Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
If Tanev got a 2nd that means the chances of dumba pulling a 1st went from 0.000010% to 0.000005%. Bummer.

Reactions: lanky

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Tanev effectively got two 2nds and a 3rd and could wind up being 3 2nds.

Edit:

Edit, edit: Now it is being reported the conditional 3rd is not a 2nd but 3rd is received only if Stars make the SC Finals. So 1 2nd, 1 prospect who was 48OA and a maybe bonus pick.

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Tanev effectively got two 2nds and a 3rd and could wind up being 3 2nds.

Edit:

Edit, edit: Now it is being reported the conditional 3rd is not a 2nd but 3rd is received only if Stars make the SC Finals. So 1 2nd, 1 prospect who was 48OA and a maybe bonus pick.

I'd say a 2nd and 4th would be a fair assessment based on a quick look at Grushnikov's OHL/AHL point output since being drafted and the conditions on that 3rd.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
2nd seems to be the sticker price. They got it. Tanev is not well-rounded enough to demand more, plus he is on an expiring deal. Anything else, while not overwhelming, is a nice bonus. I liked Grushnikov in Hamilton.

I wonder if Dumba goes soon. I figured he would be the backup plan to teams for Tanev, especially Dallas. It's too bad Tanev went there. Dallas especially knows what Dumba was like in the playoffs last year.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of D on the market (especially those in Dumba's category, so excluding guys like Chychrun and Hanifin), so we may benefit from that even though Dumba has had a poor season.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
It is interesting though that NJ got a 4th for eating half of Tanev's deal. Last year, BA got a 3rd for eating half of Kane's, whose salary was higher. So these seem to be the going rates.

In the event that we don't use our two remaining retention slots on Zucker and Dumba (or some other combination of two players), we really need to help facilitate some other deal(s) for essentially free picks. It is a missed opportunity otherwise.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Flames are getting some backlash on the Tanev return. I think they did fine.
What did people expect? He’s a 34 year old rental defensive defenseman, that isn’t very physical. He’s a fine player. One any team would be happy to have. But they were NEVER going to get a 1st for him. My expectation all along was that they’d get a 2nd. They effectively got TWO seconds. One pick and one prospect who was just selected in the 2nd recently and is already in the AHL. They basically got twice the return I expected. Folks online are acting like they got half. It’s crazy.

depends what you think of the prospect.
I’ve seen people foolishly looking at his stat lines and writing him off. As if Tanev HIMSELF has ever been a point producer. The prospect plays the same style. And people are too blinded by default negativity to even think of an example that’s in front of their face as the principle asset in the trade. How can people forget about players LIKE tanev when discussing the return FOR tanev? It’s mind blowing.

“This Russian can’t play. Doesn’t put up points. No future…”

7771474A-A797-430C-8C90-EDC5BF2750F2.jpeg

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I think my hope for Dumba is a third. If I was a playoff team, I wouldn't want him. He has been brutal this year, and on the decline for the past few years. But, the limited market may help us. Teams could feel they need to get something. Enter Dumba.

Makes me think of Gostisbehere last year. Had two great years in Arizona and the best we could do was a third. He was just not desirable (more so because of his play style not meshing to playoffs). I wouldn't be shocked if Carolina was the only team to make an offer on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: hbk and MIGs Dog

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think my hope for Dumba is a third. If I was a playoff team, I wouldn't want him. He has been brutal this year, and on the decline for the past few years. But, the limited market may help us. Teams could feel they need to get something. Enter Dumba.

Makes me think of Gostisbehere last year. Had two great years in Arizona and the best we could do was a third. He was just not desirable (more so because of his play style not meshing to playoffs). I wouldn't be shocked if Carolina was the only team to make an offer on him.
I am hoping we upgrade a pick. That’s my expectation especially if we are eating cap.

Reactions: DustyDangler

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
What did people expect? He’s a 34 year old rental defensive defenseman, that isn’t very physical. He’s a fine player. One any team would be happy to have. But they were NEVER going to get a 1st for him. My expectation all along was that they’d get a 2nd. They effectively got TWO seconds. One pick and one prospect who was just selected in the 2nd recently and is already in the AHL. They basically got twice the return I expected. Folks online are acting like they got half. It’s crazy.

I’ve seen people foolishly looking at his stat lines and writing him off. As if Tanev HIMSELF has ever been a point producer. The prospect plays the same style. And people are too blinded by default negativity to even think of an example that’s in front of their face as the principle asset in the trade. How can people forget about players LIKE tanev when discussing the return FOR tanev? It’s mind blowing.

“This Russian can’t play. Doesn’t put up points. No future…”
Their expectations are based on hype. The more a player is discussed in the media, the greater their perceived value of him is.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

I wouldn't be surprised if Tre has been inquiring about him... I'll likely cry but he always liked him.

A desperate team will likely cave, in the fear of missing out.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I think we'll do Zucker a solid and send him to Vegas. They have lots of picks.

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I wouldn't be surprised if Tre has been inquiring about him... I'll likely cry but he always liked him.

A desperate team will likely cave, in the fear of missing out.
Dangle and the SDPN crew were talking about that in his latest podcast during a "Why not Dumba?" discussion about improving your blueline.

IIRC, Toronto was one of the teams in on Dumba in the summer.
They were.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Dangle and the SDPN crew were talking about that in his latest podcast during a "Why not Dumba?" discussion about improving your blueline.

They were.
Apologies you had to listen to Dangle. Like many on the main boards, he is one of the loudest but not the most sensible Leaf fan.

I know we were in on him but I was relived we dodged him only to get Klingberg :laugh:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
On the latest Marek Pod, Elliotte Friedman said that Dumba and Toronto wanted to make a signing happen this summer but Dumba needed 1 or 1.5 more than Klingberg at that time, so the leafs made their choice and dumba came here, ultimately for even less.

My take: Odds are both sides regret their choice and wish they made it work. With Tanev and Zadorov traded seemingly “anywhere but to Tre” - I guess dumba is likely VERY much on Torontos radar. He fits the type they want. And they wanted him specifically as recently as 6 months ago.

I think the Islanders ‘24 3rd makes some sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad