GDT: Trade Deadline: Tampa won the Jeannot sweepstakes!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Im not in shambles. I was one of the few people who said Hextall was a horrible hire from the second it was announced, while everyone else looked the other way, defending him by saying crap like but but but JR would have done worse.

If anything, Sleepy has made me look like one of the few people living in reality over the last two years.

I still want to know what was offered earlier in the year for him.
MARTYRDOM

• Haha
Reactions: Borgir

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Rust on his contract isn't even really an anchor, certainly not the way Carter is, it's just that I'd prefer to have a more physical element in the top 6. Maybe that comes at the expense of scoring and is a little cheaper? I'd be okay with that because Rust hasn't really been an asset in the postseason since the B2B and sometimes, it's worth shaking it up even if it means taking a bit of a step backwards in terms of pure offense.

That's what I'm getting at with these retools and trades that have been suggested. If we really believe we can compete, I don't see how we can do it without trying something new in terms of the system and team lineup.

On the one hand, I think by the time we're in complete freefall, Rust will waive. He's not going down with the ship.

On the other hand, by the time he waives, we're f***ed.

I think we're on the same page. Rust may very well be not the type of player we need, but we're locked into him because of the NMC. That's the biggest problem.

By the way, everyone's darling Rakell is a -13 since the New Year. I know, I know. +/-. But I think people's perceptions of who the better player is are colored by some early season small sample size.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, in the end Kap was totally moveable. It's just I guess mystifying why we didn't try it earlier because man, it sure seems like the coach hated him this year? :laugh:

I think we're on the same page. Rust may very well be not the type of player we need, but we're locked into him because of the NMC. That's the biggest problem.

By the way, everyone's darling Rakell is a -13 since the New Year. I know, I know. +/-. But I think people's perceptions of who the better player is are colored by some early season small sample size.

For sure.

The problem always with streaky players like Rackell and Rust is that they're never going to be 100% on, which is why I'd like to get at least a player in that top 6 that brings something else to the table when he's not scoring. You'd think Zucker would have been that guy on L2, but he's not really been good enough physically or offensively to be that person, nor healthy enough to do it consistently.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
For sure.

The problem always with streaky players like Rackell and Rust is that they're never going to be 100% on, which is why I'd like to get at least a player in that top 6 that brings something else to the table when he's not scoring. You'd think Zucker would have been that guy on L2, but he's not really been good enough physically or offensively to be that person, nor healthy enough to do it consistently.

IMO, Zucker is providing that in spades this year. Mind you I still think his acquisition has provided terrible value overall. But now I see this year why so many were hot after the player beforehand. He is good and provides speed and physicality. I really dislike ENGuentzel's game (shout out to whomever coined that) and Rust and Rakell are both uninspiring and you wish we could move one of them. Rust is contractually unmovable and as someone else pointed out to me good luck ever getting FAs if we move Rakell a year after signing him while his performance is still decent enough.

I will say emphatically that whichever lane we pick, Jake Guentzel cannot be on this roster come October. He must go for more grit and speed. Or assets.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, and I don't think we should necessarily re-sign Zucker (unless he takes a huge ass discount), but that's the kind of player we need in the top 6 if we're going to compete.

Like I said in another thread, the real question IMO regarding Jake is do we move him at the TDL or wait 'til the draft and write the year off?

Yeah Zucker is at least a pulse on the team

But I'm not trusting this effort/health to sustain outside this contract year
I wouldn't necessarily mind a one-year sweetheart deal with Zucker, but yeah, I don't want to pay for term with him and absolutely NO NMC/NTC.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I would trade Jake right now. His actual usefulness is nosediving.

The team sucks ass, but owners just need to get playoff revenue and I mean, they can still miss playoffs but they aren't 13-37-2 either....so as much as i call for selling, if they AREN'T going to do that, then they need to do something to keep this year going now. Jake can get something now. But all the cool targets are drying up a bit lol.

Unless you think he can get the team a top 15 spot at the draft. Then maybe i wait. But how can we know?

Reactions: Night Shift

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah, and I don't think we should necessarily re-sign Zucker (unless he takes a huge ass discount), but that's the kind of player we need in the top 6 if we're going to compete.

Like I said in another thread, the real question IMO regarding Jake is do we move him at the TDL or wait 'til the draft and write the year off?

I wouldn't necessarily mind a one-year sweetheart deal with Zucker, but yeah, I don't want to pay for term with him and absolutely NO NMC/NTC.
Devils seem pretty hot for Guentzel. If we get their top prospect and 2 1st for him, I legit don't care about trading him in division. Then get Schmaltz and Chychrun for Dumo, Pickering, Carter (pay him to retire, don't care), our 2024-2025 1sts and a 2nd

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Devils seem pretty hot for Guentzel. If we get their top prospect and 2 1st for him, I legit don't care about trading him in division. Then get Schmaltz and Chychrun for Dumo, Pickering, Carter (pay him to retire, don't care), our 2024-2025 1sts and a 2nd
If we thread that needle, lol, I'd actually suggest Hextall get a plaque. In Cranberry, mind you, not in the main arena.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I ninja edited some more words into my other post

My post still probably bad.

Jake helped SO MUCH for team. Then he started getting hurt. And he still tries. But it's not clicking on the ice.
Jake is a legitimately good goal scorer. The problem is, he's no longer the kind of goal scorer we need, especially at even strength. Sell high, IMO.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the correct move is to utilize Jake in a trade to try and make this team's near and distant future a lot less painful. I don't doubt for a second he could land you an absolute haul, and the time to move him is sometime within the next 12 months. If he makes it to next summer, he's getting an unmovable $9 million AAV deal with a very strict NTC that will decimate his value, to this team, and as an asset in a trade.

But people are gonna stomp their feet and pretend this team's not miles away from competing, and physically recoil at the thought of trading Guentzel.

The more realistic (it's not realistic with this team, sadly) approach is to move Zucker and Dumo with heavy salary retained to try and snag a 1st and a 2nd, or two 2nds and a prospect. Without a doubt, I think those two could land that type of return.
Barbeshev for just a prospect? If we missed that cheap hextall is dumb
This team just had to waive Kapanen to make the cap work for activating Rutta. I don't think they could've fit in his $2.25 million unless St. Louis somehow wanted to take another few million of terrible bottom-6 off of the Pens' hands. :laugh:

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Barbashsev is gone to Vegas... maybe they are looking at defensemen and bottom 6 wingers that are all scrubs...

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If we do trade picks, it is important that we get a lower pick back. If we give a 1st we should ask for a 4th back, 2nd for a 5th back, etc. Those picks can come in handy if we need extra retention or to pay someone to take a player. Worst case is to use them to take a flier on an overage player or someone from Europe, etc.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Domi at 50% and they take Blueger and McGinn. Probably cost our 2nd in 2023, Hallander and say a 3rd next year.
So, a second rounder this year, and a third rounder next year? I like Domi but I'm not doing that.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are not one player away and haven't been in years. However, they are not that far away if a couple smart moves can fix the holes here. LD, 3rd line RW and 4th line size and bang on RW can be easily addressed. Now can Teddy B be good enough as a third line center with a much better RW than Carter? I do think he can be better than he has been and I really go with that than moving higher end assets to address third line center. I agree Jake is a player I move. I have said Jake to Minny his home town for Foligno and Hartman. Money is 1 million in Pens favor and trade addresses the size and grit element lacking in the top 9. Foligno can be a Kunitz type LW for Sid. F Sully trade for a physical RW like Lafferty. So Jake to Minny, Dumo to Boston and Lafferty are all deals that can be done. Now a pick for Soucy if the cost for Chychran is just to high. Adding Soucy, Foligno, Hartman and Lafferty elevates the physical capability need for a playoff run.

Foligno Sid Rakell
Zucker Geno Rust
McGinn TB Hartman
DOC Poehling Lafferty

Letang Soucy
Petry Petts
Rutta POJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events