Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I dont see poile trading saros unless he has a surefire average starter coming back in the trade. I dont think the owners would let him even if he wanted to. Saros would be our best trade chip but it isnt happening.

Ekholm is our next best trade chip. Honestly, i thinj it may be the best route. McDonagh could be the 2nd line lhd anchor and Fabbro goes back with josi where he can try and regain some confidence. Carrier and McDonagh could be a good pair. Or hynes could go nuts and make lauzon the 2nd pairing lhd instead of 2nd pairing rhd.
As much as I'd hate to see it, trading Ekholm has become a real possibility. The last couple years when people wanted to get the picks out of his expiring contract it didn't make sens because there wasn't a replacement but now with McDonough there is a replacement and probably over payment for those top 3 Dmen. Trading him so you can afford to sign Fabbro long-term secures a top 4 (maybe top 2) defensemen that the future team will need.

I look at trading Granlund and Johansen (with retention) the same way, turning their $13M combined into something around $5-6 will go a long way, plus open up spots for younger players.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
As much as I'd hate to see it, trading Ekholm has become a real possibility. The last couple years when people wanted to get the picks out of his expiring contract it didn't make sens because there wasn't a replacement but now with McDonough there is a replacement and probably over payment for those top 3 Dmen. Trading him so you can afford to sign Fabbro long-term secures a top 4 (maybe top 2) defensemen that the future team will need.

I look at trading Granlund and Johansen (with retention) the same way, turning their $13M combined into something around $5-6 will go a long way, plus open up spots for younger players.
Id like to trade granlund but his seeming unwillingness to shoot the puck and lack of goalscoring will be offputting to potential trading partners. His goalscoring per 60 is on a 4th line forward level.

Joey is still useful but overpaid. I dont know how i feel about trading him. I go back and forth tbh. Theres games where i feel like glass and crew are ready to take over then theres games where im glad we got joey to fall back on.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I dont see poile trading saros unless he has a surefire average starter coming back in the trade. I dont think the owners would let him even if he wanted to. Saros would be our best trade chip but it isnt happening.

Ekholm is our next best trade chip. Honestly, i thinj it may be the best route. McDonagh could be the 2nd line lhd anchor and Fabbro goes back with josi where he can try and regain some confidence. Carrier and McDonagh could be a good pair. Or hynes could go nuts and make lauzon the 2nd pairing lhd instead of 2nd pairing rhd.
Something needs to be done before this remotely becomes a possibility. Watching him try to run the offensive zone like Josi last night made me physically ill.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Don't know how much stock you put in rumors but apparently Poile is basically willing to sell anyone on the roster. I think the only way that is a possibility is if the owners basically give their ok, and if Haslam is coming in they may do it but who freaking knows.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
People claiming that late-1sts and early-2nds are close to worthless are truly out to lunch.

Think about it, the Blues for example. Their current core and where they were drafted:

Robert Thomas - late 1st
Jordan Kyrou - early 2nd

ROR (who was their 1C when they won the Cup) - early 2nd
They also drafted Tage Thompson with a late 1st.

Dallas:

Hintz - early 2nd
Robertson - early 2nd
Oettinger - late 1st

Boston

Pastrnak - late 1st
Bergeron - early 2nd
McAvoy - mid 1st

I can go on and on.

But really, to claim these picks are worthless and won't get us anywhere are nonsense. Especially in a draft like the one coming up. It's not the prospects' fault that the Preds can't develop them if their life depended on it.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
People claiming that late-1sts and early-2nds are close to worthless are truly out to lunch.

Think about it, the Blues for example. Their current core and where they were drafted:

Robert Thomas - late 1st
Jordan Kyrou - early 2nd

Dallas:

Hintz - early 2nd
Robertson - early 2nd
Oettinger - late 1st

Boston

Pastrnak - late 1st
Bergeron - early 2nd
McAvoy - mid 1st

I can go on and on.

But really, to claim these picks are worthless and won't get us anywhere are nonsense. Especially in a draft like the one coming up. It's not the prospects' fault that the Preds can't develop them if their life depended on it.
It's not that they're "worthless"... it's that they're usually "overrated" here. You can't just cherry-pick a list of names of the picks who panned out. You have to do it statistically. What are the odds of getting those players? 20%? 10%? Sure, that's still value. It just overlooks the counter-odds that there's an 80% chance you get Austin Watson (or worse). (If those were the actual %ages) And the payoff for winning that lottery won't come for several years either.

It's fine, I don't know what deals we're nixing on the basis of over-valuing 1st round picks here anyway. Saros? Indeed, we're not trading Saros for that kind of pick. We're not trading Saros, period. If we're arguing about Granlund, Johansen, McDonagh... then those picks aren't even on the table. So it's all kind of a moot point for us, alas.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
St Louis setting that table for the future
If our guys were impending UFAs, we'd have done the same.

Or could we? O'Reilly was easy to move due to having only $1M salary this year after his bonus payout, so easy to retain on a pro-rated fraction of just $1M. Even when our guys hit UFA, they are still going to have salary matching their Cap hits left, so the double-retention-flip won't be as easy for us. Anyway, Poile (or his replacement) better be ready to retain at some point.

Oh well, that's still 2 years away.

Meanwhile, should be a little easier in our remaining games against the Blues. TBH, them losing Acciari might be as much help as ROR... that guy always seems to play hard and be noticeable when I watch them.

They might get another one for Barbashev too.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think Ekholm could fetch a 1st.

:edmonton

Ekholm

:nashville

Broberg
2023 1st
Puljujärvi (cap reasons)
It was one of the few offers on the main board threads that caught my eye, even when we were more "in the playoff race" than we are now and generally rejecting the idea of trading Ekholm.

But if that offer still stood today, I'd take it. Broberg is exactly the element we need back in any Ekholm trade, he's a young NHL-ready LD who can step right into our lineup. If they still needed to dump more Cap on us than just Puljujarvi, I'd take whatever other dump they proposed as well (even Foegele with another year left).

EDIT: And I would add also, that if they had a preference for giving us a 2024 pick instead of 2023, that's also ok. We're getting immediate impact already in the Broberg part, so whether the pick is this year or next year wouldn't be a sticking point for me. (It would be nice to have one in our host year, and it would be nice to have one when Edmonton isn't soooo high in the standings like this year... but "nice"... not essential).

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

Robert Thomas - late 1st
Jordan Kyrou - early 2nd

Dallas:

Hintz - early 2nd
Robertson - early 2nd
Oettinger - late 1st

Boston

Pastrnak - late 1st
Bergeron - early 2nd
McAvoy - mid 1st

I can go on and on.

It seems more like we develop them and then push them out of the airplane. Farm franchise stuff.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Rando interview on Sirius/XM NHL was clarifying the playoff picture and said that the Blues were done for the year (obvious). When asked about the Preds, he said they are totally dooooone. They don't have a chance. Poile should sell whatever he can. Anything else would be a huge mistake.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Rando interview on Sirius/XM NHL was clarifying the playoff picture and said that the Blues were done for the year (obvious). When asked about the Preds, he said they are totally dooooone. They don't have a chance. Poile should sell whatever he can. Anything else would be a huge mistake.
It's pretty obvious we're done. The 1-3 start after the break sealed things. Especially with the team looking so lackluster that there isn't any reason to think some miracle 20-8 run is on the horizon. There's nothing in sight that would give reason for such optimism... Forsberg is hurt, the schedule at the end of season is really tough, there is no new coach, nothing. Even if we won all our games in hand now, we're still not in the Wildcard spot, which is an illusion folks had been clutching for awhile.

But then... we come back to the dagger through the heart... there may not be anything Poile can sell. Teams want impending UFAs, not contracts with 2 or 3 years left on them. He has nothing to sell that the market wants. :(

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It's pretty obvious we're done. The 1-3 start after the break sealed things. Especially with the team looking so lackluster that there isn't any reason to think some miracle 20-8 run is on the horizon. There's nothing in sight that would give reason for such optimism... Forsberg is hurt, the schedule at the end of season is really tough, there is no new coach, nothing. Even if we won all our games in hand now, we're still not in the Wildcard spot, which is an illusion folks had been clutching for awhile.

But then... we come back to the dagger through the heart... there may not be anything Poile can sell. Teams want impending UFAs, not contracts with 2 or 3 years left on them. He has nothing to sell that the market wants. :(
Well, at least Cole Smith isn't on an expiring contract now.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
In my opinion:

Fire Hynes. Interim coach for the ROS.

Play Tomasino. Play Glass.

Sell.
- Granlund is the most obvious candidate.
- Nino is another
- I personally do not want to move Ekholm ever
- I am ambivalent on RyJo. I don't think you can get his value in a trade. He is not having a great year, but Hynes doesn't and hasn't liked him/put him in a position to succeed since day 1. I would keep him.
- Saros is a huge chip, which you could consider moving, only due to our best prospect being a goalie. I don't see this is happening until he is forced from the starter spot by that prospect. I agree with that.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Nino could be moved to a team that wants a little more than a rental.

Granlund would take a special buyer. He refuses to shoot. Being one of Hynes' favorites may have worn him out over the last couple of seasons. I also think his skill set is a little unique for a winger. With the term on his contract, a buyer really should consider all the options and risks with adding him.

Ekholm and McD are basically interchangeable in terms of contracts. McD has the NTC though. I'd guess that the list of teams wanting to pick up a contract with term and what they'd be willing to return is a shallow pool. I mean McD was traded to the Preds for a box of doughnuts.

Pure rentals cupboard is bare. Jank, Lankinen, and Boro. Boro might be a throw in LTIR for about $1M in wiggleroom.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Nino could be moved to a team that wants a little more than a rental.

Granlund would take a special buyer. He refuses to shoot. Being one of Hynes' favorites may have worn him out over the last couple of seasons. I also think his skill set is a little unique for a winger. With the term on his contract, a buyer really should consider all the options and risks with adding him.

Ekholm and McD are basically interchangeable in terms of contracts. McD has the NTC though. I'd guess that the list of teams wanting to pick up a contract with term and what they'd be willing to return is a shallow pool. I mean McD was traded to the Preds for a box of doughnuts.

Pure rentals cupboard is bare. Jank, Lankinen, and Boro. Boro might be a throw in LTIR for about $1M in wiggleroom.
I think the question is: are there any Buyers with projectable Cap space.

I can see Boston and Carolina on that list. But Boston probably prefers to wait and see with some of their veterans before committing that space? Once they sign Patrnak, the rest is probably held in reserve to accommodate those guys, plus their performance bonus overages from this year. So maybe just Carolina.

If it's just Carolina, while I could see Nino or Granlund fitting there and doing well, I'm not sure we can expect much of a return if just one team is bidding? :dunno:

Is there realistically anybody else who might be on the list? :dunno:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I think the question is: are there any Buyers with projectable Cap space.

I can see Boston and Carolina on that list. But Boston probably prefers to wait and see with some of their veterans before committing that space? Once they sign Patrnak, the rest is probably held in reserve to accommodate those guys, plus their performance bonus overages from this year. So maybe just Carolina.

If it's just Carolina, while I could see Nino or Granlund fitting there and doing well, I'm not sure we can expect much of a return if just one team is bidding? :dunno:

Is there realistically anybody else who might be on the list? :dunno:
Not really. It's wishful thinking that a flock of eager bidders are going to pop up like daisies.

Further wishful thinking is that these bidders will be handing out great returns for our underperformers. Granlund was a UFA not that long ago and almost ended up playing in Europe. McD was traded for a box of chocolates: has his value risen?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Not really. It's wishful thinking that a flock of eager bidders are going to pop up like daisies.

Further wishful thinking is that these bidders will be handing out great returns for our underperformers. Granlund was a UFA not that long ago and almost ended up playing in Europe. McD was traded for a box of chocolates: has his value risen?
Carolina already got Pacioretty and Burns for free. They kind of know that market exists. I suspect if they take on others, they will be well within their rights to believe they can likewise get them for free.

Fair enough. I guess end of the day, I'd give away Granlund for free, if that's all that's available. If that's even available.

Nino will be a true impending UFA next year, though, so I'd probably hold onto him for next season's Deadline instead of giving him away for free now.

Reactions: Kat Predator

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Somewhere around the Sharks and Yotes games is the decision cutoff point for hockey trade, stand pat, or sell. The Preds sit a 2-3 games in hand with the Flames and Wild .... so 4-6 potential points out there in the ether at any given moment. As long as those potential points are enough to keep the team in touch with WC2, the team is unlikely to go into a full sell mode. Figure probably 5-7 points beyond what the games in hand could close rather than the single point more as it sits right now.

If the Preds get swept this weekend, that point is probably right at the Sharks game and leans heavily towards sell. If the Preds sweep this weekend and sit 3 points back of the Wild with two games in hand after tomorrow, that decision slides more towards next weekend versus Arizona and more towards standing pat or making a hockey trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad