Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You guys talking about trading Saros now are silly. We really cant do that until we know for absolute sure that Askarov is the real deal. Otherwise we could be looking at a decade of bottom feeder status.

And if you do trade him, you dont trade him at the deadline where the picks you get will be in the teens or worse. You trade him to a shitty team who needs a really good goalie and is willing to part with a top 5 pick for one.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You guys talking about trading Saros now are silly. We really cant do that until we know for absolute sure that Askarov is the real deal. Otherwise we could be looking at a decade of bottom feeder status.

And if you do trade him, you dont trade him at the deadline where the picks you get will be in the teens or worse. You trade him to a shitty team who needs a really good goalie and is willing to part with a top 5 pick for one.
For me it would need to be such a good offer you would be stupid to say no. These offers of a late first plus some decent prospect aren't worth the headache of not having him.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I’d argue Saros has been the second best goalie in the league after Vasilevsky since he took over the starte. Other goalies have had better individual seasons but Saros has been consistently top 5 every year. From that perspective it has to start with a can’t miss young player coming back. Like someone already established as an NHLer that but maybe has another gear (like Fiala when we traded him). Then you need a couple other picks and lower prospects. If that’s not the market for him then you keep him.

Like V82 we’re still at least a year away from seriously being able to consider trading Saros. We need to see that Askarov actually has what it takes to even be a mid level starter before we could afford to move Saros.

Last edited:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

What shitty team is gonna give you a top 5 pick for saros? That pretty silly to think that.
Is it that silly to think that fans are sick of being a mediocre team that has no chance at the cup and would like their team go in a different direction and sell any player of value. Saros’s value is the highest it’s gonna be right now. He’s on a killer contract for 2 more years. If buffalo a team that is probably a goalie away from being a true contender came with a 1st savioe (a top 10 pick from last year) and a dump to make the cap work you have to do it. Or if you want a defenseman back you call la or Edmonton. I root for my sport teams to win a championship not to just make the playoffs. If we were a team that looked like a team that could turn it on in the playoffs once we got in then I would be where you are but this core has shown us over and over that it doesn’t have what it takes anymore so it’s time to sell anyone that has value or we will continue to be a mediocre team

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
What shitty team is gonna give you a top 5 pick for saros? That pretty silly to think that.
Is it that silly to think that fans are sick of being a mediocre team that has no chance at the cup and would like their team go in a different direction and sell any player of value. Saros’s value is the highest it’s gonna be right now. He’s on a killer contract for 2 more years. If buffalo a team that is probably a goalie away from being a true contender came with a 1st savioe (a top 10 pick from last year) and a dump to make the cap work you have to do it. Or if you want a defenseman back you call la or Edmonton. I root for my sport teams to win a championship not to just make the playoffs. If we were a team that looked like a team that could turn it on in the playoffs once we got in then I would be where you are but this core has shown us over and over that it doesn’t have what it takes anymore so it’s time to sell anyone that has value or we will continue to be a mediocre team
Tell me what team sold off its best players and then became a champion, then tell me how long it took..

Then tell me how Tampa, Boston and St Louis built their team

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tell me what team sold off its best players and then became a champion, then tell me how long it took..

Tampa - several high 1st between 2008 and 2013 which includes stamkos, hedman, and drouin (who is turned into sergachev). Then good drafting in the early rounds, vasi - mid 1st, kucherov - 2nd, point - 3rd. Some savy trades in there as well.

Reactions: Dadof5boys

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Boston bruins traded kessel to Toronto at 21 years old after just scoring 36 goals and won the cup 3 years later. Boston has a got the most out of their draft picks and has had gms that builds a competitive team year in and year out.
Tampa- see above.
St. Louis rode a hot goalie kinda like we did on our cup run with rinne.
All these teams had built their team through the draft, something we haven’t did. Our best drafted forwards have been players that we traded. Our best forwards as of late have been players we signed or traded for.
This core we have need a major overhaul it isn’t competing for a cup

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I didn’t say not build through the draft you have too. That’s why Boston is good not because they traded Kessell 15 years ago. You can still have good drafts without selling off all your good players.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I mean, if you get a Bergeron in the 2nd round, a Marchand in the 3rd round, and a Pastrnak at #25, you have won the lottery. It's almost not even astute drafting at that point - it might be, but more likely you just got lucky.

Pretty much the same with Tampa for Point, Kucherov, and Vasilevskiy.

How nice it would be to win the lottery. I dream of that everytime Powerball goes insane. Still waiting...

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I mean, if you get a Bergeron in the 2nd round, a Marchand in the 3rd round, and a Pastrnak at #25, you have won the lottery. It's almost not even astute drafting at that point - it might be, but more likely you just got lucky.

Pretty much the same with Tampa for Point, Kucherov, and Vasilevskiy.

How nice it would be to win the lottery. I dream of that everytime Powerball goes insane. Still waiting...
Or could it be that their scouts and gm is a lot better at drafting?

I didn’t say not build through the draft you have too. That’s why Boston is good not because they traded Kessell 15 years ago. You can still have good drafts without selling off all your good players.
But have we? When was the last draft where you was like man Poile killed it

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Or could it be that their scouts and gm is a lot better at drafting?
I doubt it. There are so many of these guys every year. Somebody inevitably wins the lottery. If they REALLY thought those guys were going to be THAT good, then they would have picked them even earlier, right? Those are top-10 caliber players. If your scouts are that smart, you don't even let somebody else get the chance to take them, but everybody else had a chance. If you win the lottery 3X, yep, you go on to become a contender. Congrats. But I bet it's not your scouts that did it, you just got lucky.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I doubt it. There are so many of these guys every year. Somebody inevitably wins the lottery. If they REALLY thought those guys were going to be THAT good, then they would have picked them even earlier, right? Those are top-10 caliber players. If your scouts are that smart, you don't even let somebody else get the chance to take them, but everybody else had a chance. If you win the lottery 3X, yep, you go on to become a contender. Congrats. But I bet it's not your scouts that did it, you just got lucky.
Well did Poile get lucky drafting josi Weber Ellis and Ekholm? I don’t think so I think Poile and his scouts are really good drafting defenseman. Well at least they was. Just like some gms and their scouts are good at drafting forwards

Reactions: Dadof5boys

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well did Poile get lucky drafting josi Weber Ellis and Ekholm? I don’t think so I think Poile and his scouts are really good drafting defenseman. Well at least they was. Just like some gms and their scouts are good at drafting forwards
He got lucky drafting Arvidsson, Rinne, Saros, some others too. Everybody gets lucky sometimes. We got Josi and Weber with a ton of luck. It's great when you get it. But of course there are a bunch of other things you need at the same time, though. We've had hits and misses. It's probably just a fluke we hit more on D than F.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
He got lucky drafting Arvidsson, Rinne, Saros, some others too. Everybody gets lucky sometimes. We got Josi and Weber with a ton of luck. It's great when you get it. But of course there are a bunch of other things you need at the same time, though. We've had hits and misses. It's probably just a fluke we hit more on D than F.
Hmmm well hell anyone can be a gm then if it’s all luck then. I disagree by the way. But it’s your prerogative to believe that

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Hmmm well hell anyone can be a gm then if it’s all luck then. I disagree by the way. But it’s your prerogative to believe that
I dunno, I've been doing drafts for over 30 years, and whether I put a ton of effort into scouting, or don't, I get about the same results, and a big differentiator is just the sheer number of picks I have vs. whether I'm good/active at scouting or not. Granted, I'm not in control of development in fantasy drafts the same way as real NHL teams are. But "luck" truly is a very significant factor. It's not "all luck"... not ALL... you can't split things that black and white... but luck is a bigger component of things than you might think. My prerogative, agreed. I don't hold my NHL team to a higher standard, anyway. Once you really sit down and wade through it for a loooong time, it's almost depressing how little amateur scouting matters. :(

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Drafting is only a small part of the overall development of the player. I don't think the Preds manage or develop their prospects after the draft all that well, which is a major reason the success rate with forwards have been so stingy.

There's a lot we could do better in the developmental sector, only drafting talent doesn't get you anywhere (well, unless you're a McDavid-level talent).

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Drafting is only a small part of the overall development of the player. I don't think the Preds manage or develop their prospects after the draft all that well, which is a major reason the success rate with forwards have been so stingy.

There's a lot we could do better in the developmental sector, only drafting talent doesn't get you anywhere (well, unless you're a McDavid-level talent).
Although... the right development only helps "sometimes"... mostly in taking a marginal guy into a depth guy... I don't think you ever truly develop a marginal guy into an elite guy. That's the player himself. Players mature at different ages, and they have to find that "spark" within themselves that really determines what they are going to become... in life, also in hockey.

Can you scout for that "spark"? Sometimes, but, that's also a hit or miss thing when you are talking about guys 17-18 years old.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Has there been any chatter about the future of Ryan McDonagh? Kind of curious if he would go out the door in a retool since the Preds got him so cheap from T-Bay, but haven't heard anything with his name attached. Seems like a semi-hockey trade would be doable, aka Nashville gets a better personnel return than you paid that wasn't pure dump, but Nashville kicks in retention to make it a more manageable contract.

Reactions: FSL KINGS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad