Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really couldn’t have proved my point about there being two kind of fans any better than it was just proved for me.

No logical fan wants to move this player.

Norris voting? :laugh: Yikes

Some “fans” are just ultra-biased against the guy. It’s crazy.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
My biggest problem with how they seem to be going forward WRT Provorov is the idea that he needs a "steady" stereotype next to him. That's what he is in an ideal world.

Hopefully there's a bit lost in translation and the seek does not fit the trope. That's a perfectly reasonable possibility, so I'll wait to reserve judgment.

Last edited:

Dooblus Dooizfour

Nov 5, 2016
Not if he goes back to normal next year. If you don't think this year is a fluke, then I guess it can be compensated for, but there's no way this is going to continue and when he's playing like himself he's one of the best offensive defensemen in the entire league.

In his previous three years (his entire career, outside of this half season) he's 7th in defensemen P/GP for guys with over 200 games played... which includes the years that he had the same injury/surgery/recovery that Giroux had. Look at the only names above him...

9efcbd439487e686b43b176e4f8f0792.png

Then for PP scoring... nobody compares... (notice games played)

0e6cefc0b9ad48882639a5248cd23302.png

So, not only do we have no defensemen who can step in and replace his scoring right now, but even if we assume Sanheim or Myers can get close, there's absolutely no reason we can't keep all three.

Keeping him is the only logical choice here. He's just too good and too valuable. No realistic trade that involves him leaving makes this team better.
But what if we added Trouba? Just throwing this name out there but even with his likely contract demands he Sanheim and Myers would be as good as or better than Ghost Sanheim and Myers. The big plus is he’s a right hand shot and a bigger body that would look real good next to Provy for the next decade

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But what if we added Trouba? Just throwing this name out there but even with his likely contract demands he Sanheim and Myers would be as good as or better than Ghost Sanheim and Myers. The big plus is he’s a right hand shot and a bigger body that would look real good next to Provy for the next decade
Size doesn't matter. Winning games is what matters and scoring is how you do that.

We don't need to add a more expensive defensemen, who is far worse offensively, just because he's bigger.

This mentality that so many have, where bigger is better and defense is better than offense, is a big reason why so many GMs get into trouble. It's outdated thinking that doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
interesting commentary on this board.

People are bashing Fletcher for not making an NHL 2019 trade 6 weeks into his tenure.... nevermind the fact that no noteworthy NHL trades have occurred within that timeframe.

And they're bashing Fletcher for hypothetical trades of Ghost that haven't occurred and may never occur.

Quite interesting

All is normal in Philly sports message board land
Can you quote this post that bashes Fletcher for a Ghost trade?

I didn't see it, but since you did I'd appreciate if you showed it to me.

Reactions: kudymen

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The issue is whether Provorov - Ghost last year was for real or just one of those SSS situations that wasn't sustainable. Did teams watch film and adjust, like the Pens did in the playoffs when they shut down Ghost.

Ghost was a top PP QB until this year, when he lost his mojo. How much was him and how much was the talent on the PP, and how much of his struggles is a temporary glitch and how much is more aggressive PKs?

At ES, he's a good puck moving D-man who's become more defensively responsible but lacks both size and top end speed (he's got good but not great speed).

He is not "insanely valuable," he's a top four defenseman with limited upside. He's turning 26 in April, what you see is pretty much what you're gonna get the rest of his contract. Last year and a half:
1.00 pp/60 (35), 0.50 p1/60 (76), CF 50.83 (73), CFrel +1.56 (46), xGF 52.34 (53), xGFrel +2.42 (42)
PP 5.35 pp/60 (14), CF 54.91 (13)
Good solid numbers, but nothing special, 17th in Norris voting as a rookie, 10th last year, no votes 2 years ago or probably this year. He's better than he's looked this year, but not sure he'll ever surpass last season again.

If Fletcher wants to make major changes to a team that's been in an 8 year rut, he has to do more than just trade Simmonds and Raffl - he has to move players of value to get players of value. There are only three candidates unless you want to move top prospects, Voracek, JVR, and Ghost. None are irreplaceable.

The playoffs or 5 games out of 6 in which Provorov looked like a more effective defenseman than Gostisbehere. 1 game in which Provorov looked like absolute garbage because his shoulder was f***ed up.

5 playoff games is not a SSS

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"I prefer waiting until something like happens before complaining about it; I'm just going to complain about imaginary posts instead"
Now now, Kudymen, I'm sure he's just looking for the post right now and it's our fault for missing it.

There's no way he lied about a post just so he could complain about it.

Any minute now he'll show us the quote.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Size doesn't matter. Winning games is what matters and scoring is how you do that.

We don't need to add a more expensive defensemen, who is far worse offensively, just because he's bigger.
Striker , when you make remarks like this it proves the point that you have never played the game and don't understand hockey , you just look at stats and think that proves everything . It doesn't

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I'm just asking for the post you're referencing since I missed it. I'm curious to see it because I agree it's absurd to blame Fletcher for a trade that didn't happen.

Thanks in advance.

there was some hand wringing over what Fletcher could do based on trades he made while at Minnesota.

Just being a bit cheeky

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Striker , when you make remarks like this it proves the point that you have never played the game and don't understand hockey , you just look at stats and think that proves everything . It doesn't

False.

But when someone has as much tangible success to show as Ghost does, on top of the eye test that backs it up and more, it makes it pretty clear what a valuable player he is. I'm not going to ignore that in favor of dinosaur assets, like size and intangibles.

-------------

EDIT: Also, saying I "just look at stats and think that proves everything" is particularly funny considering I've been defending the team/players IN SPITE of their stats all year, which I keep saying misrepresent their real ability and quality of play. :laugh:

Last edited:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Colorado is shopping Zadorov according to Friedman. Is his heaviness interesting for us in some way?

I'm genuinely asking. I have read about some usual soon to be FA targets but this is a new name, so I'm curious

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Colorado is shopping Zadorov according to Friedman. Is his heaviness interesting for us in some way?

I'm genuinely asking. I have read about some usual soon to be FA targets but this is a new name, so I'm curious
Last remaining piece of ROR trade on the block in playoff season? Red flag anyone?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

No. We have Hagg, Morin in March, he's a big LHD with limited skill and puck handling, no room at the inn.

I think ideally they'd like a more skilled version of Gudas to pair with Provorov. A skilled RHD who can take some pressure off.

Reactions: kudymen and hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I will fly first class to Philly, and then run head first into the Rocky statue if Myers or Sanheim score more than 65 points in a season. Ghost is having a down year but you are flat out wrong and are doing ghost a disservice if you think either of those two defensemen can fully replace his offence.

Ghost's highest ES scoring is 32, Provorov had 36 last year, I think Sanheim can match those two.
Who knows with the PP anymore, maybe they stick with 5 forwards (given that Giroux is one of them) going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad