GDT: Trade Deadline - Trade Eatin' SZN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Their whole d-structure is messed up because of the Klef injury. They can't play Benning more than 10 minutes because of the health concerns but they can't double shift anyone with Lagesson because everyone in the Top 4 is already stretched out as far as minutes goes. Green was needed more badly than they were letting on.

Is the Benning thing published anywhere? Not that I don't believe you but it doesn't make sense to me that someone would be cleared to play but would be limited to 10 minutes. Especially with concussion issues. I would think he's either good to go or he's not.

Reactions: Samus44

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Benning can't play more than 10 minutes a game because they're worried about his health. That's one of the reasons they traded for Green I think.
Not at all. I'm sure they are concerned about the health of Russell, and as a result of that uncertainty, he's been place on LTIR. With Klef out another 2 weeks, they needed some veteran presence back there instead of a raw rook in Leggason on an already young backend. And you can never have too many dmen going down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Holland will have set himself up very nicely for the offseason if he can get Archibald and Sheahan extensions done. We'd basically have a hole at 3C and that's it up front. I wonder if Slepyshev comes back and plays with Benson? That seems like a natural fit as playmaker/shooter for a soft matchup bottom 6 line that could chip in some goals. McLeod probably needs another year in the AHL but he and Lavoie could push their way up by 2021/22.

Athanasiou McDavid Kassian
RNH Drai Yamomoto
Benson ??? Slepyshev
Nygaard Sheahan Archibald
Khaira
Chiasson

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is the Benning thing published anywhere? Not that I don't believe you but it doesn't make sense to me that someone would be cleared to play but would be limited to 10 minutes. Especially with concussion issues. I would think he's either good to go or he's not.

I don't remember where I saw it but it's been posted a few times here. It's not that he can't play, I think they're afraid of over exerting him or exposing him to too many minutes (and physical contact).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't remember where I saw it but it's been posted a few times here. It's not that he can't play, I think they're afraid of over exerting him or exposing him to too many minutes (and physical contact).

That doesn't really make any sense. Either you can play or you can't, other NHL players aren't going to take it easy because you're only playing X minutes.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
That doesn't really make any sense. Either you can play or you can't, other NHL players aren't going to take it easy because you're only playing X minutes.

I think he means he's less likely to get hit if he's playing less minutes, not that players won't hit him because of it.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not at all. I'm sure they are concerned about the health of Russell, and as a result of that uncertainty, he's been place on LTIR. With Klef out another 2 weeks, they needed some veteran presence back there instead of a raw rook in Leggason on an already young backend. And you can never have too many dmen going down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Speculation: - Rumors and Proposals Thread: Oilers Trade Deadline Endgame

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think is playing 10 minutes because Lagesson is playing with him and Tippett doesn't trust Lagesson. If concussion issues were that big of a concern he wouldn't be playing period.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Carolina sure made out alright. Skjei, Vats, Trochek and Keane is a good haul. Priskie is looking good, Kuokkanen and Gauthier could be alright, but that’s a lot of maybe for three established, good nhl players, even if Vatanen takes off in the summer. And they can replenish some of those picks by dumping Gardiner in the off-season.
Good for them.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Pretty sure it's one of the main reasons they got him. Despite his age, the guy has run PP's before, so it's a fit. Gives Bear and Nurse more time to concentrate on their 5 on 5 play and not get burned out.
That's exactly it. Even when Klefbom is back, Green can take some of the load off so he doesn't have to play 27 minutes a night. Also, if the Oilers add Bouchard to the playoff roster just to be around and get in some practice with the big club, Green could be huge as a mentor to help the kid along seeing as they have a similar skill set. I wouldn't doubt we bring him back as the number 7 next year on a cheap deal just for that aspect.

When healthy I see our D like this

Nurse Bear
Klefbom Larsson
Jones Green
Russell Benning

Bouchard slots in next year. The nice thing is the Oilers will recoup a lot of the picks the sent out today at the draft. Puljujarvi and Benning should bring back some 2nd or 3rd rounders.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think is playing 10 minutes because Lagesson is playing with him and Tippett doesn't trust Lagesson. If concussion issues were that big of a concern he wouldn't be playing period.

He was being limited to 10 minutes a game BEFORE Klef got injured. This was being paired with Jones, and it basically limited Jones to 10 minutes a game too.

Edmonton Oilers - Florida Panthers - February 15th, 2020

Edmonton Oilers - Carolina Hurricanes - February 16th, 2020

Chicago Blackhawks - Edmonton Oilers - February 11th, 2020

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
See my post above.

I guess we'll see if Green draws in for him immediately or not. It would be bizarre if the speculation is correct, because I can't think of an injury that would allow a player to play limited minutes without serious risk of re-injury. I mean he was belting guys in the Boston game so it's not like he's avoiding a physical game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I guess we'll see if Green draws in for him immediately or not. It would be bizarre if the speculation is correct, because I can't think of an injury that would allow a player to play limited minutes without serious risk of re-injury. I mean he was belting guys in the Boston game so it's not like he's avoiding a physical game.

It might also just be that Tippett doesn't trust him, and it has nothing to do with his partner. He's getting 10 minutes with Jones or Lagesson, and I think Tippett likes Jones a fair bit.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
There are obviously no concussion issues, because since he's been back he's been kabonged multiple times in the face and came back. It's not about injuries. You just lean on your top 4 in crunch time. Best players gotta be your best players.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I think Green's experience is going to be so valuable for this team down the stretch, and I'm predicting he gets a late-career energy boost from coming to a young, competitive team. This is a very well-respected player coming up on 900 games with over 500 points and by all accounts a great teammate. What a perfect mentor for Bear and Jones.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Carolina sure made out alright. Skjei, Vats, Trochek and Keane is a good haul. Priskie is looking good, Kuokkanen and Gauthier could be alright, but that’s a lot of maybe for three established, good nhl players, even if Vatanen takes off in the summer. And they can replenish some of those picks by dumping Gardiner in the off-season.
Good for them.

Thought they’d add a goalie, with both of their starters out.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's definitely a possibility that Green has more left in the tank than we think. He was pretty much playing 0.5 ppg hockey for several years up until this season, and we all know how terrible Detroit is this year. What a boon for the Oilers if he comes in and is a legitimate puck mover on the third pairing for the rest of the season. Even though I like Benning, Benning isn't scoring 40 points any time soon. Not expecting much out of Green, but I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes a regular player at least.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I bet Benning comes out before Lagesson as it stands just for the simple fact Tipppet likes to have a L and R on all pairings. Plus I think they really like Lagesson's PK ability. Green on the PP just makes life so much easier for the rest of the D to play minutes they are comfortable with.

Bones2079

Oct 2, 2019
Tier 3 Fan
Holland will have set himself up very nicely for the offseason if he can get Archibald and Sheahan extensions done. We'd basically have a hole at 3C and that's it up front. I wonder if Slepyshev comes back and plays with Benson? That seems like a natural fit as playmaker/shooter for a soft matchup bottom 6 line that could chip in some goals. McLeod probably needs another year in the AHL but he and Lavoie could push their way up by 2021/22.

RNH Drai Yamomoto
Benson ??? Slepyshev
Khaira
Chiasson
What are we doing with Neal?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

RNH Drai Yamomoto
Benson ??? Slepyshev
Khaira
Chiasson

He's in a very good position now, he just needs to tinker not make massive changes.

Athansiou and the emergence of Yamamoto on the wing change the calculus on the wings dramatically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad