Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 2nd Rd Pick (38th OA) - Fraser Minten (C)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
To sum up (from what I've read so far)

- The kid put up these numbers as a 17yr old (turned 18 3 days ago)
- Has a high IQ
- Can skate

Its a solid pick in a weak draft

Reactions: Tarmore

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

NHL Potential​

Minten has the potential to be a solid bottom-six center that also kills penalties. A player that probably will not eclipse 10 goals a season but will be out there late in games when defending a lead. There are still some areas he needs to improve, like his faceoff percentage, but once he does, he should have no problem finding an NHL job.

Well hopefully by the time he is ready we will have a lead to defend in a closeout game.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Got to see him in person as he played against my hometown Kelowna Rockets, but I don't really recall much of him to be honest.

Here is a bit from a scouting report from another agency.

View attachment 566183

What makes Minten so intriguing is his ability to remain calm and collected in his own zone. He doesn’t make mistakes often and understands where he needs to be in the defensive zone at all times. When he gets to a loose puck, he is able to make the smart breakout play which is a rare quality to have for a 17-year-old. His calmness in the defensive zone is a large reason why the Blazers have given up the least amount of goals in the Western Hockey League’s (WHL) Western Conference and own the fifth-best penalty kill in the entire league.

As for his offensive game, this is an area where Minten does need to improve. While he has shown an ability to get open which has led to scoring chances, his ability to carry the puck into the zone is an area of concern. Rather than doing that, he seems to favour the dump and chase game. Luckily, he has made positive strides in his game on the boards and is able to pressure the defence into turnovers. Driving the center of the ice with the puck is a part of his game he will need to develop next season, as sometimes passing it off to his winger will not be an option.

NHL Potential​

Minten has the potential to be a solid bottom-six center that also kills penalties. A player that probably will not eclipse 10 goals a season but will be out there late in games when defending a lead. There are still some areas he needs to improve, like his faceoff percentage, but once he does, he should have no problem finding an NHL job.

Fraser Minten – NHL Draft Projection

When it comes to draft position, there is no clear indication of where he fits in. Some, believe he is an early third-rounder, while others see him more as a late third-rounder, maybe even falling to the fourth. If he has a strong playoff, it is not out of the question he could even push his way into the second round, but the most likely outcome is somewhere between 75th-80th overall,

He sounds like Riley Nash.

Reactions: fahad203

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ok then why wouldn’t you weigh the analysis of the scouts then who all has him going in 3rd round and claiming him to be at best a 3rd liner

These comments are not based on public rankings but rather what the hockey world has him ranked. A 3rd liner with above average skill

I'd imagine the Leafs scouts/front office may have a better idea if other teams are interested in a player than outsiders making the public rankings.

And ultimately, if your scouts really think a guy is going to be the next Point, or major impact player, you don't risk letting him get snatched up by another team by hoping he's available during the next round, you just make your selection and get him.

That doesn't necessarily make what the Leafs just did the right move - that'll get determined when we see the end result of his development.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Not a fan of the pick TBH. It's just too Frederic Gaulthier like IMO. I am a firm believer in drafting skill and teaching systems/intelligence. If you look at Nazem Kadri for example, he is a prime example of a player who has adapted his game from just skill to a 200 ft game.

Of course Hockey IQ is something that is a major asset, but it is extremely hard to learn skill.

I have faith in our scouting staff, and I very rarely have questioned their judgement under Dubas, but this just seems like a miss IMO.

Hopefully I am wrong!

Welcome to the buds Fraser!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
My preference would have been to have traded up to secure Yurov. That would have brightened the organizational outlook long term. You know, proactively build with high value pieces.

I agree, I would have preferred a trade up as well Yurov or Ohgren. I just hate commenting here, because if you question a move by Dubas and co people try and make you feel shit about it. Adding another high impact prospect should have been the play. I get the need to move off of Mrazek. Relative to what other prices were paid, it’s not a bad move. Idk I just don’t have a good feeling about the move back. But I’m just a Joe schmo from Toronto so I could be wrong.

I also find it funny that people say “our last couple of second rounders have been great, so this one will be too” Robertson and Knies still have yet to establish themselves as NHLers.

I’m not sure I really understand what Kyle is doing this off-season. I just hope he finds some good prospects in the later rounds.

Reactions: sylejman

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009

"Giants regular here, he was an absolute pain to play against. So hard to describe but almost every time you saw a smart, simple play on either end it ended up being number 16. You don't necessarily notice him doing anything crazy but he makes things happen.... I don't see the capacity for him to be a play driver at the NHL level. He could be a really good middle six complimentary player, though. Think the ceiling of a smaller Nick Paul?"

"I'm the only one who think that he is really underrated? I really like his skillset and he is one of the most young player in that draft."

"His adjusted NHLE is quite high, in part because of his late birthday."

Will prob be a part of the next two Canadian WJ teams (?) (after this summer's showcase)

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How? The point of trading Mrazek was clearing cap space...that doesn't change regardless of who people sitting on their couches think we should have taken.

When you’ve been a fan of the team for decades and decades the draft and making the best pick possible to try and secure impact players for long term gain year after year is the single most important habit. When it’s mismanaged it’s the single most painful and regrettable thing because of the long lasting impact of missing out on players at the start of their careers.

So far as a fan I’ve outlasted Fletcher, Dryden, Smith, Quinn, Ferguson, Burke, Nonis, Lamoriello and over the long run you really see the loss in quality on a roster with these bad draft habits.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That seems like a pretty reasonable comparable.

Maybe he is the new verision of Leafs assistant coach Manny Malhotra style of player.

Malhotra started with a lot more talent but settled into a role. I guess we’ll see what kind of tools this guy has to work with.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
When you’ve been a fan of the team for decades and decades the draft and making the best pick possible to try and secure impact players for long term gain year after year is the single most important habit. When it’s mismanaged it’s the single most painful and regrettable thing because of the long lasting impact of missing out on players at the start of their careers.

So far as a fan I’ve outlasted Fletcher, Dryden, Smith, Quinn, Ferguson, Burke, Nonis, Lamoriello and over the long run you really see the loss in quality on a roster with these bad draft habits.
Again I am not sure how drafting Mitten specifically makes the Mrazek trade look any different. As for your unrelated tangent, yes we are all Leaf fans and it has sucked.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Don’t see a ton of upside but hopefully he’s a guy that plays with some jam and can be a solid third line centre. Not really swinging for the fences here.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree, I would have preferred a trade up as well Yurov or Ohgren. I just hate commenting here, because if you question a move by Dubas and co people try and make you feel shit about it. Adding another high impact prospect should have been the play. I get the need to move off of Mrazek. Relative to what other prices were paid, it’s not a bad move. Idk I just don’t have a good feeling about the move back. But I’m just a Joe schmo from Toronto so I could be wrong.

I also find it funny that people say “our last couple of second rounders have been great, so this one will be too” Robertson and Knies still have yet to establish themselves as NHLers.

I’m not sure I really understand what Kyle is doing this off-season. I just hope he finds some good prospects in the later rounds.

Kyle and Leafs management are in the yearly cap crisis management mode. Time will tell, but it feels like they can be creative and clever on one hand but the championship climb is stalling and they are burning assets all over the place, making bets and fixing mistakes. It’s a tough spot to be in.

Reactions: francis246

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Again I am not sure how drafting Mitten specifically makes the Mrazek trade look any different. As for your unrelated tangent, yes we are all Leaf fans and it has sucked.

Leafs took a hit in draft capital to create flexibility in finding a goalie, were left on the outside on 3x goalie maneuvers and 2x guys we were reportedly interested in and we ended up with a guy who is lower potential than what would have been available originally. What was accomplished?

Reactions: ITM

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
"Dependable" is the scouting equivalent to real estate agents calling a home "spacious".
It's code for "avoid".

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
"Dependable" is the scouting equivalent to real estate agents calling a home "spacious".
It's code for "avoid".

I’d buy a spacious home in this Toronto environment any day. And looking at the kind of guys Toronto has, dependable wouldn’t be so bad.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Apparently Minten likes to model his game after Horvat, wouldn’t be disappointed at all if he turned into a similar player to him that’s for sure.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Feeling pretty confident our scouts would not take this guy this high unless they saw some untapped offensive potential. I know nothing about him and I’m going to trust that we know what we are doing

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Leafs took a hit in draft capital to create flexibility in finding a goalie, were left on the outside on 3x goalie maneuvers and 2x guys we were reportedly interested in and we ended up with a guy who is lower potential than what would have been available originally. What was accomplished?
I mean you answered your own question. They traded Mrazek to create cap flexibility for the off season. That is it. What they do with it and how they use it is to be seen and can be judge...when the off season is done.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I mean you answered your own question. They traded Mrazek to create cap flexibility for the off season. That is it. What they do with it and how they use it is to be seen and can be judge...when the off season is done.

Not really. 3x goalies were moved out in the last 24 hours so they now have less selection and who is to say if the price doesn’t go up? The whole sequence is a mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad