Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I think he should just stick with two big UFA signings. That was a good move. 2/3 of Panarin, Stone, EK. In that order.
At least that would be something because he hasn't done shit so far. Ever since he got hired he hasn't provided a single solution for this team going forward and only difference so far is loss of Pryor. He even brought in McKenna which is straight out of hextalls book.

Reactions: TheKingPin

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
At least that would be something because he hasn't done **** so far. Ever since he got hired he hasn't provided a single solution for this team going forward and only difference so far is loss of Pryor. He even brought in McKenna which is straight out of hextalls book.

wasnt aware that everything had to be done within 6 weeks of hire.

Other teams have to willing to make a worthwhile trade. Its not as easy as saying "abba cadabra make me a great deal".

BTW - what earth shattering trades have occured in the past 2 months around the NHL?

Reactions: deadhead

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don’t mind Anderson. I actually was in favor of trying in the summer for him.

No chance you get a top 50 pick for him. I wouldn’t mind a 3rd and another lower level player. Or make it bigger and see what Anderson and stone would cost together.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Also amazes me with fletcher and homer in charge there aren’t any rumors involving the flyers besides the Ottawa one which was connected because of the amount of scouting between the two teams.

Has Homer changed his ways? When he was in charge rumors were coming out left and right. He had to be forwarding league emails to writers or something.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Everyone can be slotted into one of two groups: the "fans" who want to trade Gostisbehere or the fans who actually watch the Flyers and have a clue what they're looking at.

You're either in one group or the other. No exceptions. If you can't see how insanely valuable he is to this team, you're completely lost and hopeless.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Everyone can be slotted into one of two groups: the "fans" who want to trade Gostisbehere or the fans who actually watch the Flyers and have a clue what they're looking at.

You're either in one group or the other. No exceptions. If you can't see how insanely valuable he is to this team, you're completely lost and hopeless.

giphy.gif

Dooblus Dooizfour

Nov 5, 2016

I love the Flyers and I love Ghost! He is a highly valuable piece of the business. But with that said, if we can upgrade the right side with a similarly high value player then it has to be considered.

The lack of Ghosts offense is partially compensated with the emergence of Sanheim and Myers. Then add whatever highly valuable piece we get back, and it may improve the team. Not sure who’s available that fits this criteria but if I can move Ghost for a right shot highly valuable piece then I probably pull the trigger

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

The Flyers had the 5th most points in the league after 1/1/18, in large part due to the top pairing playing so well together. It certainly wasn't because of the bottom 4 of Hagg-MacDonald and Manning-Gudas.

NHL.com - Stats

The Flyers have the fourth fewest points this season in large part due to Provorov and Ghost both having poor seasons. Much poorer than their 17-18 campaigns.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I love the Flyers and I love Ghost! He is a highly valuable piece of the business. But with that said, if we can upgrade the right side with a similarly high value player then it has to be considered.

The lack of Ghosts offense is partially compensated with the emergence of Sanheim and Myers. Then add whatever highly valuable piece we get back, and it may improve the team. Not sure who’s available that fits this criteria but if I can move Ghost for a right shot highly valuable piece then I probably pull the trigger
Well I have good news for you! Ghost is the upgrade to the right side that you're looking for! And he's FREE!

So the real problem we have is that we have an interim coach who isn't putting him where he belongs, which isn't Ghosts fault and it definitely isn't solved by removing one of our best players, who's on a steal of a contract.

Plus, Ghosts lack of scoring this year is because of two things. 1) the PP is broken and it's effecting all of the top units individual point totals, and 2) at 5v5, for over 70% of the year, he's been playing with one of Hagg, MacDonald, or Folin... three black holes that kill offense. He's had some individual struggles this year, but not enough to explain the scoring and nothing that will be a worry going into the future.

Trust me. There's no scenario where trading Ghost makes this team better.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
At least that would be something because he hasn't done **** so far. Ever since he got hired he hasn't provided a single solution for this team going forward and only difference so far is loss of Pryor. He even brought in McKenna which is straight out of hextalls book.
I think this is more Homers and Scott’s fault. They said Hextall was too patient and not making things happen, that’s why he was fired. Really it’s obvious that they were just bum hurt about not being included in Hextalls decisions which makes sense bc they are both idiots. In the end, there was not much to do at that or this point besides fire Hakstol and get taken advantage of in a trade like Myers for Nylander or Sanhiem for Stone. Even Hakstol was not a planned firing which was obvious. We can thank Dave issac for that and making Hakstol question things. Hart was called up as the 7th goalie. Him or make a trade. Hextall would have done the same as Homer said he agreed with Hextalls view on Hart. Who cares about varone. I’m not mad at Fletch unless the trade deadline goes poorly, draft, UFA. Homer and Scott are horrible. And they are going no where.

Reactions: Curufinwe

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
interesting commentary on this board.

People are bashing Fletcher for not making an NHL 2019 trade 6 weeks into his tenure.... nevermind the fact that no noteworthy NHL trades have occurred within that timeframe.

And they're bashing Fletcher for hypothetical trades of Ghost that haven't occurred and may never occur.

Quite interesting

All is normal in Philly sports message board land

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
wasnt aware that everything had to be done within 6 weeks of hire.

Other teams have to willing to make a worthwhile trade. Its not as easy as saying "abba cadabra make me a great deal".

BTW - what earth shattering trades have occured in the past 2 months around the NHL?
Then why make a hasty gm change and marrying yourself to Fletch if you are are punting the season anyway?

Dooblus Dooizfour

Nov 5, 2016
Well I have good news for you! Ghost is the upgrade to the right side that you're looking for! And he's FREE!

So the real problem we have is that we have an interim coach who isn't putting him where he belongs, which isn't Ghosts fault and it definitely isn't solved by removing one of our best players, who's on a steal of a contract.

Plus, Ghosts lack of scoring this year is because of two things. 1) the PP is broken and it's effecting all of the top units individual point totals, and 2) at 5v5, for over 70% of the year, he's been playing with one of Hagg, MacDonald, or Folin... three black holes that kill offense. He's had some individual struggles this year, but not enough to explain the scoring and nothing that will be a worry going into the future.

Trust me. There's no scenario where trading Ghost makes this team better.
I’m an old dumb hockey player and not much of a writer so I’m sorry for not being clearer.
What I meant about Ghosts’ lack of scoring wasn’t a knock on his play this year. I agree with you that point. I meant could the team compensate for his scoring if he was moved

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Then why make a hasty gm change and marrying yourself to Fletch if you are are punting the season anyway?
Does Fletcher get a chance to evaluate his organization & the trade market for a measly couple months or not? Yeesh. He’s not playing a video game. And trades aren’t decided on by one party.

Reactions: rajaampat

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018

I don;t know.

But I do know nothing is Fletcher's fault..... yet.

So I'm not going to work myself into a heart attack on 1/24/2019 over the performance of Chuck Fletcher as GM of the Flyers.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m an old dumb hockey player and not much of a writer so I’m sorry for not being clearer.
What I meant about Ghosts’ lack of scoring wasn’t a knock on his play this year. I agree with you that point. I meant could the team compensate for his scoring if he was moved

Not if he goes back to normal next year. If you don't think this year is a fluke, then I guess it can be compensated for, but there's no way this is going to continue and when he's playing like himself he's one of the best offensive defensemen in the entire league.

In his previous three years (his entire career, outside of this half season) he's 7th in defensemen P/GP for guys with over 200 games played... which includes the years that he had the same injury/surgery/recovery that Giroux had. Look at the only names above him...

9efcbd439487e686b43b176e4f8f0792.png

Then for PP scoring... nobody compares... (notice games played)

0e6cefc0b9ad48882639a5248cd23302.png

So, not only do we have no defensemen who can step in and replace his scoring right now, but even if we assume Sanheim or Myers can get close, there's absolutely no reason we can't keep all three.

Keeping him is the only logical choice here. He's just too good and too valuable. No realistic trade that involves him leaving makes this team better.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The issue is whether Provorov - Ghost last year was for real or just one of those SSS situations that wasn't sustainable. Did teams watch film and adjust, like the Pens did in the playoffs when they shut down Ghost.

Ghost was a top PP QB until this year, when he lost his mojo. How much was him and how much was the talent on the PP, and how much of his struggles is a temporary glitch and how much is more aggressive PKs?

At ES, he's a good puck moving D-man who's become more defensively responsible but lacks both size and top end speed (he's got good but not great speed).

He is not "insanely valuable," he's a top four defenseman with limited upside. He's turning 26 in April, what you see is pretty much what you're gonna get the rest of his contract. Last year and a half:
1.00 pp/60 (35), 0.50 p1/60 (76), CF 50.83 (73), CFrel +1.56 (46), xGF 52.34 (53), xGFrel +2.42 (42)
PP 5.35 pp/60 (14), CF 54.91 (13)
Good solid numbers, but nothing special, 17th in Norris voting as a rookie, 10th last year, no votes 2 years ago or probably this year. He's better than he's looked this year, but not sure he'll ever surpass last season again.

If Fletcher wants to make major changes to a team that's been in an 8 year rut, he has to do more than just trade Simmonds and Raffl - he has to move players of value to get players of value. There are only three candidates unless you want to move top prospects, Voracek, JVR, and Ghost. None are irreplaceable.

Reactions: magnumpi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad