GDT: Trade Deadline - Trade Eatin' SZN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
The cost was actually quite good. I almost feel like we robbed Yzerman. We gave two 2nds for an RFA that has potential to be a 20+ goal scorer for us for years. He probablt won't be difficult to sign for at least 1 season because of his down year.

IIRC I'm pretty sure he was difficult for Holland to sign two years ago after a 33 point season..

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
You know what else was nice about today? Not having to hear our GM say afterwards... "I know they're not sexy players but...."

I like sexy.

And not have to hear the words 'death by a thousand cuts' over and over and over.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
He has arbitration rights now but his agent is smart enough to know that he has no leverage right now. I think he signs a 1 year deal knowing he can cash in on Mcdavids wing.

Maybe he does sign a one year deal that isn't too bad, but if he does cash in on McDavids wing, I dont think it'll be a very team friendly deal after that..

Like I said its tbd, but from what I remember Holland had a tough time dealing with him and his agent after a 33 point career high season, now he has a 30 goal 54 point season in the bag and if he does well on this team next year, I dont see the negotiations getting any easier..

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maybe he does sign a one year deal that isn't too bad, but if he does cash in on McDavids wing, I dont think it'll be a very team friendly deal after that..

Like I said its tbd, but from what I remember Holland had a tough time dealing with him and his agent after a 33 point career high season, now he has a 30 goal 54 point season in the bag and if he does well on this team next year, I dont see the negotiations getting any easier..

If he scores 30 goals here, great. Pay him.

Reactions: Cloned

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thats a rather basic and simplistic was to look at things without any regard to what the contract could look like..

You have to pay good players. Yes, it's that simple. There's no such thing as a free lunch in the NHL.

You're welcome to going back to enjoying the Chiarelli era where we just had sh*t players that were a boat anchor for McDavid and Draisaitl and paying the likes of Lucic $6 million and we didn't have to worry about paying anyone because the team had 2 good players total.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I wonder if McDavid just made a friendly bet with Leon on who's winning the Art Ross now that he has actual line mates.

Reactions: Oilhawks

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I wonder if McDavid just made a friendly bet with Leon on who's winning the Art Ross now that he has actual line mates.
As Don Cherry puts it, same sh*t, different kind of pieu. Won't change a thing. Draisaitl's got this locked up barring injuries.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why didn't the Sharks take anything, a 7th whatever, and let Joe Thornton move somewhere else? That seemed kinda disrespectful to me, guy isn't going to likely have another shot at winning a Cup.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Why didn't the Sharks take anything, a 7th whatever, and let Joe Thornton move somewhere else? That seemed kinda disrespectful to me, guy isn't going to likely have another shot at winning a Cup.

They were too busy extorting Tampa for their first round pick.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
You have to pay good players. Yes, it's that simple. There's no such thing as a free lunch in the NHL.

You're welcome to going back to enjoying the Chiarelli era where we just had sh*t players that were a boat anchor for McDavid and Draisaitl and paying the likes of Lucic $6 million and we didn't have to worry about paying anyone because the team had 2 good players total.

I'm fine with paying good players, but I'm not a fan of paying a guy for the 20 point boost they get playing with the best player in the league.. Which is what I'd expect to happen if AA thrives on a line with McDavid based on the prior difficulties he gave Holland in contract negotiations

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm fine with paying good players, but I'm not a fan of paying a guy for the 20 point boost they get playing with the best player in the league.. Which is what I'd expect to happen if AA thrives on a line with McDavid based on the prior difficulties he gave Holland in contract negotiations

That applies to any one that plays with McDavid or Draisaitl. Think Zack Kassian is getting 3+ mill playing with Haas and Sheahan?

If Athansiou fits into our top 6, I'm happy with paying him accordingly. If he wants some exorbitant amount, guess what it'll be because he had a great season and worse comes to worse that means he has likely high trade value.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Depending on the source, Jumbo Joe had only a few teams he would go to and they were not interested

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
That applies to any one that plays with McDavid or Draisaitl. Think Zack Kassian is getting 3+ mill playing with Haas and Sheahan?

If Athansiou fits into our top 6, I'm happy with paying him accordingly. If he wants some exorbitant amount, guess what it'll be because he had a great season and worse comes to worse that means he has likely high trade value.

So if everything works out and AA produces lets say 35G 35A on McDavids wing next year, you have zero problem signing him to a 7x7 contract per say?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad