Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] D Moritz Seider re-signs with the Red Wings (7 years, $8.55M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
To be honest, even as a Red WIng fan, I have to admit that their time frame is closing in fast and unless they get real progress in the prospects forcing their way into the roster, their frame will start closing in on some players. Larkin isn't getting any younger and we still don't have anyone to replace him with, once his play drops down to a level where he should drop down to 2nd line or lower. I have faith that at least 2 out of 5 good prospects that we have will pan out, but they're about a year behind in what they should be. We should have a center in the pipeline wetting his feet in the games, we should have at least one more defenseman pushing the veterans out this season on top of Edvinsson.

The longer it takes for those placeholder veterans to lose their jobs, the narrower the window of success will be as we simply can not expect to luck out in getting that surefire center prospect suddenly, especially when we didn't get it when we were legitimately bad. Being a middle of the road team, we just can't afford to stay that way for long if we want to succeed.

Reactions: Czechboy

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
To be honest, even as a Red WIng fan, I have to admit that their time frame is closing in fast and unless they get real progress in the prospects forcing their way into the roster, their frame will start closing in on some players. Larkin isn't getting any younger and we still don't have anyone to replace him with, once his play drops down to a level where he should drop down to 2nd line or lower. I have faith that at least 2 out of 5 good prospects that we have will pan out, but they're about a year behind in what they should be. We should have a center in the pipeline wetting his feet in the games, we should have at least one more defenseman pushing the veterans out this season on top of Edvinsson.

The longer it takes for those placeholder veterans to lose their jobs, the narrower the window of success will be as we simply can not expect to luck out in getting that surefire center prospect suddenly, especially when we didn't get it when we were legitimately bad. Being a middle of the road team, we just can't afford to stay that way for long if we want to succeed.
WTF?! Their window hasn’t even opened yet. Because the rebuild is still going depending on what they do this year.

Like… what.

Reactions: Oddbob

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
they're like the 6th best team in the Atlantic, the time is definitely not now
The biggest issue with the Red Wings is that it's not at all clear when their time will be.

I think this is a good deal I still like Seider a lot as a player. For me the best part of it is that it takes him to 30. For a guy with his playstyle and lack of high end mobility that's right about the time he'll probably start to see a hard decline, would guess his next contract is a lot cheaper. Worst thing to do IMO on these types of players is sign them to like 27 or 28 while they are still at their best and then suddenly you're screwed when their play starts declining.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The biggest issue with the Red Wings is that it's not at all clear when their time will be.
It's abundandly obvious when their time will be. Listen to the winged wheel podcast episode about Seider signing if you want a good breakdown. The simplified version is that the team is 2-3 years away from being in a really excellent position. That's when enough bad contracts will be gone and enough young players should have grown into players.

Larkin isn't getting any younger and we still don't have anyone to replace him with, once his play drops down to a level where he should drop down to 2nd line or lower.
Larkin is 28, not 34. Even a pessimistic outlook of how he can age probably gives us 4-5 years to find a replacement. Not easy, but also nothing to panic about right now.

A problem throughout this discussion is that "just watch the guy play" isn't that compelling of an argument coming from biased observers. I think most have been willing to admit that Seider's analytics don't tell the whole story. But Red Wings fans insisting on their eye test (that so happens to confirm their priors) isn't really that helpful.

Most here seem happy to say this is a fair deal, myself included. But there are legitimate concerns about the player too.
It's tinfoil hat conspiracy nut stuff to claim everyone who watches him is biased. It's one step away from saying Big Eishockey is paying people to spread propaganda about Seider.

Every fanbase is biased, but fans are also generally the people who are most critical of their own team's players when it's warranted. There are reasons we debated for years whether Dylan Larkin was a #1C, but no such debates are happening with Seider.

As an aside to the analytical argument I always have to ask; do you truly believe Olli Määttä is one of the NHLs best d-men? And how is it possible Detroit wins any games when most of their roster has bad analytics?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad