GDT: Trade Deadline - Trade Eatin' SZN

OldManBouchard

Oct 14, 2019
Why is it a dump problem to worry about, one of the big "perks" of us getting AA is the fact is he is RFA instead of a UFA, yet from the past AA is a pain in the ass in contract negotations and he will likely only get harder as he approaches UFA status and is now arbitration eligible. Just seems like an odd choice from Hollands standpoint of a player to target besides the Detroit connection.

But isn't that exactly how you end up with no money and no wife 2 years later..

History has shown that the McDavid effect doesn't automatically equate to significant raises.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Neal’s earning his money this year. If he wasn’t injured he probably would have scored somewhere between 25-30 goals this year and is a big part of our league leading PP. The problem with his deal is that it’s to long and he could become useless as soon as next season.
But our PP hasn't got worse since Neal got injured. Let's be honest, most of his goals aside from 2-4 were open net tap ins. Which is fine, because our PP requires a guy who gets in that spot. Neal isn't a big part of our PP though. We've seen Chiasson slot in there and perform just as well. I bet I could go out there for the PP net front presence and bang home 15 goals a year and I haven't skated in a year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
But our PP hasn't got worse since Neal got injured. Let's be honest, most of his goals aside from 2-4 were open net tap ins. Which is fine, because our PP requires a guy who gets in that spot. Neal isn't a big part of our PP though. We've seen Chiasson slot in there and perform just as well. I bet I could go out there for the PP net front presence and bang home 15 goals a year and I haven't skated in a year.

Chaisson isn’t as effective as Neal in that spot but Neal isn’t worth the extra 4.4 million for the 10 extra goals he’ll score.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
So what you're saying is you would rather have Lucic because of $750K, nice that's a solid assessment of the situation.
I'm not even going to respond to that. What an intellectually dishonest reply, i find it genuinely sad to read.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Neal’s earning his money this year. If he wasn’t injured he probably would have scored somewhere between 25-30 goals this year and is a big part of our league leading PP. The problem with his deal is that it’s to long and he could become useless as soon as next season.

He's been awful at even strength for the most part. He's struggled to score at evens with Nuge and McDavid scoring only 12 points and is -21.When he's on he's effective physically and dangerous and darn near a 5 million dollar player but for large portions this season he's been a step behind and unable to keep plays alive. The team can use Neal when healthy as a physical presence and excellent finisher on the PP but i don't think he can, and he hasn't for 2 seasons, be regularly effective at even strength. I don't think he's useless, just really limited.

I will say he did look better early, and in fact scored most of his goals then, so a broken toe and ankle sprain may mean he was under performing for a large chunk of his season. I have legit hope he can be the Neal of the first 20 games going into the playoffs healthy, in fact I want them to try him as the 3rd wheel with AA-McDavid. So as much as i am concerned with his play at evens I do expect him to ratchet it up and give it his best every night in the playoffs. I just don't think he can be his best every night through a whole season any more. Here's to hoping health was the big issue and he is actually the Neal of Vegas and the first 20, if so he is worth the cost.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
on behalf of the board:

giphy.gif

Reactions: McDNicks17

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We should have offered Khaira for Thornton.

Looks like he really wanted some playoffs action. Some vet depth down the middle would have been great for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad