Proposal: TOR-PHI 6 Player Deal Giroux and Nylander the main pieces

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
TOR decides that their winning window is sooner. PHI sees their winning window as later.

To TOR
Giroux
Del Zotto
Mason

To PHI
Nylander
Kadri
Nielsen

PHI gains a talented playmaker (Nylander) for many years, center depth for many years, and a future Right handed D.

Toronto gets their top C while Matthews develops at 2C. Del Zotto plays with Rielly on the top line. TOR gets their back-up goalie.
LMAO...Hextall hangs up the phone so hard in cause irreversible hearing damage to Lou.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You're really not better off at all though. Giroux is only 28 and 5+ years away from a drop off in play. Contrary to popular HF beliefs, players aren't useless once they hit 30.

Absolute best case scenario is Nylander ends up as good as Giroux (unlikely). When you have a chance to get a top 10 forward under 30 for a massive underpayment you take it no questions asked.

Well you say that, but....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-players-peak-hockey-metrics-1.2646054
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/3/13/5500522/nhl-scoring-stats-rates-age-analysis
https://hockey-graphs.com/2015/04/17/nhl-player-physical-peak-estimation/

etc etc. Not sure if there's a consensus peak, but most of what I've read on it suggests that by 28-29 the decline is starting. The best years of Giroux, if we were to acquire him, would likely be while the leafs team around him wasn't good enough to contend.

I agree that Nylander's ceiling is somewhere around Giroux, and I think his likelihood of hitting it is probably a little better than you do given that he's been successful at 3 levels of pro hockey including the NHL (given, small sample).

If Nylander hits that ceiling or anywhere near it, we get all of his peak years, plus his ELC and Sophmore contract years rather than Giroux's $8.275M. So the value of Nylander IF he becomes as good as Giroux is much higher than Giroux's value. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

I think it's silly to use broad strokes like "you should always acquire players of X level, regardless of situation" or your team ends up not peaking at the same time like cup contenders do

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Oddly enough, when I was going through Leaf players in my head, I thought of JVR, Rielly, Nylander, Marner... totally forgot Matthews was a Leaf. Still can't believe something good happened to us lol. Even though I was discussing him like 10 minutes ago. But yeah, Giroux is a proven 1C -- Matthews as of now, probably doesn't have that sort of value to most teams.

Ya we're on waiting time for some of these young assets to prove it at the NHL level, no sense in selling low.

also, best time to be a leaf fan in my lifetime I think

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Mason and MDZ getting thrown under the bus here as well... both damn good pieces to come alongside G.

But neither team has need to trade any of their big pieces right now... should be tooling up to face each other in the playoffs in the next few years though

Mr Hockey*

Ancient I know.

Have you seen how the Oilers gave faired by building their team around a bunch of 18-20 year olds without any quality vets to insulate them?

I would not even trade Giroux for Nylander straight up at this point in time. He will be in his 30's when the leafs are making runs for the cup. Willie will be in his prime.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Leafs wouldn't give up anything of value for Giroux, he's too old for the stage of the team is in. By the time the Leafs are ready to be contenders he will be well past his prime and entering his final years of his career. Leafs would never give up Nylander for him.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This deal favours the leafs greatly in terms of value, and it's not really close. What I have a problem is with people who are saying that giroux is worth more than all the 3 pieces alone. A top 10 (top 5 voted by hf) prospect, a top 6 center signed to a sweet deal, and a top 4 d prospect is great value for him. But than comes in reality. The reality is leafs will not offer those pieces for giroux, and that the flyers would potebtially block the leafs if they did. Giroux is the franchise player for the flyers. They made the playoffs last year and have built a strong prospect pool. Giroux will play out his contract as a flyer. The leafs wouldn't do this Deal, or any offering top prospects due to where we are right now. Claude giroux is an elite player but he can't carry the leafs to a cup by himself. The leafs talent is building and it will be close to 5 years before we ate serious cup contenders (imo and that's if the rebuild works out). We have drafted and developed willy, Kadri etc. The leafs have a core in place and envision these guys as part of them. The deal is unrealistic from both sides though the op is great value for the leafs.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Leafs wouldn't give up anything of value for Giroux, he's too old for the stage of the team is in. By the time the Leafs are ready to be contenders he will be well past his prime and entering his final years of his career. Leafs would never give up Nylander for him.

And that's fine to view it that way.

But he does not have close to the VALUE Giroux has right now league wide.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I never stated he did, but that's not the point. Leafs would never do that trade, it's a poorly planned trade offer.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

From a team that's contending, if the cap could be figured out, Giroux would get a package with some major futures - blue chip prospect+1st+ He's an elite player for sure, just doesn't make sense for the leafs situation

Mr Hockey*

Flyers can get a lot more value from other teams, leafs dont need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad