Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Lot of rumors Jeannot is on the block. If it means Joey or Duchene also go, I'm on board.

Leaves Novak and Tommy in the lineup even if Fil comes back.
If we can get a team to buy that he's still something beyond the 20-25 point 4th liner he is, definitely take advantage of it. Trenin is a better overall player and the much-derided Cole Smith creates about as much offense but will cost less (and takes less penalties)--though I do think Jeannot's shooting % has severely overcorrected this season.

Reactions: cool beans

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Him at $5mil is a lot easier to fit in another team's cap space than Joey or Duchene at $8mil .. retaining just means dead cap for us and the team is already eating $2mil per season for years with Turris. If I were Poile I'd look for a defender in return to bolster the depth there and push Lauzon back to the 3rd pairing where he belongs. Chychrun would be a pipe dream ... but works money and term wise each way.
I know you keep saying "dead money" but in all honesty 8mil per season is still dead money, we're actually getting a cap savings if we retain 4 mil and ship off the 8 mil contract. Especially if we're going younger and a bunch of ELC deals, we don't have to worry about the dead money, we still save the owners 4 mil a year with that deal and return something of value to the team to top it off. So retaining is a good strategy, but only if you're planning on going young with ELC deals and moving on from your core in the long run.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
You can’t just look at points and where we are in the standings. This team has a tougher remaining schedule than the competition. The org also has insight into FF9. If he’s expected to be out for a decent amount of time then they will also take that into account. Expected future performance must be considered worse without him than with him, which simply looking at the past does not consider.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You can’t just look at points and where we are in the standings. This team has a tougher remaining schedule than the competition. The org also has insight into FF9. If he’s expected to be out for a decent amount of time then they will also take that into account. Expected future performance must be considered worse without him than with him, which simply looking at the past does not consider.
We're also the only team still "in the hunt" to have a negative goal differential, which is usually a fairly good indicator of whether a team is likely to make it into the post-season. Granted, this is less based on our GA, which is about solidly in the middle of the pack of teams fighting for playoff spots (apparently the Pacific Division doesn't play defense...like at all), but our woeful GF numbers (3rd worst in the conference)--again, something not indicative of a likely playoff spot.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think it's obvious, we're not going to be big sellers at this TDL no matter what. There's not much assets to sell and the ones you would get haul from are the ones you could reasonably keep.

The truth is that the players you would want to trade are far easier to trade in the summer than in-season (I'm talking about Granlund, Ekholm etc. the bigger-salaried players).

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think our best trade opportunity is to trade Jeannot if buyers expect to get last years Jeannot and this year is what Jeannot really is.

Trenin can also go. Might as well make room for a couple of the youngsters. But he wont fetch much in return.

Honestly if we cant get a first would just as soon see a "hockey trade"

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It still isn't enough to declare the team a seller on 2/19. Well, not if we use a century of hockey history as a guide. If the team chooses to go into full sell mode by 3/3 is undetermined.
Deals usually take time to work out. Especially in this cap environment. I dont think we can wait till last moment. There are better rentals out there and if you wait too long all the free cap will be used up

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
They hopefully at least have had the conversation with Jeannot's agent. You have to know what $$$ he's looking for. At $2M longer-term, or less, I would love to keep him around, because even if he's ultimately just a 4th line player, I think he brings intangibles and has value. It's still useful to have a decent player who lays the body consistently and can chip in even 10 goals, if that's his true niche, and even those players aren't so easy to find as people seem to think. But as his contract asking price climbs higher, it shaves away the advantages to keeping him. I wouldn't take less than a 1st round pick (or equivalent top prospect) for him in any circumstance, however.

And with Trenin, you have to be aware of his mindset wrt to staying with us, which Poile should be. If you think it's basically 100% certain that he's going to go UFA after next season, then trading him also becomes an option. But again, I wouldn't take anything less than a 1st for him. If you can't get that 1st, you can always wait until next year's deadline too, when he might have closer to those 17 goals again, especially heading into a UFA payday.

Also, the value of having a solid backup so that Saros is rested for the playoffs becomes nil if we aren't making the playoffs. Therefore, you also have to talk extension with Lankinen. If he's not ready to extend with us for 1 more year, then you trade him for whatever you can get, even if that's a 3rd round pick. It will give us a little bit of a crunch in net, but there should be somebody on waivers, or possibly some other team looking to clear Cap space with an aging goalie to dump (Dallas is paying to keep Khudobin buried in the AHL), such that we should be able to plug some warm body in as backup for free (or better yet get another pick to take that contract), without needing to pillage Milwaukee by taking Askarov away from them.

Trading Fabbro would be dumb in just about any circumstance IMO. Selling low on him doesn't make sense. We need him on RD. Once Hynes is gone, his value will go straight back up. A young #4 RD is something we don't have just laying around to replace him with.

I doubt we'd get any traction on moving Johansen, so I'll just save him for the summer buyout debate. We can try with Granlund, but I'm not willing to trade him at negative value either, so it's possible he can't be moved yet also.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Would trading Jeannot and Trenin be signaling that Hynes is on a hot seat? Poile would be dealing The Identity pieces, which would indicate that he might be moving on from building a team that can crush empty beer cans with its forehead as the blueprint, no?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Deals usually take time to work out. Especially in this cap environment. I dont think we can wait till last moment. There are better rentals out there and if you wait too long all the free cap will be used up
The deadline is on a Friday. That leaves this full week (through at least the Yotes game, if not the Pens) to monitor the gap between us, Calgary, and Minnesota while still leaving time to make a deal if necessary.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Would trading Jeannot and Trenin be signaling that Hynes is on a hot seat? Poile would be dealing The Identity pieces, which would indicate that he might be moving on from building a team that can crush empty beer cans with its forehead as the blueprint, no?
Mostly unrelated, but if we traded Jeannot it would also mean that 3 of the 8 skaters we protected for the expansion draft didn't even last 2 years with the club past that point. Meanwhile, Arvy (who I'll note I did support trading and am still mostly ok with that being the case) would be 3rd amongst our forwards in points and Jarnkrok (who everyone would still be lukewarm at best about) would be 5th while more or less putting up Johansen-level numbers. It's not a reason to trade or not trade him, but like a lot of our other moves doesn't speak well to the cohesiveness and quality of our long-term planning/assessment/vision.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Mostly unrelated, but if we traded Jeannot it would also mean that 3 of the 8 skaters we protected for the expansion draft didn't even last 2 years with the club past that point. Meanwhile, Arvy (who I'll note I did support trading and am still mostly ok with that being the case) would be 3rd amongst our forwards in points and Jarnkrok (who everyone would still be lukewarm at best about) would be 5th while more or less putting up Johansen-level numbers. It's not a reason to trade or not trade him, but like a lot of our other moves doesn't speak well to the cohesiveness and quality of our long-term planning/assessment/vision.
Arvy was a risk with his injury history, so it wasn't a bad move. Turned into L'Heureux and Kulonummi, I believe. We'll just have to see what that means.

The part that's looking more sketchy is, as you point out, the overall assessment and direction of the roster. Fabbro is no longer a top 4. Ek might be on the block if we go scorched earth. There is a great argument that Jeannot, as an older player from the start, should be traded if we can fleece someone for a rebuild.

It's getting hard to see how "All In With Hynes" wasn't a monumental blunder.

Reactions: SouthNash

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Arvy was a risk with his injury history, so it wasn't a bad move. Turned into L'Heureux and Kulonummi, I believe. We'll just have to see what that means.

The part that's looking more sketchy is, as you point out, the overall assessment and direction of the roster. Fabbro is no longer a top 4. Ek might be on the block if we go scorched earth. There is a great argument that Jeannot, as an older player from the start, should be traded if we can fleece someone for a rebuild.

It's getting hard to see how "All In With Hynes" wasn't a monumental blunder.
If the consistent murmurings (and how he's been used) are to be believed, Fabbro is also likely to go.

Agree on the bolded. In fact, even if he does become a 20 goal scorer for a couple of years (I think it's doubtful), it's a great value either way--take an overage, undrafted player, pump up his value, get assets back for it. Do the same with Smith if he has a "breakout" year next season. Do NOT sign these guys to 4-8 year extensions!

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
If the consistent murmurings (and how he's been used) are to be believed, Fabbro is also likely to go.

Agree on the bolded. In fact, even if he does become a 20 goal scorer for a couple of years (I think it's doubtful), it's a great value either way--take an overage, undrafted player, pump up his value, get assets back for it. Do the same with Smith if he has a "breakout" year next season. Do NOT sign these guys to 4-8 year extensions!
We're already bloated with long term contracts and we're not a contender. I know there is a chance we can still sneak in, but an honest assessment is that we're just a notch above the third of the NHL that isn't even trying to win. Throwing more 8 years extensions to chase poor results isn't going to help anything.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I wouldn't move both of Trenin and Jeannot, I feel like we need at least one of them. Given that Trenin went to arbitration and might be unlikely to stick with the team long-term, I think he's the one you let go - given that the price is high for him which I think it is.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I suspect Jeannot might get a better return even though I think Trenin is the better player. Hard to say though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad