when dirty POS Messier had injured ribs and everyone knew it. First thing Ulf did was a big crosscheck right to his ribs.
my favorite ulf moment is when Gretzky's wife got knocked out when the glass popped out from a ulf check and they caught him laughing about it on camera. :laugh:

Pem

Jan 1, 2020
I wonder if something like Kapanen for Dickinson from the Hawks would work. Then move Heinen and Blueger for picks and bring in a middle-6 forward.

Bottom 6
Barbashev Dickinson Carter
McGinn Poehling Archibald
O'Connor
We're addressing the symptoms folks not the cause.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I want to upset people.

Jake-Sid-Rakell
Zucker-Geno-Rust
DOC-Gaudette-McGinn
Carter

Looks like a dream lineup.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I've come around the full way on Hextall. Not that I was some massive Hextall booster, but my frustration and tiredness was so much more focused on Sullivan. I know this is "duh" territory for many of you, but Ron should just be gone. When you stack up the fact that our depth scoring has gotten significantly crappier, when it was one of our strong suits last year its hard understand. Some of this is down to a stale coach whose tenure has curdled right before our very eyes, but so much of it seems to just be a GM who was made the wrong decision whenever he was forced to make a choice.

Carter worked out initially. Poehling looks like a fine player. Aside from that, every other decision has been wrong. ERod went while Heinen stayed. McCann gone while Carter was protected. Stuff like Marino >> Petry is harder to judge because, as mentioned above, everyone seems to look worse under our system, and better when they move away. People have been harping on about these moves already, but when you see the bigger picture, and how the same issues are costing us night after night as our season unravels into shit (GK depth, no scoring outside of the top 6, lack of willingness to change things) it just brings the bigger picture

There is being patient as a GM, and then there is conservatism to the point of impotence. Rutherford was a madman, but by god he tried his damnest to shake things up if we were in a funk as bad as this. Just get both Sullivan and Hextall out, and start with a clean slate in the summer. I hope ownership or Burke (probably not) exercises veto power over any big moves Hextall tries to make in the next two weeks. Paying a big price out of desperation, only to squeak into the playoffs and get bounced in 4-6 games is a waste of everyone's time and assets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad