GDT: Trade Deadline - Trade Eatin' SZN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Decent chance Ennis re-signs if it works out here. He’s an Edmonton boy I think.

Yes, his family have a textiles business based out of Edmonton and their family has a cabin a couple hours out from the city (I know this because it's near a friend's family cabin).

Assuming it works out I think there's a good chance he re-signs for cheap too. Isn't there a rumour he was close to signing here last year but we went after someone else?

Reactions: Cloned

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I somehow missed it on the Oilers site when I threw my question out. I haven't watched it but I seen the quote from him saying it was an easy decision to make.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Hehe, I can't help but constantly think of Herbert from Family Guy every time Lou's voice whistles

latest

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Keep in mind that the NHL average goals per game so far is ~3.035 goals per game.

Detroit by comparison this season has a team goals per game of ~2.031... so essentially they are ~50% under the NHL average in terms of offense.

So with that in mind, that gives some context to Green and Athanasiou and their offensive output this season with Detroit.

There's a VERY high chance that they take a step forward offensively coming from that historically poor offensive team in Detroit when they arrive here in Edmonton who are already scoring at an above average rate of ~3.194 goals per game (which is ~5% above the NHL average).

Last season Athanasiou was on an 82 game pace of ~60 pts and Green was on pace for ~50 pts... not saying Oilers are definitely getting a 60 point forward and a 50 point dman injected into the roster... but I think the chance that they add some offensive depth to this roster is very good.

Ennis I don't have quite as high expectations for... last season he was on pace for ~30 pts on a good offensive Leafs team (~17% above the league average offensively
)... whereas this year he's on pace for ~44 pts on a below average Ottawa team (~13% under the league average in offense). His addition doesn't hurt obviously though as it's added depth on the wings which the team needs.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Holland will have set himself up very nicely for the offseason if he can get Archibald and Sheahan extensions done. We'd basically have a hole at 3C and that's it up front. I wonder if Slepyshev comes back and plays with Benson? That seems like a natural fit as playmaker/shooter for a soft matchup bottom 6 line that could chip in some goals. McLeod probably needs another year in the AHL but he and Lavoie could push their way up by 2021/22.

Athanasiou McDavid Kassian
RNH Drai Yamomoto
Benson ??? Slepyshev
Nygaard Sheahan Archibald
Khaira
Chiasson

That'd be great if someone takes Neal off our hands, which unless we give up a 1st or better likely doesn't happen.

I'd be really happy to see Slepyshev back. Puljujarvi is still a very unlikely possibility too. It's nice that they've got a couple potential wildcards on the cheap they could bring in.

I'd be disappointed if they didn't bring Haas back for a sophomore season, having a year under his belt could see him have a nice improvement in year two. The Oilers seem to believe in him and are developing this player slowly while consistently giving him opportunity. I think they see him as a solid two way RH C with PK ability and that's not always an easy guy to find, certainly not for cheap. It's relatively plausible he improves at evens, gets more ice time, and is given an opportunity on the PK (Tippett thinks he can do it) and all of a sudden we've got a cheap fast 30 point center. Not too shabby for a guy who likely will cost less than a million bucks.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That'd be great if someone takes Neal off our hands, which unless we give up a 1st or better likely doesn't happen.

I'd be really happy to see Slepyshev back. Puljujarvi is still a very unlikely possibility too. It's nice that they've got a couple potential wildcards on the cheap they could bring in.

I'd be disappointed if they didn't bring Haas back for a sophomore season, having a year under his belt could see him have a nice improvement in year two. The Oilers seem to believe in him and are developing this player slowly while consistently giving him opportunity. I think they see him as a solid two way RH C with PK ability and that's not always an easy guy to find, certainly not for cheap. It's relatively plausible he improves at evens, gets more ice time, and is given an opportunity on the PK (Tippett thinks he can do it) and all of a sudden we've got a cheap fast 30 point center. Not too shabby for a guy who likely will cost less than a million bucks.
Not really sure why the offseason matters right now, but someone took Lucic, straight up, so there's definitely a possibility of moving Neal.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010

Neal is the intriguing one. He is still weeks away. If he was healthy his value to us or other teams would be dependant on how he can play. Hopefully, he can figure it out. I think he does have value.

Reactions: Samus44

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Neal is the intriguing one. He is still weeks away. If he was healthy his value to us or other teams would be dependant on how he can play. Hopefully, he can figure it out. I think he does have value.

In the right role and healthy i agree Neal can be a useful guy. He may fit in well as a 3rd wheel with AA-McDavid or Ennis-Haas and can help the PP. When he's on his game and the chips are down in the playoffs he could be a big help with physicality and scoring. The problem is the money and term and the fact he needs an ideal offensive situation to be remotely helpful at evens.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
An underrated part of these acqusitions is how it continues to address one of the Oilers big problems: team speed. Kassian, RNH and Draisaitl are good skaters, but aren't really super quick. They don't accelerate into full speed in their first couple steps the way that Yamamoto, McDavid, Haas and Nygard do. That quickness is one of two things that regularly draws penalties in the NHL these days (the other being return/revenge penalties). Adding Nygard, Archibald and Haas helped but the Oilers still lack for top-six options with speed. Neal, Chiasson, Gagner, et all are pretty lead footed, and it's part of why the Oilers are only 18th in penalties drawn.

upload_2020-2-24_19-14-29.png

Manning is there due to small sample, Khaira because of even-up situations. AA is 1.26 in this metric, Ennis 1.07. They both will help send us to the PP, and our PP is a nuclear bomb.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Goodness Maple leaf fans are on the brink. I like to knock them as much as the next fellow, but they still have a very talented young team with a good future. It’s like, chill a bit.

Its strange to be one of the teams excited after the deadline. It’s been a while.
They’re wasting prime years of Matthews..hehe...

Reactions: Aerrol

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
So we can now take that game that we lost in OT to Boston and say we were missing the following from our playoff lineup roster

F: McDavid, Neal, Kassian, Athanasiou, Ennis, Nygard

D: Klefbom, Green, Russell

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Didn't think the Islanders were good enough to warrant giving up a first round pick this year. And then to go get Parise....at 35 years old. He can't even drive the zam...

Ottawa is going to be a force in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad