GDT: Trade Deadline - Trade Eatin' SZN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I don't think he played himself off the roster. He just wasn't worth the cap hit. I think the Oilers would have gladly shipped out Khaira instead. This was a cap move.
630 Ched they talked about a Khaira for Heinen trade set up before the AA trade

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
looking at all the deals :
Vatanen would have been a better target than Green. Didn't cost CAR a whole lot.
Glad we stayed away from Pageau
Nate Thompson would have been a good add for down the middle

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I thought Calgary needed forward help more than defensive help. what's up with their moves today?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Overall very happy with the deadline, more then I expected for sure.

Green - I’ve wanted him on the Oilers for years now, hopefully he can have a rejuvenation here with something to play for and playing with two of the best and a good young team. He’ll add some much needed puck moving ability and a lethal shot from the back end. Not a bad thing to have our young blue liners practicing with one of the best offensive dmen/puck movers of the last two decades.

Athanasiou - Polarizing player for me, obviously love his speed and goal scoring ability but he has issues. His playmaking ability isn’t great as well as his defensive play. Biggest thing for me is that Holland and Tippett targeted him and they have a plan and a specific role for him and if he does what’s asked he’ll become a very good player.

Ennis - Like his numbers this year, adds another skilled playmaker to the top 9 and he’s a guy who I believe is going to come in here with a high compete level and do whatever’s asked of him. Also love the hometown kid coming home for a playoff run story, I think he’s gonna bring a lot of energy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Whats disappointing is apparently Florida owners told the team they NEED to cut 10 million

I have a feeling we were close to getting Hoffman who i think would have been a better fit than AA.

Hoffman would've been good too, but I don't get the logic of dropping like one of your top scorers when you're 2 points out of a playoff spot. I'm not sure I buy how genuine those reports were.

AA can be a long term option too, if it was Hoffman and he played well here, he's likely shopping the UFA market and I'm guessing after enjoy Miami the last 18 months or so he and his wife are over being a Canadian market after everything that happened in Ottawa.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I thought Calgary needed forward help more than defensive help. what's up with their moves today?
Their power play is pretty anemic, likely the reason for the Gus addition. He can’t play a lick of defence, but he’s great as a PPQB, especially for the cheap price they got him for.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
looking at all the deals :
Vatanen would have been a better target than Green. Didn't cost CAR a whole lot.
Glad we stayed away from Pageau
Nate Thompson would have been a good add for down the middle
I disagree. Green is perfect because his experience and the fact that he doesn't have to be an every night player to be worth it. His guidance alone could be huge for guys like Bear, Jones, and Bouchard. Acquiring Vatanen would be something I'd have been more on board with if we had a full time roster spot available, but as it is I think Green will be rotating in with Benning.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
With the acquired depth in the last 24 hours....no we aren't.
We aren't likely to see any Dmen go down though until Klef gets back though. Offensively they get Benson back, but that's it right now isn't it?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

That, my friend, is the equivalent of knowing your team needs a base hit to drive in a couple of runs but you drop a bunt down instead just to say you advanced the runners.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
This is the best trade deadline I can remember as an Oilers fan.

They addressed needs, they did it around cap problems that could have easily excused a quiet deadline, and they did it cheaply as far as assets are concerned.
Couldn't agree more.

Some risk with the AA trade with all the question marks surrounding his game, but also a potential high reward. Overall an excellent deadline where our main issue was addressed for very reasonable costs. Holland has made a big fan out of me this past year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad