Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
There is absolutely no chance Toronto trades Matthews and even less chance that trade centers around a goalie

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Some yahoo on the radio (didn't catch his name) was predicting the Oilers would win the West and advance to the cup because they'd make moves at the TDL to add prime pieces to their D. He threw at least a dozen names out there, but one of them was Josi.

No idea if he was hitting a pipe or not...

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
So apparently the banter out there is Fabbro is going to get moved. Things have gotten bad enough that they have made me agree with Jared Stillman of all people. How many first round picks are they going to throw away because of a bad coach?

There isn't one that he likes apparently. Tomasino is finally back after his inexplicable banishment.

This team will remain broken until it finds a coach who can both lead and coach. Hynes has been obviously bad from the get go. I'm just waiting for things to finally change.

Reactions: predhead1

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Some yahoo on the radio (didn't catch his name) was predicting the Oilers would win the West and advance to the cup because they'd make moves at the TDL to add prime pieces to their D. He threw at least a dozen names out there, but one of them was Josi.

No idea if he was hitting a pipe or not...
He was. For starters Josi has a NMC and secondly we would need to eat a ton of bad contracts or cap to make it work. Finally I don't think they have the assets to get Josi.

• Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Id also keep an i on edmonton for ekholm/saros. Their defense is thin and campbell has been a disaster. Theyre running short on time with draisaitls sweetheart deal and at this point id have to imagine mcdavid and draisaitls patience must be running thin.
Campbell actually had a really good February from the perspective of playing just good enough to win.

He has a .913 and a 2.27GAA. And they have a good young goalie in Stuart Skinner. They aren't going to trade for Saros.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Campbell actually had a really good February from the perspective of playing just good enough to win.

He has a .913 and a 2.27GAA. And they have a good young goalie in Stuart Skinner. They aren't going to trade for Saros.
Stats im seeing:
Campbell has played 3 games in February (Detroit x2 and Ottawa). Perhaps you meant a different month.
84 shots against
75 saves
9 goals against
89.29 sv%

I think you may of been looking at Skinners stats. Campbell has been a black hole statistically all season.

Skinner looks good but has 44 career games. Thats not a duo id hang my hat on.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Stats im seeing:
Hes played 3 games in February (Detroit x2 and Ottawa). Perhaps you meant a different month.
84 shots against
75 saves
9 goals against
89.29 sv%

Skinner looks good but has 44 career games. Thats not a duo id hang my hat on.
Sorry meant Jan. Skinner is an unknown but much like our developing players, they know him and believe in him becoming a starter.

If we trade Saros, I'd look at LA Kings as the team.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230217-080941.png
    Screenshot_20230217-080941.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: FSL KINGS

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
If they want attendance to plummet, and become completely irrelevant, absolutely. They'd lose a lot of fans, including me.
Attendance will plummet with this kind of rudderless below-average hockey being the norm. Did you see the game last night? There were a lot of fans there, but most were not our fans. Bottom line is this is a team not built for championships. They will continue to flail about the edges of the last WC spot and will never be serious contenders for the Cup. They will continue to draft in the middle of the rounds hoping to strike gold. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results - and that is what Poile and Co. are doing.
They will lose you as a fan if they decide the window for a Cup is closed (it is) and they want to rebuild with purpose and direction (with a new coach and GM hopefully)? Well the current direction of this team has me teetering on the edge of my fandom and I can promise you I am not the only one who feels that way.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Attendance will plummet with this kind of rudderless below-average hockey being the norm. Did you see the game last night? There were a lot of fans there, but most were not our fans. Bottom line is this is a team not built for championships. They will continue to flail about the edges of the last WC spot and will never be serious contenders for the Cup. They will continue to draft in the middle of the rounds hoping to strike gold. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results - and that is what Poile and Co. are doing.
They will lose you as a fan if they decide the window for a Cup is closed (it is) and they want to rebuild with purpose and direction (with a new coach and GM hopefully)? Well the current direction of this team has me teetering on the edge of my fandom and I can promise you I am not the only one who feels that way.
but your solution is to trade off the only good things Poile has brought us to give Poile more draft capital to make more mistakes?

Also, a severely disordered state of mind usually occurring as a specific disorder, is the definition of insanity.

Reactions: Armourboy

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
If you are looking to move bad contracts you don't bring one back that is worse :laugh:
If you are wearing Oiler homer glasses, other NHL teams should be standing in line to help out by exchanging their best players for bad Oiler contracts.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Sell Granlund,
Sell McDonagh (a good GM could, see BriseBois)
Sell Johansen

I understand these moves. Selling Saros, one of only 3 above average players on the team. I don't understand, especially if it's to get Poile more draft capital to sh the bed with.

I don't understand trading Fabbro for less than what we paid for him either.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Sell Granlund,
Sell McDonagh (a good GM could, see BriseBois)
Sell Johansen

I understand these moves. Selling Saros, one of only 3 above average players on the team. I don't understand, especially if it's to get Poile more draft capital to sh the bed with.

I don't understand trading Fabbro for less than what we paid for him either.

I think it will be tough to move the Granlund and Joey contracts but who knows. Then again, if someone does actually have the cap for them then maybe they'll look at Fiala/Tolvanen and believe it's possible these guys have far more upside than it seems.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think it will be tough to move the Granlund and Joey contracts but who knows. Then again, if someone does actually have the cap for them then maybe they'll look at Fiala/Tolvanen and believe it's possible these guys have far more upside than it seems.
I agree, it will be somewhere on the spectrum from "tough" to "impossible" to move any of Granlund, Johansen, or McDonagh. However, it's always worth a try. And that involves doing the internal math on what thresholds could be acceptable for retentions. Or in Joey's case the buyout also, since his is the least-painful one.

And the reason it's these 3 guys is that we aren't seeing any signs that they are performing above the level of replacements we already have on hand. At least, for certain that applies to Johansen and Granlund, where we've seen enough good things from Parssinen/Glass/Novak to be able to believe those replacements would be a net advantage to us. McDonagh is perhaps more arguable, but I don't see our defensive play this year with him parachuted in place being notably superior to last year when we didn't have him and leaned more on Fabbro and Carrier instead.

I suppose one could add Ekholm to the list. But moving him would instead require a high value return, and one that includes an NHL-ready young D as part of the package to replace him, since we don't have graduating NHL-ready D prospects in house. He "ain't broke"... yet... but at some point in the not-too-distant future he might be, and if you were really cleaning house, this would be a chance to get value before that happens. I'm not in favor of this since I still think we can and should compete next season, but I understand the argument for it.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Remember, trades are a two way street, there has to be interest coming the other way.
Teams are looking for players, and to be fair to all of Granlund, Johansen, and McDonagh, they are not bad players. All 3 bring something to the table. Something that teams would like to have. On the ice.

The problem is the $$$.

Granlund is an industrious playmaking middle-6 winger who should be worth someting like $3-4M in salary. He isn't a $5M player who should be playing 20 minutes a night in all situations like he is here. Granlund at $3M would draw interest.

Johansen is a big playmaking middle-6 center who is great on faceoffs. He should be worth something like $5M. He isn't an $8M #1 center.

McDonagh is a solid veteran #4 defensemen with a wealth of playoff experience. He should be worth something like $3-4M in salary. He isn't a $6.75M 1st-pair defenseman.

The interest would be wholly contingent on the $$$. With Bally going belly-up there may be some disruption to NHL revenues as well... whether the league will allow that to affect the Cap or not, I doubt, but who knows. Anyway, it won't help teams become more eager to commit to overpaid players with term left on their contracts, that's for sure.

So if we want interest, we would have to make the $$$ attractive to teams. Which means retention or taking dumps back. Which, again, we come full circle to doubting Poile will have an appetite for. So, again, we're stuck. Round and round we go..... :scared:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If they want attendance to plummet, and become completely irrelevant, absolutely. They'd lose a lot of fans, including me.

I think fans are already getting tired of our team right now. Someone just threw a catfish last night when we were down 5-0. We're already on our way to becoming irrelevant with Saros, we're in no man's land of being bad enough to play for a wild card spot at best but not bad enough to draft a team changing talent.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I think fans are already getting tired of our team right now. Someone just threw a catfish last night when we were down 5-0. We're already on our way to becoming irrelevant with Saros, we're in no man's land of being bad enough to play for a wild card spot at best but not bad enough to draft a team changing talent.

Hah I missed that. Ended up doing the method where I would watch something else then watch the recording. At some point I just said f it and started FF until I saw a goal and went back.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
In a modified "blow-up" scenario, it makes sense to trade Saros because:
As we're proving, we'll lose with him or without him.​
He's underpaid with a good, short contract, and at the top of his game. We'd get the most in return.​
We have a 1st round goalie in Milwaukee who can have a long Pekka-esque career. It's worth the risk.​

Keeping Saros long-term devalues your 1st round Askarov pick and stunts his ascension to the NHL.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I dont see poile trading saros unless he has a surefire average starter coming back in the trade. I dont think the owners would let him even if he wanted to. Saros would be our best trade chip but it isnt happening.

Ekholm is our next best trade chip. Honestly, i thinj it may be the best route. McDonagh could be the 2nd line lhd anchor and Fabbro goes back with josi where he can try and regain some confidence. Carrier and McDonagh could be a good pair. Or hynes could go nuts and make lauzon the 2nd pairing lhd instead of 2nd pairing rhd.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In a modified "blow-up" scenario, it makes sense to trade Saros because:
As we're proving, we'll lose with him or without him.​
He's underpaid with a good, short contract, and at the top of his game. We'd get the most in return.
We have a 1st round goalie in Milwaukee who can have a long Pekka-esque career. It's worth the risk.​

Keeping Saros long-term devalues your 1st round Askarov pick and stunts his ascension to the NHL.
There is no such thing as an equitable goaltending trade for the team giving up the goaltender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad