Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Oilers got to make a move in order ro activate yamamoto. We gonna end up with poolparty for a jar of pickles.

Edit: nevermind looks like they already sent all sorts to the ahl. Oh well... id still take poolparty for free. He can be our new tolvanen

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm willing to give Jeannot another year/new coach. The problem is, I agree with 101 ... he is an arb case waiting to happen.
Not sure why we should be very scared of an arbitration case with Jeannot. He has 5 goals. It's easy to point to the unsustainable shooting pct if the subject of last year's goals comes up. If you get him on a 1- or 2-year contract, basically what Trenin got last summer, how is that a problem? It gives you that year or two to see where his happy medium is, and he'll be cheaper and easier to trade with no long-term contract attached, if that's the direction we end up preferring. I'd basically welcome arbitration with open arms in his case.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Not sure why we should be very scared of an arbitration case with Jeannot. He has 5 goals. It's easy to point to the unsustainable shooting pct if the subject of last year's goals comes up. If you get him on a 1- or 2-year contract, basically what Trenin got last summer, how is that a problem? It gives you that year or two to see where his happy medium is, and he'll be cheaper and easier to trade with no long-term contract attached, if that's the direction we end up preferring. I'd basically welcome arbitration with open arms in his case.

I was thinking more along the lines of souring the relationship, but I do agree with your comments.

Reactions: weeze

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Just surprises me the Ekholm would be the man out. Not gonna look good to guys that someone that just resigned long term got moved that quick.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
For the rest of the year, Ekholm's 50% hit would be 1,562,500. For 3 more yrs after it would be 3,125,000. BUT I expects teams would eat the whole thing. Ekholm himself would want retention. That portion would be covered under TN no income tax.

Let's say you trade him to Toronto. 1/2 of his salary would be TN, half would be Ontario. I ASSUME!!!!!!!!!!!! (with 3 yrs of accounting school, I hope I am right).

Which leads to a hypothetical: Player has a NTC. Would he waive it for TN tax benefits? (AKA play gets paid to waive.)

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
For the rest of the year, Ekholm's 50% hit would be 1,562,500. For 3 more yrs after it would be 3,125,000. BUT I expects teams would eat the whole thing. Ekholm himself would want retention. That portion would be covered under TN no income tax.

Let's say you trade him to Toronto. 1/2 of his salary would be TN, half would be Ontario. I ASSUME!!!!!!!!!!!! (with 3 yrs of accounting school, I hope I am right).

Which leads to a hypothetical: Player has a NTC. Would he waive it for TN tax benefits? (AKA play gets paid to waive.)
Residency comes into play and a player traded with retained salary would likely have to report that income to their new place of residence.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Just surprises me the Ekholm would be the man out. Not gonna look good to guys that someone that just resigned long term got moved that quick.
Josi - NMC
McDonagh - NTC

Only aging dman with a big contract and no trade protection, makes perfect sense for him to be odd man out. Crappy considering he just got extended but makes sense.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Seems like the Preds have a string of games against bottom feeders at the absolute wrong time for trade deadline activity.

Canucks > Sharks > Coyotes

The schedule March 18th on is terrible. One of the toughest stretches I can remember.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I’d expect Sherwood to get the call up but if the season is washed, I’d prefer to see where Evanelista is at with his game against NHL level players.

Seems like the Preds have a string of games against bottom feeders at the absolute wrong time for trade deadline activity.

Canucks > Sharks > Coyotes

The schedule March 18th on is terrible. One of the toughest stretches I can remember.
This stretch of games remaining before the TDL should have no bearing on what the team should do. That decision should have already been clear.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I’d expect Sherwood to get the call up but if the season is washed, I’d prefer to see where Evanelista is at with his game against NHL level players.

This stretch of games remaining before the TDL should have no bearing on what the team should do. That decision should have already been clear.

It would be clear if they weren't sitting only 2-3 points beyond what the points in hand could potentially cover from a WC1. They aren't clearly back far enough to call it a season ... they aren't in .... they don't have pending UFAs to ship out as rentals ... it is the least clear situation a team can sit in 10 1/2 days before the trade deadline.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I guess I'm not terribly concerned about the deadline itself. There's nobody Poile needs to get assets for since we don't really have expiring contracts. If someone offers a great deal I hope he takes it but everything can get pushed to the offseason if need be.
Exact perspective I share. There isn't some pending UFA who is walking for nothing. If somebody doesn't offer a good price you just play it out and try again in the off season or next year.

I would still prefer to see playoff hockey. I don't think a swing of a 2 or 3 picks in the draft order changes much. I can't see us losing that many to change our position a considerable amount. If we are going to straddle the line I would rather be on the slightly better side of making the playoffs and getting to watch my team play longer.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Losing more moves us up but also increases ping pong ball odds.

Anyway, Nino is a potential trade candidate that could fetch value. No one else really unless Poile goes nuts and moves Ek I guess.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
It would be clear if they weren't sitting only 2-3 points beyond what the points in hand could potentially cover from a WC1. They aren't clearly back far enough to call it a season ... they aren't in .... they don't have pending UFAs to ship out as rentals ... it is the least clear situation a team can sit in 10 1/2 days before the trade deadline.
You and I have two very differing opinions about this team.

Mathematically, yes they still have a prayer to get into the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad