Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’m relieved that it’s likely Anderson the Flyers are scouting as opposed to wasting assets on guys who will be UFAs after the season like Stone & Duchene. Makes more sense. Anderson would be a nice insurance policy to pair with Hart, even though I think his days of being a top starter are over.

Forget a first round pick for him, though. That price will come down. A mid-round pick and a middling prospect, maybe.
I was thinking the same. Not trading for stone is a good idea. Makes sense why they are scouting the phantoms I guess. I’d trade a 4th for Anderson max.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
giphy.gif

GET IN THERE AND SELL! SELL! SELL!

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
More seriously, we have lots of prospects that we need to evaluate and no realistic path the post-season. That means:
1. Move out all the UFAs and anyone who is not part of the future (Amac!!!)
2. DO NOT bring back anyone who will prevent that unless they are major upgrades (which we wont get in return for our UFAs/castoffs)
3. Sit roster players that are part of the future as necessary to open up ice time for the kids who need to be evaluated - Morin, Myers, Pimp, NAK, Ruby, Ratliffe, Kase, Bunny

Then, proven and DISPROVEN prospects, you make decisions about next year. And use the assets accumulated in step one - and perhaps some of the proven prospects for which we lack roster space - you wheel and deal at the draft. The added bonus of improved drafting position is nice but secondary to finding out whether our deep prospect pool is really fool's gold.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trading Ghost or Voracek isn't about "they're awful, get rid of them," it's about imbalance and what the team should look like going forward. When a team is this bad, few players should be considered untouchable (G, Couts, Patrick, Lindblom, TK, Provorov, Sanheim). Everyone else should be open for offers, but no one should be given away (well, Weise of course . . . )

Voracek isn't a great fit on a team that lacks shooters and scorers, so I'd keep JVR over him because JVR is a better scorer and will go to the net, something we lack. It's not whether Voracek is a good player, it's whether going forward the value you'd obtain in a trade (even if it's primarily draft picks, the player(s) you'd get for those picks come June) and the cap room would help the team win more than the player. And whether you trade him now, in June or never comes down to what you're offered.

The reason you'd listen to offers for Ghost is imbalance, this may not be the best time to move him coming off a down year, but when Morin returns, we'll have 5 LHDs and 1 RHD (Folin, MacDonald don't count). We've seen Sanheim and Hagg both look awkward on the right side, and the same holds for Morin. Ghost is the best LHD on the right side, but is that optimal? And if you move Sanheim back to the left side, who do you pair Ghost with, while Provorov - Ghost looked good the second half of last season, not in the playoffs or beginning this season - if they don't work out then what?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
More seriously, we have lots of prospects that we need to evaluate and no realistic path the post-season. That means:
2. DO NOT bring back anyone who will prevent that unless they are major upgrades (which we wont get in return for our UFAs/castoffs)
3. Sit roster players that are part of the future as necessary to open up ice time for the kids who need to be evaluated - Morin, Myers, Pimp, NAK, Ruby, Ratliffe, Kase, Bunny

Then, proven and DISPROVEN prospects, you make decisions about next year. And use the assets accumulated in step one - and perhaps some of the proven prospects for which we lack roster space - you wheel and deal at the draft. The added bonus of improved drafting position is nice but secondary to finding out whether our deep prospect pool is really fool's gold.

Preach. I have been on this soapbox for years, too.

TatteredCautiousCentipede-size_restricted.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

There's one reason this doesn't work, the worst way to evaluate prospects is to throw them together with a bunch of other prospects and let them flounder together. Ideally, you want to gradually work them in the roles they'd actually fill next season. So just throwing them into the lineup willy nilly probably will tell you less than you'd learn from the Calder Cup playoffs.

Morin - Myers might be worth a look-see, only because Morin - Gudas isn't an optimal pairing, but you might well want to see Provorov or Ghost paired with Myers. Friedman with ???

Bunnaman and Vorobyev are marginal right now, you can try them on the 4th line but with whom? If you move Raffl, and Laughton stays on the 3rd line with Patrick, then Bailey/Lehtera - Vorobyev - NAK?

Ratcliffe would be better off with the Phantoms in the Calder Cup playoffs, same with Frost.
In fact, that's the strongest argument NOT to promote a lot of players, you want the Phantoms to make the playoffs so you have to opportunity to look at some junior/college players in that environment at the end of the season.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Trading Ghost or Voracek isn't about "they're awful, get rid of them," it's about imbalance and what the team should look like going forward. When a team is this bad, few players should be considered untouchable (G, Couts, Patrick, Lindblom, TK, Provorov, Sanheim). Everyone else should be open for offers, but no one should be given away (well, Weise of course . . . )

Voracek isn't a great fit on a team that lacks shooters and scorers, so I'd keep JVR over him because JVR is a better scorer and will go to the net, something we lack. It's not whether Voracek is a good player, it's whether going forward the value you'd obtain in a trade (even if it's primarily draft picks, the player(s) you'd get for those picks come June) and the cap room would help the team win more than the player. And whether you trade him now, in June or never comes down to what you're offered.

The reason you'd listen to offers for Ghost is imbalance, this may not be the best time to move him coming off a down year, but when Morin returns, we'll have 5 LHDs and 1 RHD (Folin, MacDonald don't count). We've seen Sanheim and Hagg both look awkward on the right side, and the same holds for Morin. Ghost is the best LHD on the right side, but is that optimal? And if you move Sanheim back to the left side, who do you pair Ghost with, while Provorov - Ghost looked good the second half of last season, not in the playoffs or beginning this season - if they don't work out then what?

I agree. It’s all about the return.
Owen Nolan wasn’t traded by the Avs because he was a bad player. He was a perennial AllStar.
Avs needed a puck moving dman and had to pay the price. I am not saying trade Ghost because he has blemishes. If you can fill a need and the team feels the drop off from Sanheim and Myers can cover some or most of the loss then it makes sense. It would have to be a hell of a return considering his talent and contract but no one should be untouchable.

Reactions: Insurrection

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Maybe people don't have short memories, rather just selective ones.

I remember it. I think it was around the time that the rest of the team turned it on and started winning, so people didn't notice. Provy was struggling hard for maybe 3 weeks, sometime around mid-January to Feb or so.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I remember it. I think it was around the time that the rest of the team turned it on and started winning, so people didn't notice. Provy was struggling hard for maybe 3 weeks, sometime around mid-January to Feb or so.
Could be those 25 minutes a night Jeff had him play.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe Fletch will retain salary to dump JVR at the deadline since he was such a terrible signing. That would make space to re-sign Simmonds.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Maybe Fletch will retain salary to dump JVR at the deadline since he was such a terrible signing. That would make space to re-sign Simmonds.
Fletcher is kind of a guy who was bridging players like dumba and zucker so he could throw money at the likes of vanek. Something tells me that jvr deal is right up his alley.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Owen Nolan wasn’t traded by the Avs because he was a bad player. He was a perennial AllStar.
Avs needed a puck moving dman and had to pay the price. I am not saying trade Ghost because he has blemishes. If you can fill a need and the team feels the drop off from Sanheim and Myers can cover some or most of the loss then it makes sense. It would have to be a hell of a return considering his talent and contract but no one should be untouchable.

some people don't understand the concept of a mutually beneficial deal.

Because you're willing to trade a player doesn't mean you think they "Suck". Sometimes you need to give up a valuable piece to improve the team.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
It's a double edged sword because some people on the other hand are unable to understand that: some simply see the likelihood of a trade that would offset what Ghost for example brings to the table as too low to actually happen. It's not necessarily "I like him and you say he sucks" either. But this concept is probably also too advanced.

Let's just label and put words in other's mouths. It's fun.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
We got a winner here posters. Read carefully and learn from it LOL. You trade from strengh and ghost Isnt playing bad hes just what he is now a smaller slower player that all forecheckers are going after and he has a tough time and Sanheim,Provy and Myers along with the dman we get back will make us way better . Playoffs is what matters and win or lose we have alot of high priced no shows and that isnt changing.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
It's a double edged sword because some people on the other hand are unable to understand that: some simply see the likelihood of a trade that would offset what Ghost for example brings to the table as too low to actually happen. It's not necessarily "I like him and you say he sucks" either. But this concept is probably also too advanced.

Let's just label and put words in other's mouths. It's fun.
Fletcher gave away leddy and burns for Cam Barker, Setoguchi, Coyle and first rounder he opted to choose on someone named Zach Phillips. Something tells me I would hate the return on Ghost.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Fletcher gave away leddy and burns for Cam Barker, Setoguchi, Coyle and first rounder he opted to choose on someone named Zach Phillips. Something tells me I would hate the return on Ghost.

I think he should just stick with two big UFA signings. That was a good move. 2/3 of Panarin, Stone, EK. In that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad