GDT: Trade Deadline: Tampa won the Jeannot sweepstakes!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta
I think this season is giving a lot of weight to doing a complete housecleaning in the offseason from the FO to the coaching staff to the roster. We've got all the hallmarks of a dysfunctional organization, even if the inevitable leaks about it haven't started yet.
Fingers crossed, sell and figure it out in the summer.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Cool, so we just wasted two years waiting for everyone to see Hextall has no idea what he’s doing? Awesome.

This organization needs to send a message. Fire sleepy now and let Burke unload any free agent. Burke sucks but Hextall can’t get anything done. At least try to recoup something for Zucker, for example. I don’t think Hextall is even able to handle something as simple as that at this point.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Exactly, Pens X in shambles though :(
Im not in shambles. I was one of the few people who said Hextall was a horrible hire from the second it was announced, while everyone else looked the other way, defending him by saying crap like but but but JR would have done worse.

If anything, Sleepy has made me look like one of the few people living in reality over the last two years.

For anyone who thinks that the Penguins did badly by losing Kapanen for nothing, I'd like to point to this as how the Penguins signing Kapanen could have gone:

Getting out of Kapanen's deal was amazing fortune.

I still want to know what was offered earlier in the year for him.

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta
Im not in shambles. I was one of the few people who said Hextall was a horrible hire from the second it was announced, while everyone else looked the other way, defending him by saying crap like but but but JR would have done worse.

If anything, Sleepy has made me look like one of the few people living in reality over the last two years.

I still want to know what was offered earlier in the year for him.

Ah yes, the way back game. I wanted to start the rebuild in 2020. Unfortunately people are addicted to nostalgia and now we get to see Sid and the Rolling Stones every game instead of being a few years into the rebuild.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Why, what has Rust been providing constantly that is worth 5.1 million?

I get that Rust is pacing higher and he had two points last night, but we're talking a 10 point difference and Rust isn't really adding any physicality or other qualities to the lineup.

Witty banter with Potash?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For anyone who thinks that the Penguins did badly by losing Kapanen for nothing, I'd like to point to this as how the Penguins signing Kapanen could have gone:

Getting out of Kapanen's deal was amazing fortune.

I would gladly have taken either of them in trade for Kapanen.

Reactions: Pens1566

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Rust is a plus player since the New Year and productive at 5-on-5 despite being demoted from the first powerplay. The Malkin posters somehow have memory holed Rust's game yesterday.

The hatred of Rust is really weird on this board.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I am in the camp with some nice moves Pens can compete here. Now there are a couple caveats in Jarry and injuries. BUt adding a physical LD, moving Dumo to say Boston and then a gritty bottom 6 winger or two and go from there. As to sullivan, will he adapt to the 2023 NHL or keep his smurf speed mentality from Pens success.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Let's recap:

Boston - Adds Orlov and Hathaway while being the top team in the east all season
New York - Added Tarasenko, Mikkola, and likely Patrick Kane
New Jersey - Likely adds Timo Meier
Toronto - Added ROR and will likely add more

Hextall - waive the white f***ing flag. Do not spend precious assets of shit that won't make one bit of difference.

The real shame right now, is that there are A LOT of quality players potentially available that can help past this year and I think Hextall is gonna botch it.

Getting cap space for Kapanen is insanely more valuable than either of those players.

Both of those guys suck.
I won't argue that cap space is nice but it also means we have to spend additional assets to use the space. I guess we'll see what that is used on I guess.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Let's recap:

Boston - Adds Orlov and Hathaway while being the top team in the east all season
New York - Added Tarasenko, Mikkola, and likely Patrick Kane
New Jersey - Likely adds Timo Meier
Toronto - Added ROR and will likely add more

Hextall - waive the white f***ing flag. Do not spend precious assets of shit that won't make one bit of difference.

The real shame right now, is that there are A LOT of quality players potentially available that can help past this year and I think Hextall is gonna botch it.
This is why I said Hextall has to do something. Either make an impact to keep up (even if realistically we're not good enough) or sell off our expiring assets for big returns to re-stock for next year. Simply doing nothing doesn't help either now or the future.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Getting cap space for Kapanen is insanely more valuable than either of those players.

Both of those guys suck.
Again, cap space is great and all, but not if you continue to piss it away like the team has done as of late.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is why I said Hextall has to do something. Either make an impact to keep up (even if realistically we're not good enough) or sell off our expiring assets for big returns to re-stock for next year. Simply doing nothing doesn't help either now or the future.
I feel a Winnick for a 2nd + 4th is in our future.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Rust is a plus player since the New Year and productive at 5-on-5 despite being demoted from the first powerplay. The Malkin posters somehow have memory holed Rust's game yesterday.

The hatred of Rust is really weird on this board.
It's not really hatred. Rust is just a fairly mediocre winger who isn't a play driver and isn't really an all-year player. Even the best defense of him is "he was good yesterday and not bad since a month or two ago", which isn't really a ringing endorsement. He's a decent trade piece and a complimentary part, with a bad NMC. He's known for being streaky and not bringing his effort to the game constantly. What's wrong about that?

I don't know what Malkin has to do with it. Rust was bad in G-Crust. He's been streaky for YEARS. Acting like this is some new fad is weird, considering the board is littered with criticism of Rust's bad play over the last several seasons.

I dunno man, you can accuse me of a lot of things but I've consistently been frustrated by Rust's streakiness for pretty much 5 years or so. I'm at least consistent there. :laugh:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's not really hatred. Rust is just a fairly mediocre winger who isn't a play driver and isn't really an all-year player. Even the best defense of him is "he was good yesterday and not bad since a month or two ago", which isn't really a ringing endorsement. He's a decent trade piece and a complimentary part, with a bad NMC. He's known for being streaky and not bringing his effort to the game constantly. What's wrong about that?

I don't know what Malkin has to do with it. Rust was bad in G-Crust. He's been streaky for YEARS. Acting like this is some new fad is weird, considering the board is littered with criticism of Rust's bad play over the last several seasons.

I dunno man, you can accuse me of a lot of things but I've consistently been frustrated by Rust's streakiness for pretty much 5 years or so. I'm at least consistent there. :laugh:

You have been on Rust for a while. That is true.

Rust was one of our best players for the last 3 years which is why he was a bargain at his new contract. An essential player which is why there was a tug of war between giving him to Crosby & Malkin.

The problem is the full NMC which limits our flexibility. We can't Neal/Hornqvist him for that reason and losing that option sucks.
If not for the full NMC, we'd have plenty of suitors for Rust.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

The GM

Jun 7, 2012

Rust at three and change on a short term contract was tolerable, rust at 5 plus forever with nmc makes me puke

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Rust on his contract isn't even really an anchor, certainly not the way Carter is, it's just that I'd prefer to have a more physical element in the top 6. Maybe that comes at the expense of scoring and is a little cheaper? I'd be okay with that because Rust hasn't really been an asset in the postseason since the B2B and sometimes, it's worth shaking it up even if it means taking a bit of a step backwards in terms of pure offense.

That's what I'm getting at with these retools and trades that have been suggested. If we really believe we can compete, I don't see how we can do it without trying something new in terms of the system and team lineup.

The problem is the full NMC which limits our flexibility. We can't Neal/Hornqvist him for that reason and losing that option sucks.
If not for the full NMC, we'd have plenty of suitors for Rust.
On the one hand, I think by the time we're in complete freefall, Rust will waive. He's not going down with the ship.

On the other hand, by the time he waives, we're f***ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad