Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Speaking of math, we could burn like 77% of our cap in dead money and still (barely) put out a team composed of ELCs.

At least no one could say we were overpaying anyone.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Somewhere around the Sharks and Yotes games is the decision cutoff point for hockey trade, stand pat, or sell. The Preds sit a 2-3 games in hand with the Flames and Wild .... so 4-6 potential points out there in the ether at any given moment. As long as those potential points are enough to keep the team in touch with WC2, the team is unlikely to go into a full sell mode. Figure probably 5-7 points beyond what the games in hand could close rather than the single point more as it sits right now.

If the Preds get swept this weekend, that point is probably right at the Sharks game and leans heavily towards sell. If the Preds sweep this weekend and sit 3 points back of the Wild with two games in hand after tomorrow, that decision slides more towards next weekend versus Arizona and more towards standing pat or making a hockey trade.
i hope we get destroyed by Minnesota

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Somewhere around the Sharks and Yotes games is the decision cutoff point for hockey trade, stand pat, or sell. The Preds sit a 2-3 games in hand with the Flames and Wild .... so 4-6 potential points out there in the ether at any given moment. As long as those potential points are enough to keep the team in touch with WC2, the team is unlikely to go into a full sell mode. Figure probably 5-7 points beyond what the games in hand could close rather than the single point more as it sits right now.

If the Preds get swept this weekend, that point is probably right at the Sharks game and leans heavily towards sell. If the Preds sweep this weekend and sit 3 points back of the Wild with two games in hand after tomorrow, that decision slides more towards next weekend versus Arizona and more towards standing pat or making a hockey trade.
I'd say likely today is the break point.. This game is against the team your're chasing, if you want to catch them, you kinda got take 2 points from them here.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I'd say likely today is the break point.. This game is against the team your're chasing, if you want to catch them, you kinda got take 2 points from them here.
If the Preds lose in regulation today they sit 7 points back with 2 games in hand ... so still anywhere between 3 and 7 points back depending how those games in hand go. It's like last season and the must trade Forsberg talk while still in touch with the playoffs ... teams don't become true sellers while still really in the hunt. After yesterday there isn't enough possible separation for the team to go into full sell mode.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Fun fact:

The Predators sit at 22nd league wide. That's literally the boundary spot between middle third and bottom third overall. The teams below them are: Ottawa, St Louis, Philadelphia[*], Montreal, Vancouver, Arizona, San Jose, Columbus, Anaheim, and Chicago. All 10 of those teams are in some phase of a rebuild, selling off assets to riding their prospects, and aren't truly trying to compete.

[*] The Flyers might be debated. There seems to be some degree of self-delusion they are just a player or two away from being competitive. ;)

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Fun fact:

The Predators sit at 22nd league wide. That's literally the boundary spot between middle third and bottom third overall. The teams below them are: Ottawa, St Louis, Philadelphia[*], Montreal, Vancouver, Arizona, San Jose, Columbus, Anaheim, and Chicago. All 10 of those teams are in some phase of a rebuild, selling off assets to riding their prospects, and aren't truly trying to compete.

[*] The Flyers might be debated. There seems to be some degree of self-delusion they are just a player or two away from being competitive. ;)

More fun of a fact:
The Preds sit 18th in points percentage league wide rather than comparing total points when the number of games played differers ... Florida has 5 more games played than the Preds, Calgary 3 more ... both of those teams are within reach depending how the games in hand turn out ... in fact five teams are within reach if the Preds win their games in hand which is why the Islanders, Caps, and Panthers all have more points (so above 22 in that sort) but a lower points percentage.

Reactions: Viqsi

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
A hockey trade involving Granlund is still the most sensible option I see. His 5on5 numbers are Cole Smith like ... not what we need from a top six winger .. 13 5on5 points so far this season with over 13 minutes per game in that situation. Moving him out opens a full time spot for Novak / Tomasino / Evangalista for the remainder of this season and next when a decision on Nino is due.

Reactions: TJW

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I would be all for moving Granlund, just not sure anyone is interested in 2+ more years of him at $5M at this point. I certainly wouldn't be. But if Poile can find a taker great.

I'm thinking one of the big aging names/salaries that can actually get a good return needs to go. Don't really care who (really none should be off the table) but we need cap flexibility and futures. Doesn't have to be a full teardown. But having said that, there's really nothing that *needs* to be done at the deadline, since none of our contracts are expiring. Offseason may be the time.

Reactions: Hose Pipe

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I would be all for moving Granlund, just not sure anyone is interested in 2+ more years of him at $5M at this point. I certainly wouldn't be. But if Poile can find a taker great.

I'm thinking one of the big aging names/salaries that can actually get a good return needs to go. Don't really care who (really none should be off the table) but we need cap flexibility and futures. Doesn't have to be a full teardown. But having said that, there's really nothing that *needs* to be done at the deadline, since none of our contracts are expiring. Offseason may be the time.

Him at $5mil is a lot easier to fit in another team's cap space than Joey or Duchene at $8mil .. retaining just means dead cap for us and the team is already eating $2mil per season for years with Turris. If I were Poile I'd look for a defender in return to bolster the depth there and push Lauzon back to the 3rd pairing where he belongs. Chychrun would be a pipe dream ... but works money and term wise each way.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Sure he's easier to fit in theory. He's just playing extremely poorly. Again, if Poile can find someone willing to give even a fringe 2nd pair defenseman for him then I'm all for it.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Sure he's easier to fit in theory. He's just playing extremely poorly. Again, if Poile can find someone willing to give even a fringe 2nd pair defenseman for him then I'm all for it.
Granny is a lot of hustle. He's ok on the PP compared to others on the team on this season's highly inconsistent PP ... against an empty net he's a killer ... 5on5, he's not performing. If the team were to retain on a trade, Granny is the most affordable option maxing out at $2.5 mil retained for two years. A decent 2nd /3rd pair defender and maybe a late draft pick coming back addresses a depth issue with Boro likely done and almost definitely gone from the playing roster after this season ... Carrier and Fabbro requiring a real cost / benefit analysis when it comes to their next contract.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Granny, Joey, and Ekholm seem like the obvious deadline bait. If not now, then at the draft. Forsberg injured is hurt, but my tin foil hat says Tomasino is called up to get a look as trade bait as well. Would love to see the Preds pull something out of left field and get Meier and finish with a top 10 pick. If they're in this same position next year, then Saros has to be traded as well

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No matter what happens its going to take a couple of years to get this team back on the right track. Far too many big contracts that need to go and then there is the coaching staff. Team reverted back to a 1990's idea of how to play hockey and it just doesn't work, not with the speed that is on the ice today.

Reactions: SouthNash and TJW

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well losing to Minnesota in regulation should cement us as sellers. While it is still technically possible to catch up, its going to be hard to close that gap prior to the trade deadline.

From Poiles perspective, it's fish or cut bait. At this point, id cut bait and see what i can get. Dont want to gut the team but if we can do some restructuring and allow novak and Parssinen to take a bigger role im all for it. On defense, i dont really want to trade ekholm but hes the only one that makes sense. We got 3 aging lhd making more than 6 million each. 2 have trade protections... the other is ekholm. McDonagh could probably be moved but thats gonna be difficult because of his ntc.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Well losing to Minnesota in regulation should cement us as sellers. While it is still technically possible to catch up, its going to be hard to close that gap prior to the trade deadline.

From Poiles perspective, it's fish or cut bait. At this point, id cut bait and see what i can get. Dont want to gut the team but if we can do some restructuring and allow novak and Parssinen to take a bigger role im all for it. On defense, i dont really want to trade ekholm but hes the only one that makes sense. We got 3 aging lhd making more than 6 million each. 2 have trade protections... the other is ekholm. McDonagh could probably be moved but thats gonna be difficult because of his ntc.

It doesn't when the team is 3 points back beyond what games in hand can cover. The spread isn't wide enough to cement anything yet. There is a reason why there are so few trades in the weeks and days up until the deadline then things break then ... it gives every GM the most time to see how things sort out ... we'll still have two games in hand on the Wild and one game in hand on the Flames on March 3rd.

And the why I don't see any of the teams in the fight right now to become sellers before the month ends ----

Preds games before the deadline:
VAN, @SJS, @Ari, PIT, @FLA
Min: (they are a .500 team on the road)
LAK, @CBJ, @TOR, CBJ, NYI, @Van
Calgary:
PHI, @Ari, @VGK, @COL, BOS, TOR

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It doesn't when the team is 3 points back beyond what games in hand can cover. The spread isn't wide enough to cement anything yet. There is a reason why there are so few trades in the weeks and days up until the deadline then things break then ... it gives every GM the most time to see how things sort out ... we'll still have two games in hand on the Wild and one game in hand on the Flames on March 3rd.

And the why I don't see any of the teams in the fight right now to become sellers before the month ends ----

Preds games before the deadline:
VAN, @SJS, @Ari, PIT, @FLA
Min: (they are a .500 team on the road)
LAK, @CBJ, @TOR, CBJ, NYI, @Van
Calgary:
PHI, @Ari, @VGK, @COL, BOS, TOR
Only one of us makes the playoffs, MIN is in the position now. MIN has a better road record than us and 3 of our 5 games are on the road. We both face bottom dwelling teams 3 games. We happened to of lost to arizona not that long ago. So while they face 1 more team than us the strength of schedule isnt that much different.

Reactions: nullednumbed

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Only one of us makes the playoffs, MIN is in the position now. MIN has a better road record than us and 3 of our 5 games are on the road. We both face bottom dwelling teams 3 games. We happened to of lost to arizona not that long ago. So while they face 1 more team than us the strength of schedule isnt that much different.

It still isn't enough to declare the team a seller on 2/19. Well, not if we use a century of hockey history as a guide. If the team chooses to go into full sell mode by 3/3 is undetermined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad