Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
As far depth defenseman go...Radim Simek from the Sharks might be a low-key target. Solid Defenseman who plays a physical game. Joe Thornton knows him as well.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
As far depth defenseman go...Radim Simek from the Sharks might be a low-key target. Solid Defenseman who plays a physical game. Joe Thornton knows him as well.

He's not really an upgrade on anybody in our top 10 except for maybe Rosen. He hits but he doesn't do much else and even then he's not a big guy.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Alex Galchenyuk Stats and News
Chucky is at 8 games with the Leafs and quickly approaching the 10 game mark where he can no longer be sent to taxi-squad without being waived. In making trades you gotta know whether or not you need his cap space, at least 'temporarily', to make a trade. Will be interesting to see if they either make a trade before that 10 game mark (Wednesday) or if they hold him out once he hits 9 games.

Just something to keep an eye out for.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
There is no way they’ll hold him out of game action because he’ll hit the 10 game mark. He’s played really well these 8 games and helped spark that second line finally. He’s outplayed Vesey and Boyd who were claimed on waivers and has been outplaying current Leafs like Engvall, Simmonds and Thornton.

Reactions: Avilaj07

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
One week to the deadline. Isn't there usually more movement by this point?

Don't have much of a wishlist for the Leafs. Mostly a 3/4C who can win faceoffs and PK so we don't have to keep running out Spezza for the first 10s. Nashville probably stays in the playoff race, so that means Glendenning, Sutter, or Laughton?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
One week to the deadline. Isn't there usually more movement by this point?

Don't have much of a wishlist for the Leafs. Mostly a 3/4C who can win faceoffs and PK so we don't have to keep running out Spezza for the first 10s. Nashville probably stays in the playoff race, so that means Glendenning, Sutter, or Laughton?

It depends on what you want.... if it's more of a 3C, your list is correct. I think a 3C guy, is more of a need than a 4C, but if you are willing to accept a 4C, Derek Grant is likely available, and while an offensive black hole, he is one of the best faceoffs/grit/PK 4C out there. I think Laughton would be the ideal choice though, for what we need.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Flyers
Scott Laughton
For
2021 2nd & Alexander Barabanov

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Laughton - Mikheyev
Thornton/Spezza/Simmonds/Engvall

next season:
Sign Barclay Goodrow

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Goodrow - Laughton - Simmonds
Mikheyev - Engvall - Spezza

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Toronto Maple Leafs Rumours: A few teams believe Kyle Dubas has a move in his back pocket, per Elliotte Friedman | MLHS

Friedman: A few teams believe Dubas has a move in his back pocket (SN590)

On the Lead Off, Elliotte Friedman discussed the position the Leafs most want to address before the deadline barring the goaltending situation throwing a wrench in their plans.

I have talked to a couple of teams who believe Dubas has something in his back pocket — a move he knows he can make. I think it comes down to whether he has to get somewhere where the money makes sense, or is he waiting to see if there is anything bigger he can do? There are some teams in holding patterns: Nashville is one, Columbus is one. I think you kind of have to get through that and figure out where you are in 10 days or something sooner.

I suspect he knows what he is going to do. It is just waiting to see if it all works or if something else drops on his lap.

Friedman on the area of the roster Kyle Dubas most wants to address:

I believe the Leafs want to find a top-six forward if they can — a winger.
There are two things here: They don’t have a ton of cap room, so if you watch some of the stuff they have done with the waivers and the cap juggling they have done, it is clear Kyle Dubas knows the number of what he needs and he is making sure he can do it. The Andersen things could throw a wrench into it because they don’t have much cap space. But I do think the left-winger or top-six forward is the thing he would like to do the most.

I do think they have considered the idea of a depth defenseman, but it probably comes down to what they have to do in goal or if they can move someone else to clear some room. They won’t have the ability to do all of this stuff if the goalie is involved. I do think the top-six forward is the ultimate #1.

Friedman on when the Leafs will need to make up their minds about the goaltending situation and whether they need to add:

It sounds to me that the decision will be made sometime in the middle of next week. They said everything seemed to go well with Andersen’s appointment. They are being very, very tight-lipped about what the issue is here. I just get the sense that this decision is going to be made at the middle-to-end of next week. They have called around.

They are being smart about it. They are telling people, “We are not going to do it unless we absolutely have to. We don’t have a ton of cap room.” They don’t want to use it on a goalie if they don’t have to. But they are doing their due diligence around the league and have said, “This is on our radar. We don’t know what our ultimate decision is going to be, but if we have to, what is the situation?” I think they have done that legwork.

The Campbell thing is another part of this. The issue here is that it just seems like he gets through games and then isn’t feeling great. The other day, Keefe made a comment along the lines of, “He has just got to be straight with us.” That says to me that Campbell is saying he can go, and then something comes up. This is a guy who three times this year after a win has had to sit out. I think they are asking him to be straight on how he feels.

I think this is a decision that gets made end of next week, kind of.

Friedman on whether the Leafs have revisited the Alexandar Georgiev possibility with the Rangers at any point:

It is a good question. I haven’t heard it. I just know last year that they were never close. There was a lot of talk about it, but I heard they were never close.

Sam Bennett is my stealth pick for the trade in his back pocket. 6 weeks ago it was a hot rumour, now? Not really.

Probably not in high demand, selling team, reclamation project.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Sam Bennett is my stealth pick for the trade in his back pocket. 6 weeks ago it was a hot rumour, now? Not really.

Probably not in high demand, selling team, reclamation project.
he is a better target as a UFA after he is Not qualified ...else, he's a rental and too expensive to resign

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
he is a better target as a UFA after he is Not qualified ...else, he's a rental and too expensive to resign

It's no problem as long as he is valued as a rental.

The greater concern is price and what level of impact he would have in our lineup. He has been extremely inconsistent and, for the most part, very underwhelming. Sure he is physical but I am not sure he brings anything that would upgrade our current top 12.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
It's no problem as long as he is valued as a rental.

The greater concern is price and what level of impact he would have in our lineup. He has been extremely inconsistent and, for the most part, very underwhelming. Sure he is physical but I am not sure he brings anything that would upgrade our current top 12.

he cant play center, and would be bottom 6, so, who does he replace?

Thornton has been one of the poorest players on the team, but, too respected to sit him, and nobody else to bump.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Goalie insurance
Depth D
Forward with some jam

Ullmark for a 2nd + maybe Andersen if he can't LTR the rest of the year? (His salary was 1M for the year so not much for Sabres to take)
Merill/Hutton for a 4th 2022
Laughton at 50% retained for a 1st

Laughton-Matthews-Marner
Gally-JT-88
Soup-Engvall-Hyman
Kerfoot-Spezza-Simmonds
Thornton

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Merrill/Hutton-Bogosian
Dermott (Don't think Keefe trusts him)

Campbell (when 100% healthy)
Ullmark

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think these next two days will be huge. Philly plays Boston back to back, if Philly looses both it could put them in sell mode. I don’t think they’ll blow it up completely but a guy like Laughton might be available considering he’s a UFA this off-season. He would be a huge addition to our team.

Unless Freddy goes on LTIR, I doubt the Leafs really add a goaltender.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
^^^

SprDave beat us all.
Lol how did I miss that.

I mentioned mostly all of this on the 29th. Almost a regurgitation of my post.

With the contract break down at that point, I wasn't going to be shocked then if his name was pushed forward to the media as their primary focus.

And I'm not surprised now that it has been mentioned, I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Dell included in any deal as they get closer.
Yeah he does fit on the roster. Consistent goal scorer but a different kind of player to our team. Would be a nice addition.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Scott Laughton Makes a lot of sense as that Forward Chris Johnston thinks Dubas is going for.

Reactions: TMLAM34

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Would the Wild be interested in a Kerfoot/Ryan Hartman Swap?

Scott Laughton (30% Retained) for Engvall + 2nd/3rd

Hyman - Mathews - Marner
Mikheyev - Laughton - Simmonds
Thornton - Spezza - Hartman

I think Positionally this forward group looks a lot better. Also adds 2 forwards who fit the Playoff style that Johnston is referring too

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Would the Wild be interested in a Kerfoot/Ryan Hartman Swap?

Scott Laughton (30% Retained) for Engvall + 2nd/3rd

Hyman - Mathews - Marner
Mikheyev - Laughton - Simmonds
Thornton - Spezza - Hartman

I think Positionally this forward group looks a lot better. Also adds 2 forwards who fit the Playoff style that Johnston is referring too

Would rather give up the 1st, keep Engvall, sit Thornton. Thornton has been useless.

1 pt in last 14 gp and I can't see the advanced stats being flattering either.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Would rather give up the 1st, keep Engvall, sit Thornton. Thornton has been useless.

1 pt in last 14 gp and I can't see the advanced stats being flattering either.

I'm completely fine with that, but we all know the Media is going to start crucifying Keefe and Dubas if Thornton sits out. I also think Thornton is gonna be of impact in the playoffs. So Idk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad