Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Ok, but I'm asking for the Ghost quote.

You said:

I'd like to see that.

Thanks.

My life doesn't revolve around a message board. I'm not going back and searching.

Unlike you, I don't find messages here to be matters of court records.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I will fly first class to Philly, and then run head first into the Rocky statue if Myers or Sanheim score more than 65 points in a season. Ghost is having a down year but you are flat out wrong and are doing ghost a disservice if you think either of those two defensemen can fully replace his offence.

If Myers and Sanheim ever score 65 points combined in one season the Flyers will have had a GREAT year.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ghost's highest ES scoring is 32, Provorov had 36 last year, I think Sanheim can match those two.
Who knows with the PP anymore, maybe they stick with 5 forwards (given that Giroux is one of them) going forward.

The usual dishonest cherrypicking. What a shock.

Did you know that PP goals and points are just as valuable as any other? It's true!

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
People forget how bad Provy looked in the 2nd half. The issues he is having this year were the same as then. Gostisbehere was 100% the better defenseman for the vast majority of the season. But why would I continue to discuss this with you when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about?

See how emotional some posters get when Gostisbehere is discussed objectively?

Hell, I prefaced the discussion by listing his merits. Great find where he was drafted; balls out player; offensively gifted.

"You clearly have no idea what you are talking about". What an arrogant thing to say

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Size doesn't matter. Winning games is what matters and scoring is how you do that.

We don't need to add a more expensive defensemen, who is far worse offensively, just because he's bigger.

This mentality that so many have, where bigger is better and defense is better than offense, is a big reason why so many GMs get into trouble. It's outdated thinking that doesn't work anymore.

Size matters when you're trying to defend players bigger and stronger than yourself. Yes, that size needs to have some skill nowadays. You can't just employ big pylons anymore, but size/strength absolutely matters.

Reactions: Insurrection
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Then why make a hasty gm change and marrying yourself to Fletch if you are are punting the season anyway?

Hearing how he acted and demanded from his team and prospects and how he treated people in general, I am glad he is gone.
We would also still have Hakstol as the coach as the 2 were BFFs
To get rid of the moron behind the bench Hextall had to go

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

Hell, I prefaced the discussion by listing his merits. Great find where he was drafted; balls out player; offensively gifted.

"You clearly have no idea what you are talking about". What an arrogant thing to say

don't feel bad but that's the typical response from that person.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hearing how he acted and demanded from his team and prospects and how he treated people in general, I am glad he is gone.
We would also still have Hakstol as the coach as the 2 were BFFs
To get rid of the moron behind the bench Hextall had to go

Hextall being hired in Edmonton and immediately bringing Hakstol with him would be incredibly hilarious.

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
Ghost's highest ES scoring is 32, Provorov had 36 last year, I think Sanheim can match those two.
Who knows with the PP anymore, maybe they stick with 5 forwards (given that Giroux is one of them) going forward.
I mean fair point to ya, Sanheim may score 30-35 ES points a year. But that raises this question: Do you think Sanheim can be the best (or thereabouts) PP defenceman in the league? Last year only 3 D had more than 30 PPP. Albeit there are more on pace this year, but a lot (or in this case a little) can happen in 30 games scoring wise.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
False.

But when someone has as much tangible success to show as Ghost does, on top of the eye test that backs it up and more, it makes it pretty clear what a valuable player he is. I'm not going to ignore that in favor of dinosaur assets, like size and intangibles.

-------------

EDIT: Also, saying I "just look at stats and think that proves everything" is particularly funny considering I've been defending the team/players IN SPITE of their stats all year, which I keep saying misrepresent their real ability and quality of play. :laugh:
So the Islanders played how last year and how did they place . This year they lose Tavares but get Trots in to teach them how to play D first and look where they are now . Hockey starts from playing in your own end out . If you take care of your own end first the offence will come . In college hockey Penn state is playing offence only playing , they have great scoring stats but now are dropping right out of contention . Last year Sami Niku of the Jets won the d man of the year in the AHL as a rookie , had a boat load of points . Brought him up to the big club and oh my he was sent back down to learn how to play defence first and let the the offence come if its there . He went back down and had half the production as last year but got called up recently and looks much more like an NHL d man but still has more to work on in that reguards .
Hockey is played from your own end out and in playoffs is even more important . Points are fun and entertaining but as Washington has learned from past years if you can't keep it out of your own net you ain't going anywhere . They are having that same problem right now, scoring a bunch but have lost 7 straight .

Reactions: magnumpi

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My life doesn't revolve around a message board. I'm not going back and searching.

Unlike you, I don't find messages here to be matters of court records.
Oh, so it's not that you just made it up to complain about?

It's that it would be too difficult to search for, even with the easy to use search feature on the webiste (the thing I use to quickly find old posts)?

OK then. :popcorn:

Reactions: kudymen

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Size matters when you're trying to defend players bigger and stronger than yourself. Yes, that size needs to have some skill nowadays. You can't just employ big pylons anymore, but size/strength absolutely matters.
Skills/smarts/speed > size

It can help but it’s the least important of the 4 S’s.

Last edited:

JayB

May 30, 2012
No. We have Hagg, Morin in March, he's a big LHD with limited skill and puck handling, no room at the inn.

I think ideally they'd like a more skilled version of Gudas to pair with Provorov. A skilled RHD who can take some pressure off.

That would free up Gostisphere for trade to RHD. Price will not be so big for Zadorov ? Maybe Hägg+Raffl+pick/prospect?

Sanheim - RHD
Provorov - Myers
Zadorov - Gudas
Morin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That would free up Gostisphere for trade to RHD. Price will not be so big for Zadorov ? Maybe Hägg+Raffl+pick/prospect?

Sanheim - RHD
Provorov - Myers
Zadorov - Gudas
Morin
I would think they would want top 6 players and a center in general. Doesn’t have to be fit for Zadorov.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So the Islanders played how last year and how did they place . This year they lose Tavares but get Trots in to teach them how to play D first and look where they are now . Hockey starts from playing in your own end out . If you take care of your own end first the offence will come . In college hockey Penn state is playing offence only playing , they have great scoring stats but now are dropping right out of contention . Last year Sami Niku of the Jets won the d man of the year in the AHL as a rookie , had a boat load of points . Brought him up to the big club and oh my he was sent back down to learn how to play defence first and let the the offence come if its there . He went back down and had half the production as last year but got called up recently and looks much more like an NHL d man but still has more to work on in that reguards .
Hockey is played from your own end out and in playoffs is even more important . Points are fun and entertaining but as Washington has learned from past years if you can't keep it out of your own net you ain't going anywhere . They are having that same problem right now, scoring a bunch but have lost 7 straight .

You're acting as if I said defense doesn't matter at all. :laugh:

Of course it does, but the fact is nothing is more important or more valuable than scoring. It's literally the thing that wins you games. Scoring is tangible, indisputable proof that a player helped his team. Defensive play is valuable too, but there's too many intangible elements and "ifs" involved for it to be definitively evaluated.

A goal equals a goal. End of story. No guessing.
A great defensive play MIGHT have prevented a goal... or maybe the goalie makes the save or the opposing player misses the shot.

Then you pick a bunch of meaningless examples of teams/players that score but suck defensively, as if you couldn't find just as many example of failures because of a lack of scoring. That proved nothing.

And you want to talk about the playoffs?
Last year the Caps were the 9th best offensive team during the regular season, 16th best defensive team. The year before the Penguins were the #1 offensive team, 17th defensively. So I'd say scoring is pretty important.

Looks like you just suffer from that same outdated defensive reverence all the antiquated scouts/GMs/coaches/players/fans do. You want to act like it's most important and offense is secondary, when that's simply not the case.

There's a reason McDavid is the best and most valuable player in the league. Nobody in their right mind would trade him in a 1 for 1 deal for the best defensive player in the league (ignoring things like age or whatever else). Same concept for Ghost, which was my original point. I'm not trading a proven top-tier offensive defensemen for a more expensive, worse offensive, bigger, defensively-minded player.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I think the bigger issue with taller players is the reach advantage. Plenty of tall guys aren't very strong and plenty of short guys are like blocks of granite. Any body who has played knows that for a defenseman all other things being equal it is 100% an advantage to have a long reach and to be strong on your skates. I would also add as it applies to Ghost is he has great anticipation and awareness which are hugely important for any player and can more than make up for deficiencies in other parts of his skill set.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

Watching Ghost over the last few weeks he looks to me like he is laboring a bit. I wonder if he is battling a nagging injury.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
You're acting as if I said defense doesn't matter at all. :laugh:

Of course it does, but the fact is nothing is more important or more valuable than scoring. It's literally the thing that wins you games. Scoring is tangible, indisputable proof that a player helped his team. Defensive play is valuable too, but there's too many intangible elements and "ifs" involved for it to be definitively evaluated.

A goal equals a goal. End of story. No guessing.
A great defensive play MIGHT have prevented a goal... or maybe the goalie makes the save or the opposing player misses the shot.

Then you pick a bunch of meaningless examples of teams/players that score but suck defensively, as if you couldn't find just as many example of failures because of a lack of scoring. That proved nothing.

And you want to talk about the playoffs?
Last year the Caps were the 9th best offensive team during the regular season, 16th best defensive team. The year before the Penguins were the #1 offensive team, 17th defensively. So I'd say scoring is pretty important.

Looks like you just suffer from that same outdated defensive reverence all the antiquated scouts/GMs/coaches/players/fans do. You want to act like it's most important and offense is secondary, when that's simply not the case.

There's a reason McDavid is the best and most valuable player in the league. Nobody in their right mind would trade him in a 1 for 1 deal for the best defensive player in the league (ignoring things like age or whatever else). Same concept for Ghost, which was my original point. I'm not trading a proven top-tier offensive defensemen for a more expensive, worse offensive, bigger, defensively-minded player.

You couldn't be more correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad