Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
link or recording?
I am assuming radio since he has been on 102.5 in the afternoons this week, but I see nothing reported anywhere online. That would be a very surprising request based on him just settling down here with his family, but I suppose it's not that hard to move when you have signed almost 50 million in contract guarantees.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I am assuming radio since he has been on 102.5 in the afternoons this week, but I see nothing reported anywhere online. That would be a very surprising request based on him just settling down here with his family, but I suppose it's not that hard to move when you have signed almost 50 million in contract guarantees.

I will assume nothing till I see proof. I have been jumping on speculation too much

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
The only player that I would think “needs” to be moved at the TDL instead of waiting until the offseason would be Duchene if Poile is looking to move him. Duchene’s MNTC kicks in after this season and complicates his ability to be traded. I know his contract is undesirable for other teams especially with the term left on it. The likelihood that Duchene gets dealt is slim to none, but he is definitely the one that would need to moved before the offseason if he is going to be moved.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Would Nashville take a 1st, 2nd and B Prospect for Saros?
No. But check back with us in 2 yrs when Saros' deal is expiring if you like. If Askarov is coming along well enough and we're rebuilding at that time, then that sort of scenario could make more sense.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Even if McDonagh did ask to be traded, I highly doubt we could move him. He came to us at negative value already, the Bolts took a washed out Myers and a dead contract slot in Mismash for him because nobody else wanted him. If he did want to move on from us, one assumes it would be because he misses the grand old days of Stanley Cups a la Tampa. But no contender will take him at full price, that's for sure... the only way to move him at all would be as a dump to some floor-seeking team like Arizona, but even then we'd have to give up heavy draft picks because he is still owed over $20M. So uh, sorry, no dice on this one. He's a rock back there. As in, an unmovable one.

Could he recapture slight positive value to a contender if we retained say the full 50% of his contract? Maybe. But we're going to sit on $3.375M of dead Cap for 3 more years just to accommodate his request and garner something like a 3rd round pick? No, I don't think so.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I mean, I would consider a 1st but "a 1st" especially this year is such a broad range. If we had a real shot at lottery picks then we should absolutely consider a 1st in my opinion...but that isn't the case here and an extra pick at 18 doesn't really do anything for us. It is also what we could sell Saros for when his deal is closer to expiring and we have a better feel for "who is next". It would be the ultimate move for the sake of making a move trade.

Even if McDonagh did ask to be traded, I highly doubt we could move him. He came to us at negative value already, the Bolts took a washed out Myers and a dead contract slot in Mismash for him because nobody else wanted him. If he did want to move on from us, one assumes it would be because he misses the grand old days of Stanley Cups a la Tampa. But no contender will take him at full price, that's for sure... the only way to move him at all would be as a dump to some floor-seeking team like Arizona, but even then we'd have to give up heavy draft picks because he is still owed over $20M. So uh, sorry, no dice on this one. He's a rock back there. As in, an unmovable one.

Could he recapture slight positive value to a contender if we retained say the full 50% of his contract? Maybe. But we're going to sit on $3.375M of dead Cap for 3 more years just to accommodate his request and garner something like a 3rd round pick? No, I don't think so.
yeah, I don't think this makes any sense from any perspective

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If McDonagh wanted to be traded and we could trade him for actual value, id be fine with that. Him and josi have done well together for the most part but he having 3 lhd combined for 17M in cap is a bit excessive.

Edmonton has been at our last two games and they certainly need a strong dman that can help nurse out.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If he did request a trade I could see Poule trying to accommodate him but he's not going to do so at the expense of the owners that's for sure.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If McDonagh wanted to be traded and we could trade him for actual value, id be fine with that. Him and josi have done well together for the most part but he having 3 lhd combined for 17M in cap is a bit excessive.

Edmonton has been at our last two games and they certainly need a strong dman that can help nurse out.
There are two teams in Canada that need LHD: Toronto (Muzzin out for season) and Edmonton.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

I wonder if the Boston deal will end up squashing any hopes of that. I think Gavrikov is pretty widely underrated, if I was Edmonton's GM I'd be all over him, but that would leave us out. If we were even going to be involved anyway, which I still doubt. But to me, Edmonton really should be going All-In with everything they've got. They have to find ways of convincing McDavid and Draisatl to stick around, they are running out of time. Edmonton fans don't seem to agree with this, though, which I don't understand. They think those guys will just stay with them forever, no matter what. But what they really need is good, strong, dependable, consistent defensive players. Which Gavrikov and Ekholm exemplify IMHO.

They only have 2 more years of Draisatl and 3 more of McDavid. And they already complain about those two making a combined $20M. If they really think those guys are going to stick around, they better start thinking about them making more like a combined $35M instead on their next contracts. They are BOTH significantly underpaid atm! :oops: So winning now should be essential.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I wonder if the Boston deal will end up squashing any hopes of that. I think Gavrikov is pretty widely underrated, if I was Edmonton's GM I'd be all over him, but that would leave us out. If we were even going to be involved anyway, which I still doubt. But to me, Edmonton really should be going All-In with everything they've got. They have to find ways of convincing McDavid and Draisatl to stick around, they are running out of time. Edmonton fans don't seem to agree with this, though, which I don't understand. They think those guys will just stay with them forever, no matter what. But what they really need is good, strong, dependable, consistent defensive players. Which Gavrikov and Ekholm exemplify IMHO.

They only have 2 more years of Draisatl and 3 more of McDavid. And they already complain about those two making a combined $20M. If they really think those guys are going to stick around, they better start thinking about them making more like a combined $35M instead on their next contracts. They are BOTH significantly underpaid atm! :oops: So winning now should be essential.
I could see them convincing themselves to stay if they were really close or did manage to get one but otherwise I agree that I think Edmonton fans are living in delusion if they think those two won't be gone when the time comes. If everyone else in the hockey world knows their franchise is horribly mismanaged they do too.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

Did no one else want him or could no one afford the cap hit? These are two different things. In the right situation, the guy is a great pickup. A team needing a guy who is strong on the PK and is just a smart veteran player would be a great pick up. I can think of a few places where he makes the team he's going to a whole better come playoff time.

As far as getting a third team involved, I don't think it would be hard to do, as we've seen this a lot lately.

If I'm trying to move someone, I move Ekholm before him because I think the wheels are starting to come off that bus. I think he's harder to move because he doesn't have the playoff pedigree that McD has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad