Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
There is an entire hockey business subset built on peddling trade rumors (e2). What is lacking from most trade stories is the level of detail to gain a glimpse of what is really going on. Is it a GM calling to offer a player, him responding to an inquiry, or a series of stories relayed through a grapevine? Year after year we hear Ekholm’s name on trade rumor blogs … this year we get a little bit of Fabbro and Jeannot tossed into the mix … but with no clue who, if anyone, is initiating the talk.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think if we sign him long term and let trenin walk we’ll likely regret it. Trenin is the better player imo.
I would keep both. But in Trenin's case there isn't a "let Trenin walk" option that we would allow to happen... he's going to be a UFA after next season, so if he doesn't want to extend with us by February 2024, then we will have to trade him, unfortunately. And I might just be fatalistic enough now to assume that will happen. Fine, so be it. I will enjoy watching him next season up to that point, though, because I think all parties will have every motivation to see him put up good numbers --- him to get PAID, us to get a fantastic Trade Deadline return on a guy who other teams will covet with only a $1.7M salary to manage. Something to look forward to next year!

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
I would keep both. But in Trenin's case there isn't a "let Trenin walk" option that we would allow to happen... he's going to be a UFA after next season, so if he doesn't want to extend with us by February 2024, then we will have to trade him, unfortunately. And I might just be fatalistic enough now to assume that will happen. Fine, so be it. I will enjoy watching him next season up to that point, though, because I think all parties will have every motivation to see him put up good numbers --- him to get PAID, us to get a fantastic Trade Deadline return on a guy who other teams will covet with only a $1.7M salary to manage. Something to look forward to next year!
Yeah I would definitely keep both too but something tells me that might not happen. Also with his past contract troubles with the organization I feel he’s not gonna want to do us any favors. Hope I’m wrong though. He’s a favorite of mine and a great player in tough games. Underrated for sure.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
It's also possible they're "starting up extension talks" with Jeannot partially to get a feel for whether it's worth even negotiating or better to deal him now.

Or they could be leaking negotiation talks to the press to drive up interest and asking price.

World of possibilities.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Just surprises me the Ekholm would be the man out. Not gonna look good to guys that someone that just resigned long term got moved that quick.
Unless Ekholm has done a quiet Erat... he may see the writing on the wall and not want to spend his prime in a rebuild

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
SO....You get the miracle 2 1sts. Do you flip all 3 for the Bedard lotto ball? Our low teen and upper 20 this year and upper 20 next year

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Who is you? Forgive me, I am not sure which team you speak of?
It doesn't matter, a team isn't going to pass on potentially the next McDavid no matter how many 1sts are offered.

With Joey on LTIR, we should trade cap space for contenders. Sell cap space for picks
Can only work with expirings though, since we'll only have the space for the rest of this season. Maybe we'll get a pick or something for taking back Craig Smith. :laugh:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Boro is a Shea Weber contract right now. As much as it sucks about Johansen, the contract is most likely insured and he's going to be LTIRed. Currently, he has 2.2 million this yr left. Because of the nature of his injury, it could be 6 months, or career. He might become one of the biggest cap contracts out there. 2.2 million this yr. 8 million next, and 8 million next.

Weber's contract is only 7.8 mil for 4 yrs, Johansen, if he's done. (I do not wish that on him. I want him to come back and say 'FU haters!')

Everyone who rails on the 8 million dollar players should be doing cartwheels.

Reactions: LCPreds

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Boro is a Shea Weber contract right now. As much as it sucks about Johansen, the contract is most likely insured and he's going to be LTIRed. Currently, he has 2.2 million this yr left. Because of the nature of his injury, it could be 6 months, or career. He might become one of the biggest cap contracts out there. 2.2 million this yr. 8 million next, and 8 million next.

Weber's contract is only 7.8 mil for 4 yrs, Johansen, if he's done. (I do not wish that on him. I want him to come back and say 'FU haters!')

Everyone who rails on the 8 million dollar players should be doing cartwheels.
I dont think anyone really hates joey.... i just think he makes more than his current play is worth. If he played out the rest of his career like last season (or most seasons pre-hynes), id be perfectly content with him.
Unless Ekholm has done a quiet Erat... he may see the writing on the wall and not want to spend his prime in a rebuild
Hes the only dman over 32 and making over 3 million without trade protection. Josi and McDonagh get to say if and where they move. Ekholm doesnt. His contract is the easiest to move if you want to move a dman with term and large contract.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I dont think anyone really hates joey.... i just think he makes more than his current play is worth. If he played out the rest of his career like last season (or most seasons pre-hynes), id be perfectly content with him.

Hes the only dman over 32 and making over 3 million without trade protection. Josi and McDonagh get to say if and where they move. Ekholm doesnt. His contract is the easiest to move if you want to move a dman with term and large contract.
Except for last season where it seems every Pred had the season of their lives, which Pred has lived up to his contract except for Josi and Juuse. The last 4 years or so it seems we have more players getting paid to play sub-par hockey. Josi and Peka/Juuse seem to be the only ones who have actually earned there contract each year.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Except for last season where it seems every Pred had the season of their lives, which Pred has lived up to his contract except for Josi and Juuse. The last 4 years or so it seems we have more players getting paid to play sub-par hockey. Josi and Peka/Juuse seem to be the only ones who have actually earned there contract each year.
I guess it depends on expectations. If you expect more like last seasons production, you will likely be in for a bad time. Duchene and forsberg are historically 20-30G players with smatterings of doing better throughout their careers.

Duchene has always been iffy defensively. His overall goal scoring and assist production for his 4 years here is on par with his career numbers up to the point of signing. I cant say anything in relation to hia play away from the puck since i sont really know where to look but hes only had 1 season here where he dramatically underperformed career norm production.

Forsberg got paid after a career year. That will likely always be some form of overpay.

Granny.... dude has a career shooting % around 10-11% but for whatever reason has shot half as much in Nashville as he did MIN. If he would just shoot the puck like he did before we got him, his goal production could nearly double. Unfortunately, hes shooting less than ever.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Whaaaaat? Information from the Preds about an injury? :oops:

Anyway, conclusively out for the rest of the regular season. Possibly still clearable in time for a buyout. But even while I never truly expected the Preds to consider a buyout anyway, I really don't see them doing it now with him coming off a majory injury, it just wouldn't be "classy".

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Wonder if we'll ever actually know or if it'll be like Ellis's knee injury where they never actually announce it. FWIW I looked back and the initial timetable of recovery for Karlsson's Achille's injury was 3-4 months and he came back in 10 weeks so the timetable would line up with that. Karlsson recovered well but he was also only 22 when it happened too.

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Wonder if we'll ever actually know or if it'll be like Ellis's knee injury where they never actually announce it. FWIW I looked back and the initial timetable of recovery for Karlsson's Achille's injury was 3-4 months and he came back in 10 weeks so the timetable would line up with that. Karlsson recovered well but he was also only 22 when it happened too.
Feels like Pacioretty missed more time than that? 6 months? I'm sure there are a range of things that can happen, though, from "lacerated" to "severed" and collateral damage around it that can complicate things, probably.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Feels like Pacioretty missed more time than that? 6 months? I'm sure there are a range of things that can happen, though, from "lacerated" to "severed" and collateral damage around it that can complicate things, probably.
Looks like 4 months for him to come back on a 6 month estimated timeline, but then he also retore it almost immediately. Who knows though could be a completely different injury too.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
A 'partial' cut would be 12 weeks and sounds like what Johansen has. For a 'full' cut it would be 4-6 months. He's still LTIR bait.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
They were talking on the radio this morning said this could be "career altering."

I wonder what actually happened.
They said in the Radio earlier this morning that it was Hughes skate that cut him deep enough to warrant surgery to repair stuff. The extent of the damage and injury isn’t being reported but they are estimating a Long recovery process and one he may never come back from. He might be done from hockey if the surgery doesn’t go well. LTIR until retirement is possible here

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
They said in the Radio earlier this morning that it was Hughes skate that cut him deep enough to warrant surgery to repair stuff. The extent of the damage and injury isn’t being reported but they are estimating a Long recovery process and one he may never come back from. He might be done from hockey if the surgery doesn’t go well. LTIR until retirement is possible here
Damn, that's awful. I don't wish that on any athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad