GDT: Trade Deadline - Trade Eatin' SZN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So if everything works out and AA produces lets say 35G 35A on McDavids wing next year, you have zero problem signing him to a 7x7 contract per say?

I would consider it, or at those numbers you could also trade him for another player that comes in and scores 30 with McDavid. We win either way. This is seriously a dumb problem to worry about.

You want to have these kinds of problems.

Reactions: McBooya42 and 780il

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would consider it, or at those numbers you could also trade him for another player that comes in and scores 30 with McDavid. We win either way. This is seriously a dumb problem to worry about.

I have no idea how some people can post sky-high optimistic scenarios in terms of production and somehow turn it into a negative situation overall.

This is like saying what if I win the lottery tomorrow, have a beautiful woman (eg. Melissa Benoist) want to marry me, and then worrying about signing the prenup. Yes, it's technically a problem, but it's 100x better than having no money and no wife but hey, I don't have to worry about signing a prenup.

Last edited:
Reactions: McCanovin

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Not really sure why the offseason matters right now, but someone took Lucic, straight up, so there's definitely a possibility of moving Neal.

No they didn't. Edmonton retained 750k and got another bad contract in return. Neal is a better player but with retention they're essentially paying 1.25 million more for Neal's services and Neal is a 3 million dollar player tops. It was the best of a bad situation but it's still bad.

The nice thing is if the Oilers are a contender come next deadline a Backes type deal may be a lot easier to make then dumping him in the off season.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Gotta feel for Ottawa...not resigning Pageau for 5 million...
Chris Tierney Plays 25 minutes tonight....

I really thought Ottawa would resign Pageau in the end and Tierney would be the money saving option that they would pop loose....

Maybe the money situation there is truly dire...

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

Why is it a dump problem to worry about, one of the big "perks" of us getting AA is the fact is he is RFA instead of a UFA, yet from the past AA is a pain in the ass in contract negotations and he will likely only get harder as he approaches UFA status and is now arbitration eligible. Just seems like an odd choice from Hollands standpoint of a player to target besides the Detroit connection.

I have no idea how some people can post sky-high optimistic scenarios in terms of production and somehow turn it into a negative situation overall.

This is like saying what if I win the lottery tomorrow, have a beautiful woman (eg. Melissa Benoist) want to marry me, and then worrying about signing the prenup. Yes, it's technically a problem, but it's 100x better than having no money and no wife but hey, I don't have to worry about signing a prenup.

But isn't that exactly how you end up with no money and no wife 2 years later..

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Why is it a dump problem to worry about, one of the big "perks" of us getting AA is the fact is he is RFA instead of a UFA, yet from the past AA is a pain in the ass in contract negotations and he will likely only get harder as he approaches UFA status and is now arbitration eligible. Just seems like an odd choice from Hollands standpoint of a player to target besides the Detroit connection.

But isn't that exactly how you end up with no money and no wife 2 years later..

You can't trade wives in real life, but you can trade players in the NHL.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Holland must have some legit clout in the league to get such good bargains. I swear that's the most important thing as a GM.

IMO it’s not about clout but respect and a reputation for fairness. But whatever it is I agree it’s absolutely critical. A new GM has to establish that and it takes years.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I'm fine with paying good players, but I'm not a fan of paying a guy for the 20 point boost they get playing with the best player in the league.. Which is what I'd expect to happen if AA thrives on a line with McDavid based on the prior difficulties he gave Holland in contract negotiations
Which is what the Oilers offered Maroon and paid Kassian. They need the Pittsburgh model: pump up the value and dump for picks/prospects to keep the cycle going.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
IMO it’s not about clout but respect and a reputation for fairness. But whatever it is I agree it’s absolutely critical. A new GM has to establish that and it takes years.

Brisebois in TB is in danger of garnering a suckers reputation. He's lucky he has such a deep base of assets to draw from initially, because he still has time to recover, but man he's bleeding assets left and right. I got a kick out of watching the vet GM Doug Wilson school him today, literally daring Brisebois to blink on Goodrow until Brisebois finally did at the last minute and gave up their first rounder for a 30 point player.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Brisebois in TB is in danger of garnering a suckers reputation. He's lucky he has such a deep base of assets to draw from initially, because he still has time to recover, but man he's bleeding assets left and right. I got a kick out of watching the vet GM Doug Wilson school him today, literally daring Brisebois to blink on Goodrow until Brisebois finally did at the last minute and gave up their first rounder for a 30 point player.

He paid a very high price for Coleman as well. That said he got a first for Miller and will probably get a first for Killorn from a desperate manager at the draft. It will be interesting to see how he manages their assets after this season is done as they are entering cap hell.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He paid a very high price for Coleman as well. That said he got a first for Miller and will probably get a first for Killorn from a desperate manager at the draft. It will be interesting to see how he manages their assets after this season is done as they are entering cap hell.

If he keeps down this route, he'll sewer that team within 5 years.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If he keeps down this route, he'll sewer that team within 5 years.

Crunch time may be when Points bridge deal is up in 2 years. To qualify him will be over $9M. They have Kucherov and Vasilevsky at 19M, Stamkos and Hedman at 16M and a lot of RFAs to resign then.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No they didn't. Edmonton retained 750k and got another bad contract in return. Neal is a better player but with retention they're essentially paying 1.25 million more for Neal's services and Neal is a 3 million dollar player tops. It was the best of a bad situation but it's still bad.

The nice thing is if the Oilers are a contender come next deadline a Backes type deal may be a lot easier to make then dumping him in the off season.
So what you're saying is you would rather have Lucic because of $750K, nice that's a solid assessment of the situation.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Yeah, I'm surprised the Lightning did almost nothing to address their blueline. Their top guys are great, but their depth his atrocious. Bogosian makes it better, but Luke Schenn is playing regular minutes for that, that is not good.
Hedman-McDonagh
Sergachev-Cernak
Coburn-Shattenkirk
Schenn-Bogosian

I think they are more than fine. Absolutely sick roster all-around.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don’t think I’ve seen a GM do this before, but in a tight year like this, I could see it being plausible.

If, near the end of the season, a team needs something like 2 wins in its last 3 to make the playoffs, and teams like Florida and Nashville are out, I wonder if a GM would think outside the box and try to snag someone like Hoffman or Granlund to help.

I imagine the price would be something along the lines of trading the rights to any upcoming UFA, but the timing makes it interesting.

They wouldn’t be able to play in the playoffs, but could certainly help get a team there.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hedman-McDonagh
Sergachev-Cernak
Coburn-Shattenkirk
Schenn-Bogosian

I think they are more than fine. Absolutely sick roster all-around.
Apparently McDonagh is having a terrible year, and he's hurt, and Coburn has taken a big step back. I know they'll be fine, but it's a pretty glaring area of weakness.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Apparently McDonagh is having a terrible year, and he's hurt, and Coburn has taken a big step back. I know they'll be fine, but it's a pretty glaring area of weakness.
Ofc Coburn isn't in his prime but I think he can handle 3rd pairing minutes. Weakness compared to what?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe he does sign a one year deal that isn't too bad, but if he does cash in on McDavids wing, I dont think it'll be a very team friendly deal after that..

Like I said its tbd, but from what I remember Holland had a tough time dealing with him and his agent after a 33 point career high season, now he has a 30 goal 54 point season in the bag and if he does well on this team next year, I dont see the negotiations getting any easier..

If he has a good year and it seems like he wants to much or wants to play somewhere else then we can always trade him and get a similar or greater return by then.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Neal’s earning his money this year. If he wasn’t injured he probably would have scored somewhere between 25-30 goals this year and is a big part of our league leading PP. The problem with his deal is that it’s to long and he could become useless as soon as next season.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don’t think I’ve seen a GM do this before, but in a tight year like this, I could see it being plausible.

If, near the end of the season, a team needs something like 2 wins in its last 3 to make the playoffs, and teams like Florida and Nashville are out, I wonder if a GM would think outside the box and try to snag someone like Hoffman or Granlund to help.

I imagine the price would be something along the lines of trading the rights to any upcoming UFA, but the timing makes it interesting.

They wouldn’t be able to play in the playoffs, but could certainly help get a team there.

It's funny you brought this up, I was just thinking of the exact same scenario this morning. I wonder why it hasn't been done before? There has to have been a situation where a team bought a star at the deadline and then fell out of the race, and then another team had to win 3-4 games at the end of the year to make the playoffs. You would think that would be worth a 4-5th round pick in the right situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad