Prospect Info: LHD Alfons Freij #37 2024 NHL draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Freij was in the Swedish J20 league, and he scored a bunch. He was 3rd highest scoring D in the U-18 tournament. So far, his offensive production has been good.

My question with Heinola is whether he can translate his offensive production at levels below the NHL to productive play at the NHL level, given his limitations in skating and size. I think so, based on his pre-season last year, but time will tell.

I think Freij's skating is a lot better than Heinola's at that age, and he's likely to be bigger, too. He likely doesn't have the same hockey sense, but time will tell.

"His limitations in skating and size".

He's 6 feet tall and is a better skater than every dman the Jets have outside of Morrissey. Better than Demelo, better than Pionk (both ways, Pionk is better attacking but is a tragedy defending), everyone else isn't even a debate. He's been an elite AHL dman for years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
"His limitations in skating and size".

He's 6 feet tall and is a better skater than every dman the Jets have outside of Morrissey. Better than Demelo, better than Pionk (both ways, Pionk is better attacking but is a tragedy defending), everyone else isn't even a debate. He's been an elite AHL dman for years.
I think Samberg is a better skater than Heinola. He's faster and he absolutely smothers transition with his skating and gap control and mobility (at his size). I think the Jets really need improved skating / mobility on D. Heinola would be an improvement over some of the current group, but he's not in the same class as Salomonsson or Freij (and that was the comparison I was making).

Heinola's 6 ft tall, but slight (Freij is already 195 lbs). He has a hard time pinning forwards and stopping the cycle sometimes. He's very good with his stick in those areas, but needs to be more consistent.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think Samberg is a better skater than Heinola. He's faster and he absolutely smothers transition with his skating and gap control and mobility (at his size). I think the Jets really need improved skating / mobility on D. Heinola would be an improvement over some of the current group, but he's not in the same class as Salomonsson or Freij (and that was the comparison I was making).

Heinola's 6 ft tall, but slight (Freij is already 195 lbs). He has a hard time pinning forwards and stopping the cycle sometimes. He's very good with his stick in those areas, but needs to be more consistent.
A guy like Heinola will need to learn how to defend at the NHL level with his stick, his brain, and body position like Nick Lidstrom. Beating guys to the puck on dumps/chips and giving a quick outlet before contact (like Toby) will also be a huge key to him excelling at the NHL level

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A guy like Heinola will need to learn how to defend at the NHL level with his stick, his brain, and body position like Nick Lidstrom. Beating guys to the puck on dumps/chips and giving a quick outlet before contact (like Toby) will also be a huge key to him excelling at the NHL level
Agree. Enstrom might be a good example, though his skating was at a higher level than Heinola. Lindstrom had more size and reach.

I think Heinola can make the transition but he's not a lock and I'm not sure he'll get to a 2nd pair level.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree. Enstrom might be a good example, though his skating was at a higher level than Heinola. Lindstrom had more size and reach.

I think Heinola can make the transition but he's not a lock and I'm not sure he'll get to a 2nd pair level.

He’s taken the longer path to get there after last seasons set back. I am looking forward to see him get a larger sample size of games. I believe he can handle the NHL game but time will tell.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Also Pionk should learn this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad